Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's a 24ft Yamaha jet boat with a weight of 3660lbs for those interested. I'm sure loaded with gear and gas it's pretty close to the 5000lb limit. Not the steepest launch, but nice grip on the dirt when pulling it out.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That's a 24ft Yamaha jet boat with a weight of 3660lbs for those interested. I'm sure loaded with gear and gas it's pretty close to the 5000lb limit. Not the steepest launch, but nice grip on the dirt when pulling it out.
Checking the Yamaha site it lists the dry weight on trailer to be 4,955 as a minimum weight for the 24'. Granted that is the most current model but that shows that I guarantee that the weight they are pulling is above 5,000 lbs.

Edit: After watching the video again I think it is a model above the bottom which puts the weight over 5,000 lbs dry. Also forgot to include the person which is probably 175lbs minimum.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Edit: After watching the video again I think it is a model above the bottom which puts the weight over 5,000 lbs dry. Also forgot to include the person which is probably 175lbs minimum.
The AR240 dry weight on the trailer is listed as 5010. I didn't see it at first because the mobile site sucks with the tabs.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
I guess it can tow, lol!

I mean, I knew what it's capable of, from what I have heard behind the scenes...

...so, I can't wait to see more vids like this.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Keep in mind that tandem axle roller trailers for that weight boat weigh about 1,200-1,800 pounds. Even at limited testing weights of that boat in reviews I've seen, it's configured at 4,350 pounds, give or take - plus using the lowest weight tandem axle trailer I've found that can carry 4,300 pounds (1,218 pounds), that puts the total weight decently over 5,000 pounds at 5,568 pounds.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Keep in mind that tandem axle roller trailers for that weight boat weigh about 1,200-1,800 pounds. Even at limited testing weights of that boat in reviews I've seen, it's configured at 4,350 pounds, give or take - plus using the lowest weight tandem axle trailer I've found that can carry 4,300 pounds (1,218 pounds), that puts the total weight decently over 5,000 pounds at 5,568 pounds.
For that weight I now believe “neighborhood towing” is recommended....and strictly in a flat neighborhood..and don’t show the video when filing a warranty claim....:tango_face_wink:

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
For that weight I now believe “neighborhood towing” is recommended....and strictly in a flat neighborhood..and don’t show the video when filing a warranty claim....:tango_face_wink:
lol, yes, some people here have recommended that - while others here who work for Subaru have laughed at that - at least regarding the 5,000 pound limit (no one from Subaru would suggest exceeding that, since that's the rating - regardless of vehicle capabilities).

If the Outback's actual towing limits (non-US, same car) is any indication, as @Carl Abrams mentioned, I'm not worried.

That aside, I definitely will be in the 4,000+ pound range. I'll be sure to let everyone know. :grin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
We won't have a chance to pull our 4,000+ lb boat until spring, but if our Outback can effortlessly drag it out of the water and around town, the Ascent should have a walk in the park with it.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Spoilers...

We won't have a chance to pull our 4,000+ lb boat until spring, but if our Outback can effortlessly drag it out of the water and around town, the Ascent should have a walk in the park with it.
There's a newer thread where a few of us have towed over that. I'll let you enjoy the other thread with only one spoiler.... my Ascent could still accelerate to 60 faster while towing than my former 2010 Outback Premium 6MT could when not towing. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
883 Posts

Maybe a sprint in the park! LOL!

I towed my race car on a trailer at 4700lbs. Yes it got up to highway speeds with ease. Towed so nice a couple times I forgot I was towing and got up to 75 (I don't like to go above 60 while towing for the load on the trailer wheels). Check the towing forum. Much more detail/data there.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I am still new enough to be exploring this site and I just found this thread. We got the tow package for occasional towing and using a hitch mounted bike rack. I honestly can say that I think the Ascent is one heck of a capable car and a great value! 👍

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
548 Posts
Ha, first I have seen this too. Kind of wish they backed it in further. Didn't seem to be typical depth for launching or removing a boat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts