Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I will be moving overseas to the UK and am currently trying to decide if I should ship my 2019 Subaru Ascent over. Can anyone please share their overseas experience with their Ascent (e.g. degree of modifications, difficulty in finding shops for repair/maintenance, etc.)? Any guidance or advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Hi All,

I will be moving overseas to the UK and am currently trying to decide if I should ship my 2019 Subaru Ascent over. Can anyone please share their overseas experience with their Ascent (e.g. degree of modifications, difficulty in finding shops for repair/maintenance, etc.)? Any guidance or advice is much appreciated!
If only shipping one vehicle, you might consider using a container to ship the car and belongings to save costs. If no belongings, there is no need for container. Other individuals may want to share container either for auto or other goods. If shipping auto by itself, no items allowed in vehicle.

Additional info

All info should be self verified.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Since the Ascent is not marketed/available outside of North America (other than I think a recent add to Singapore or the Philippines if I'm not mistaken), service beyond basic maintenance (like oil changes) may be difficult including warranty repairs. The Starlink connections will not work because they are hard-coded to the ATT network which does not exist outside of the US. Folks ship vehicles for moves all the time. You'll have to determine if it's worth the cost vs the risk to take it with you vs acquiring something in-region that's supported.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I've shipped several vehicles overseas during my thirty year Army career. Having lived in Japan where, like the UK, they drive on the "wrong" side of the road, I'd recommend not taking a lefthand drive vehicle. People do it, but my three years of driving on the left side of the road in Japan reinforced my decision to put my Jeep in storage for that tour and pick up a good used righthand drive vehicle once in country. When shipping a US spec vehicle on military orders I didn't have to worry about it having to meet the other country's vehicle spec requirements, which are different than those in the US (i.e. glass, headlights, etc.). I did ship vehicles to Germany and Italy and they were US spec, but they were US forces plated and didn't have to conform to those country's vehicle requirements. For a US spec vehicle shipped on nongovernmental business you might be required to make some mods in order for the car to be registered and plated in the UK. Long winded response, but I'd be hesitant to take an Ascent to the UK because of the challenge of getting it serviced, it's lefthand drive, and the potential of having to make some expensive mods to get it registered and "legal."

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are certain minimum requirements you need to make to the car to it make road legal:

Rear fog lights:

If you have LED front headlights, you'll have to see if auto-leveling and washers for the lights are required or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your response, it is extremely helpful. I am indeed wary of the additional cost and headache involved with shipping the car over and making the modifications for road worthiness, but this may still come out cheaper than purchasing a comparable vehicle in the UK (especially if I factor in the depreciation hit from selling the Ascent). I have confirmed that the warranty will NOT apply outside the US, so this is a huge risk when factoring in the difficulty in acquiring parts and finding shops familiar with the Ascent.

The prudent thing would seem to be just selling it, but it will be hard to say goodbye. Again, I would greatly appreciate anyone's experience with shipping their Ascent overseas.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Thank you everyone for your response, it is extremely helpful. I am indeed wary of the additional cost and headache involved with shipping the car over and making the modifications for road worthiness, but this may still come out cheaper than purchasing a comparable vehicle in the UK (especially if I factor in the depreciation hit from selling the Ascent). I have confirmed that the warranty will NOT apply outside the US, so this is a huge risk when factoring in the difficulty in acquiring parts and finding shops familiar with the Ascent.

The prudent thing would seem to be just selling it, but it will be hard to say goodbye. Again, I would greatly appreciate anyone's experience with shipping their Ascent overseas.
They do not like large vehicles in Europe. Fuel cost as well as every other cost is significantly more. You will not recoup you depreciation loss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.