Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
What the heck is this? Not that he's speeding by 30+ mph... not that part. What's with the speed limit sign on the dash? Is the car actually reading signs?

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
What the heck is this? Not that he's speeding by 30+ mph... not that part. What's with the speed limit sign on the dash? Is the car actually reading signs?

The map loaded into the GPS has speed limits assigned to most major roads so in most circumstances, you can look at the map and see what the speed limit is. In my wife's Infiniti, it flashes at you when the limit changes. I love to see that Subie has added it to the main cluster, very cool. Yet another bonus that makes this baby even more sweeeeet!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, my TomTom shows the speed limit. Since the Ascent has a TomTom based system I'm not too surprised it shows up somehow. I believe all GPS databases contain the speed info.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How come some dealers are able to test drive and offering customers for test drive and some don't? I mean as of now all the Ascents which are rolling out to the dealers were pre production models only, which should not be driven on public roads.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How come some dealers are able to test drive and offering customers for test drive and some don't? I mean as of now all the Ascents which are rolling out to the dealers were pre production models only, which should not be driven on public roads.
Pretty sure this is an employee driving.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Pretty sure this is an employee driving.
Hmmm... test drives are being scheduled, but it seems they're not for a couple weeks. So, I guess we're test driving the production vehicles (my test drive being June 2nd)?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I drove 2 of the vehicles with the decals on them - like I and others posted pictures of in other threads. I cannot say nor did I ask if they were pre-production models but my assumption is they are as actual production didn't start until this past Monday. Maybe Carl can weigh on how this works and why some dealers offer customer test drives and others don't. It could simply come down to insurance coverage and/or not wanting to deal with the potential for incident. Not all dealers are created equal. luckily we have a couple awesome subaru dealers around me.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Maybe Carl can weigh on how this works and why some dealers offer customer test drives and others don't. It could simply come down to insurance coverage and/or not wanting to deal with the potential for incident. Not all dealers are created equal.
For us, the car we're going to have here tomorrow is going to be our District Manager's car - the one he's being given to drive. So the insurance for that is his own insurance. When we went to the ride and drive, we had to show both our own drivers license's as well as our dealership insurance policy, in case we had an accident. (And that's normal policy when we're doing an event like that - been there, done that, many a time)

Now - if you are on a test drive here with me, my dealership policy is that I verify you have a valid license and insurance before we take off, because if you have an accident while we're on the test drive, it's on you as the driver (or whoever causes the accident), just as if you get a speeding ticket it's on you as the driver. And in nearly 6 years of doing test drives, none of the 3 accidents I've personally been in the car when they happened were my customers fault. (Two were caused by drivers fleeing the police - we have a wonderful neighborhood just north of here! The third was just a simple fender bender IN our parking lot. We had just pulled back into the parking lot after the test drive and were parking the car and someone backing out of a parking space backed into us.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts