Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tow Toyota Sequoia’s over 17 years and zero quality issues. Honestly never went back to the dealer. I want to downsize to a midsize suv. Why am I seeing all the quality issues? Should I buy or stay away? Thx

·
Registered
189 Posts
First year of a completely new model. Subaru is doing recalls for things that are in the tenth of a percent of vehicles effected. With numbers that low most manufacturers would pay off the few actual effected over incurring the cost of recalling all possibly effected.

Also keep in mind Toyota reliability is largely a function of no new technology until well proven. There are still Toyota models that don't have CarPlay nor its android equilevent.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Subaru makes very reliable well engineered cars. If anything goes wrong they have a good reputation for taking care of their customers.

Of all the car manufacturers, Subaru is one of the least risky and their owner satisfaction rating is incredible. I'm on my second Subaru and I am very happy with both. The Ascent isn't perfect, no vehicle is, but it's fantastic overall.

Tell us what else you're looking at and we can comment on whether or not the Ascent is a better choice. Chances are it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First year of a completely new model. Subaru is doing recalls for things that are in the tenth of a percent of vehicles effected. With numbers that low most manufacturers would pay off the few actual effected over incurring the cost of recalling all possibly effected.

Also keep in mind Toyota reliability is largely a function of no new technology until well proven. There are still Toyota models that don't have CarPlay nor its android equilevent.
I somewhat agree. Yes lack of technology since mine is a 2010, but negative comments that don’t have anything to do with technology issues is my big concern. Rattles, noise, etc. these are not technology but quality issues all the way around. The Subaru is giving me a killer deal, hard to refuse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subaru makes very reliable well engineered cars. If anything goes wrong they have a good reputation for taking care of their customers.

Of all the car manufacturers, Subaru is one of the least risky and their owner satisfaction rating is incredible. I'm on my second Subaru and I am very happy with both. The Ascent isn't perfect, no vehicle is, but it's fantastic overall.

Tell us what else you're looking at and we can comment on whether or not the Ascent is a better choice. Chances are it is.
I just saw so many negative comments on the forum, it’s scary. driving a Toyota for 17 years and only one time I had to go to the dealership to get a guage replaced.Agree, that I don’t have a lot of technology in my 2010 sequoia but mechanically I have had literally No recalls or waiting at a dealer for a repair.

I keep my vehicles for 8-10 years so I like a low cost of ownership. That’s why I’m so particular because we will have it for many years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is our 4th Subaru. We waited until the 2020 model becauseall first year runs have issues, plus my buddy who worked at the dealer in the shop said they were fixing a lot of them.

So far our 2020 has been issue free. Really just nit picky things or my normal complaining ;) Have not had a need to have it worked on yet.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I somewhat agree. Yes lack of technology since mine is a 2010, but negative comments that don’t have anything to do with technology issues is my big concern. Rattles, noise, etc. these are not technology but quality issues all the way around. T
You'll see exactly the same thing in online forums for pretty much every other vehicle made...folks with concerns complain and folks who don't have them are out driving with a smile on their faces. That skews the appearance big-time. My MY19 Ascent Touring has been steller.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You'll see exactly the same thing in online forums for pretty much every other vehicle made...folks with concerns complain and folks who don't have them are out driving with a smile on their faces. That skews the appearance big-time. My MY19 Ascent Touring has been steller.
This. People with no issues generally aren't on boards.

Boards kind of break down into 3 main categories; those that want to learn more about their vehicle, super fans, and those with issues seeking guidance/answers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Every manufacturer has issues. Just look up any brand on carcomplaints.com in link below. In fact, Toyota has about 14,300 complaints versus 2,400 for Subaru, but this can be a function of many things and larger sales numbers. But again, don’t let the posts scare you. It’s a very small percentage of people with issues, and as mentioned Subaru is very customer focused. Im at 10,000 miles with no issues.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This comes up every couple of months. Buying any new car is a crapshoot. Statistically, Subaru is going to be more reliable than most brands.
That being said, I've had a number of issues with mine ( 19 Touring). However, a lot of people on the forums have had zero problems. My most reliable cars over the past several years have been a GLS 450, which I had for 5 years and almost no problems, a Saab 9-5 aero wagon, and a Volvo XC70, and ( amazingly enough) my 19 F pace ( which has pretty much every option, so I'm even more amazed it hasn't had any issues -the Lucas electronics legacy).

Now, I'm not posting this to discourage you from buying the ascent. I'm just pointing out that any single car from any manufacturer could be a lemon, or a gem, in terms of its reliability. and you never know what you're going to get until after you buy it and you have it for a couple months.

So in the end all the worrying isn't going to change how reliable your particular car is going to be. If you like it, go for it.
I will say it's a very nice car. I'm not a Subaru Loyalist, and I probably will not buy another Subaru, but it's a very nice car, and I think you'll enjoy it if you get it. just make sure you test drive everything in the segment to make sure nothing else jumps out at you..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts