Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
735 Posts
Imo, this is going to be an endless rabbit hole to keep those aluminum bits polished.... Good Luck!

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Nice! Have you figured out how to keep them shiny, or do they need to be re-polished every so often?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You ever get tired of just keeping a clean engine sparkling and want a challenge, I would certainly let you clean my dirty engine. Looks amazing.Good job.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imo, this is going to be an endless rabbit hole to keep those aluminum bits polished.... Good Luck!
It's getting harder for sure. I keep forgetting that I'm knocking on being 60 years old. Last time I was jumping around I broke my leg. But I walked on it 3 days before I had it checked out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's getting harder for sure. I keep forgetting that I'm knocking on being 60 years old. Last time I was jumping around I broke my leg. But I walked on it 3 days before I had it checked out.
But I've been polishing on aluminum wheels and motor parts since I was 13. So I can't stop now. No can do.
Wait, so your telling me I've been doing this for over 40 years. Damn I have to stop, wait I can't not now. After the next one.
You ever get tired of just keeping a clean engine sparkling and want a challenge, I would certainly let you clean my dirty engine. Looks amazing.Good job.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,723 Posts
You can go more than 2 weeks but the worse it oxidizes the harder it is to get it back to the previous luster.
What about applying a clear coating to stop or impede the oxidation? More work because of the close quarters, but it could cut down the visual maintenance... many metals are routinely coated for that reason, including aluminum, copper and brass. Obviously, it would need to be something that can stand up to the high heat that is generated under the hood and "on" the engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What about applying a clear coating to stop or impede the oxidation? More work because of the close quarters, but it could cut down the visual maintenance... many metals are routinely coated for that reason, including aluminum, copper and brass. Obviously, it would need to be something that can stand up to the high heat that is generated under the hood and "on" the engine.
The rims on the Ascent are coated with the plastic coating your talking about. Good news you can polish your rims to shine like chrome , but you would have to sand that coating off. A feet even I won't commit to do- ever.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,723 Posts
The wheels are a little different situation than the work you're doing under the hood. For that area, you'd need a clear coating that can resist the high heat that's generated and retained under the hood. The coatings on the wheels is more to protect from incidental abrasion as well as corrosion but doesn't have the heat challenges that under the hood holds.

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now that I see again how oxidized that metal was when I started it does look a thousand times better.
No, they oxidize a little every day. Especially the A/C lines cus they get moisture which speeds up the process.So I do them every two weeks. View attachment 12567
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Still have to get the ends where the easy to shine meet with the real hard areas meet together.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts