Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Do you have a silver ascent or did you strip and polish your strut tower?
In comparison, under your hood looks way nicer than mine…
View attachment 16530
Damn dude, you got to clean that up. A little cleaning goes along way. I guess that's how mine were to start. Well not that bad you have alot of white rust. Do you live by the ocean.

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,279 Posts
...except I pretty much never open my hood... :) :D

· Premium Member
2022 Ascent Touring, 7 Passenger - AWD
182 Posts
Before and after shots. Oh almost forgot Reagan is the St.Bernard ,and Lilly is a landseer Newfoundland. Both8 years old.
View attachment 16522

View attachment 16520
View attachment 16519
View attachment 16521
View attachment 16518
Beautiful shine.Keeping the car nice and shiny which shows your Labor of love bringing you joy . What polish are you using to shine the engine? I have found Simichrome great to polish the chrome on my antique car.
It is considered safe on Gold, Aluminum, Pewter, Brass, Metal and Copper. It is not abrasive and will leave a protective layer that will help lengthen the time between touch ups.

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Beautiful shine.Keeping the car nice and shiny which shows your Labor of love bringing you joy . What polish are you using to shine the engine? I have found Simichrome great to polish the chrome on my antique car.
It is considered safe on Gold, Aluminum, Pewter, Brass, Metal and Copper. It is not abrasive and will leave a protective layer that will help lengthen the time between touch ups.
I use Zephyrs. I buy it at inland KW . Coopers works good. Isn't the stuff you use pre-loaded with the compound inside what looks like a big cotton ball. You can also buy a 2 pack or 3 pack of polish wheels and also included is jewelers rouge and the pre rouge. This is all done by hand which is why it takes so long. I started polishing on the A/C compressor and after 6 hours on Sunday which is also another 6 hours on the Sunday before that. Couple more Sundays and it should be where I want it.

· Super Moderator
3,747 Posts
Damn dude, you got to clean that up. A little cleaning goes along way. I guess that's how mine were to start. Well not that bad you have alot of white rust. Do you live by the ocean.
Which is worse for it though: a little surface corrosion in a steady state, or removing the corrosion over and over so you don't see it? That all depends on the metal and the corrosion present. I'm not worried about any of it in the engine bay.
And yes, I live about 20 mi from the ocean with a lot of tidal areas even closer.

· Premium Member
182 Posts
I use Zephyrs. I buy it at inland KW . Coopers works good. Isn't the stuff you use pre-loaded with the compound inside what looks like a big cotton ball. You can also buy a 2 pack or 3 pack of polish wheels and also included is jewelers rouge and the pre rouge. This is all done by hand which is why it takes so long. I started polishing on the A/C compressor and after 6 hours on Sunday which is also another 6 hours on the Sunday before that. Couple more Sundays and it should be where I want it.
Thanks for your response and I looked up the Zephyr “Super Shine Polishing Kit” on Amazon. I am really impressed by your passion to keep your car in meticulous condition and spending so much time to maintain it in that condition. I saw the videos on YouTube and did not realize how much effort is involved to get the desired results. The results were spectacular just like yours.

Regarding the Simichrome it is a paste and basically it is apply and wipe procedure.
Tin Paint Tin can Rectangle Font

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
View attachment 16725
Thanks for your response and I looked up the Zephyr “Super Shine Polishing Kit” on Amazon. I am really impressed by your passion to keep your car in meticulous condition and spending so much time to maintain it in that condition. I saw the videos on YouTube and did not realize how much effort is involved to get the desired results. The results were spectacular just like yours.

Regarding the Simichrome it is a paste and basically it is apply and wipe procedure.
View attachment 16695
I'm afraid I started something I'm not gonna like. I started polishing the A/C compressor and it is taking a lot longer than I hoped. Just saw your post and this is where it's at .12 hours straight.

View attachment 16724 /ATTACHED]
View attachment 16725 View attachment 16724
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive fuel system Automotive design
Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tread

· Premium Member
208 Posts
I admire your patience. On a casting like that would a dremel with both flat and conical brass brushes work better than towels, polish and elbow grease? Set to a low RPM, I’ve used this on my ZS carburetor dashpots which worked fairly well. They’ll never be shiney like what your going for but they have a nice “satin” finish and are clean. Make sire you wear safety glasses if you do this.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

· Premium Member
182 Posts
View attachment 16725

I'm afraid I started something I'm not gonna like. I started polishing the A/C compressor and it is taking a lot longer than I hoped. Just saw your post and this is where it's at .12 hours straight.
Phew!

Lot of tiny areas and corners to get through with the brushes in a really tight space.
The castings may not come out as shiny as the other smooth pieces because they have rough and grainy surfaces.

I got my car 2 days ago and attaching pictures of the brand new engine. I hope I can keep it nice and clean in the days to come.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood Automotive design

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I admire your patience. On a casting like that would a dremel with both flat and conical brass brushes work better than towels, polish and elbow grease? Set to a low RPM, I’ve used this on my ZS carburetor dashpots which worked fairly well. They’ll never be shiney like what your going for but they have a nice “satin” finish and are clean. Make sire you wear safety glasses if you do this.

View attachment 16748
Yes this a/
Phew!

Lot of tiny areas and corners to get through with the brushes in a really tight space.
The castings may not come out as shiny as the other smooth pieces because they have rough and grainy surfaces.

I got my car 2 days ago and attaching pictures of the brand new engine. I hope I can keep it nice and clean in the days to come. View attachment 16750
View attachment 16751
Yes this pic right here proves to be the hardest piece ive ever tried to polish. It is alot of different small circular and obtuse angle parts to it that prove to be a challenge ,at least for me. I will post a pic here and this is after 14 or 15 hours just on this.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

· Premium Member
182 Posts
Yes this pic right here proves to be the hardest piece ive ever tried to polish. It is alot of different small circular and obtuse angle parts to it that prove to be a challenge ,at least for me. I will post a pic here and this is after 14 or 15 hours just on this.
View attachment 16761
Looks great, love to see the final result.

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I'm wondering why not 1person has tried to get ahold of me to ask about how to go about polishing your motor parts. Come on guys there's got to be someone who wants to shine there motor up. I have to say this piece is very hard to bring out. I'm saying this would be not for the faint of heart. Except for that piece all the other aluminum is in season to make shine like a (you fill this in )p
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,279 Posts
Some of us only open the hood once or twice a year to add wiper fluid... :)

Reactions: Titanrx8
61 - 80 of 107 Posts