Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally hit the sweet spot with my android auto and it reliable connects. the problem is that the only OEM cables I have are 4 or 5 feet, so I have it folded up and velcroid. Anyone know of a short, maybe 2-3ft cable, that would work?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I finally hit the sweet spot with my android auto and it reliable connects. the problem is that the only OEM cables I have are 4 or 5 feet, so I have it folded up and velcroid. Anyone know of a short, maybe 2-3ft cable, that would work?
Look up Anker on amazon. They have 1 ft, 3 ft increments. I'm currently using this one with my Samsung S8 (USB-C Type) and it works with Android Auto:

http://a.co/c2VY7Db

Reactions: pilot1226

·
Registered
597 Posts
What did you do to make it reliable? I'm still having issues with mine but I think part of it is my Essential phone which had a patch recently .

·
Registered
932 Posts
I second Anker products. They're great, and I don't think I've replaced any of my cables I've bought. How long has Lightning interface been around for iPhones now, like 5 years? So, considering the daily wear-and-tear and abuse on them, I'd say they're a pretty high quality product.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
My post is long overdue. SOOO sorry.

Here's a cable that WILL work:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07687MT58/

An important thing about this cable for NOTE 8 owners, is that your phone will actually fit in the little cubby while plugged in, due to the 90° plug saving space. Literally will JUST fit, as you can tell from the pic. That will be helpful for anyone else who's got a phone as tall as the Note 8.

Here's a cable that WILL NOT work:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078KYJ9M2/

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My post is long overdue. SOOO sorry.

Here's a cable that WILL work:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07687MT58/

An important thing about this cable for NOTE 8 owners, is that your phone will actually fit in the little cubby while plugged in, due to the 90° plug. That will be helpful for anyone else who's got a phone as tall as the Note 8.
/

Do you know if this cable will work for the Galaxy S7 edge?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Yep

Do you know if this cable will work for the Galaxy S7 edge?
Yep! :) It will work with every Samsung Galaxy that uses USB-C. As a function of that, especially since Samsung loves sending lotsa data through their cables, it should work with every Android phone that uses USB-C. Of all the brands, Samsung seems to need the higher end cables.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yep! :) It will work with every Samsung Galaxy that uses USB-C. As a function of that, especially since Samsung loves sending lotsa data through their cables, it should work with every Android phone that uses USB-C. Of all the brands, Samsung seems to need the higher end cables.
The Galaxy S7 uses a mini usb, the USB -C was introduced on the S8 IIRC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
May not be cable issue - may be phone socket contacts dirty

What did you do to make it reliable? I'm still having issues with mine but I think part of it is my Essential phone which had a patch recently .
It may be that the micro-usb socket in the phone is dirty.
Blast it with air first to see if helps.
If not, then go in with a SIM Ejector (that piece of metal with a pointy bit used for iPhone SIMs) to clear the lint.
If still cannot work, then perhaps a micro-alcohol swab to clean up.
Last 2 steps above, take care not to bend or damage the internals of the port.

Most phone's micro-usb ports are terribly dirty. Just because it can charge does not mean the other connectors insider are working.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I'll dig through my Note Edge cables then. I'll let you know which worked for me.

Yep! /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif It will work with every Samsung Galaxy that uses USB-C. As a function of that, especially since Samsung loves sending lotsa data through their cables, it should work with every Android phone that uses USB-C. Of all the brands, Samsung seems to need the higher end cables.
The Galaxy S7 uses a mini usb, the USB -C was introduced on the S8 IIRC.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another option that works for me: https://smile.amazon.com/Charging-CIKOO-Braided-Charger-Oneplus/dp/B01MZ8RA3A

FWIW, I was also experiencing what seemed to be random Android Auto 'crashes' whenever Google Maps was trying to verbally say things like "Turn Left on Main St". My fix ended up being be to remove Android Auto from my phone (Samsung S8) as well as Google Maps, and unpaired my phone from Subaru BT.

I re-installed Google Maps, connected the USB C cable (same one listed above) and then walked through all the prompts to install Android Auto.

All is well now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.