Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
I am now at about 70/30 highway/City, and I'm at 20.5 MPG overall at 14k miles. I've always based my mileage on the trip computer (or the lie-o-meter as some people on the forum have called it, so my numbers may be optimistic!). I have the Touring, so the rated mpg is slightly lower than other variants.
We have been driving the car a lot more on relatively clear, 45 mph roads the past six or eight months, which has definitely helped the mileage. It's still not where I hoped it would be, but at least it's improving to the point where I think it's acceptable. So hopefully others who have low MPG from the onset will find their numbers improving as well over time.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,300 Posts
FYI, this is a "necro thread" brought back to the top by a new member.

My mileage is similar to Percy's...currently averaging 20.9 in general rural driving over the past couple thousand miles and 22.8 overall since purchase over 22K miles. (trip computers) Highway I average 26.8 with a high of 28. (calculated)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
696 Posts
I've only put on a little over 1,000 miles the past 6 months, mostly on 20 mile or less grocery store pick up runs on suburban roads. Oddly, my mileage has been pretty good 24.2 mpg on the current tank. At 2 years and just under 21,000 total miles my running average was a bit over 22 mpg but my dealer reset my B trip meter during the last oil change for some reason so I'm starting over.

·
Registered
554 Posts
day to day still 20-21 (now it is MY2020 was MY2019)
last road trip got it all the way to 25+, lost in the parks/forest and 6 days of driving down to 21 and got back to 22.8 on the way back (round trip itself 23.4)

P.S. 22.8 is from the day of purchase

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
53 Posts
I was getting 9.8l/100km in mixed driving but only city driving for the last week and it’s at 10.1l/100km now. I’ve only put about 700kms on so far though so it’s not much to go on yet but I can say I’m getting better mileage than my ‘07 Honda Ridgeline was getting. Both vehicles have similar power ratings and weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, around town (small town with lots of short trips) we get about 17. An hour to and from the airport at 80 MPH (gotta love South Dakota speed limits) yields about 22 MPG. When my wife drove 1/2 way across the country in a mix of interstate and back roads we got 28 MPG over 3 days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
22.7 with fairly gently city/hwy driving. Almost at 1000 miles. Gas is $1.87 today so I filled up. Taking a long freeway trip in October to compare MPG.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just finished a road trip @ 70, with cruise control on mild:
30 + miles on flat, moving freeway 34 mpg
about 70 mi finished on rolling hills with final altitude gain of about 3000 feet 28.4mpg
overall between dirt roads on my ranch and the highway is about 21.6 avg over nearly 4k miles

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
So, around town (small town with lots of short trips) we get about 17. An hour to and from the airport at 80 MPH (gotta love South Dakota speed limits) yields about 22 MPG. When my wife drove 1/2 way across the country in a mix of interstate and back roads we got 28 MPG over 3 days.
Even when I think I am driving in the same manner I find a difference in mileage when I have the adaptive cruise control on. All other factors are equal. Now I drive with adaptive on even when the traffic will change from 65 down to 35 and everything in -between on the same roadway during one trip. I still get much better mpg.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Been doing City 90%+ of the time because of COVID, everybody is at home and I go the office 1/5days. In the last 1000mi, I'm getting 16.9mpg. In the last 6000mi, I'm getting 20.3mpg.

I need to change my oil, 5th cycle now. The odometer is nearly 30K miles now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm averaging 18.1 over 9K miles (calculated, not the dash lie-o-meter). But, I'm either driving stop and go in the city or 75+ on the highway. Neither is great for economy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
here's a run from Golden Gate bridge, past Santa Rosa, up the 101,
28.4 mpg over 80 miles, light traffic

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi.
To share my data.
I've been recording each fuel refill for my Ascent since Dec 2018 to date ( 1.5 years)
Total: 20100km. region : Montreal, Canada.
driving style - every weekend shopping (~30km); the rest - mixed highway. about 4-5k km per year vacation ( e.g. only highway at a constant speed)
mpg: overall average for 1.5 years - 11.4 l/100 km (20.6mpg)
average city (winter): when it's too cold - it goes high up to 16 - 18 l/100km (13-14mpg)
city (summer): around 12-13l/100km (18.5mpg)
average summer: around 10-11 l/100km (21-23mpg)

summer - 2000km vacation trip (3 person + gear) - 9.2-9.5 l/100km (25mpg) - highways only at 110-120km/h
highway only 900km at speed below 110km/h - 8.5-8.7 l/100km (27mpg) - same summer vacation. - CVT does the magic!

to summarise my experience:

Long stable speed cruising for many hundreds km - Accent is super efficient compared to my older kia sorento or Honda Odyssey (at least by 10-15%)

City driving or winter - it is worse than my old 4 cyl Sorento or Odyssey by the same 10% - but much more power and stability.

And yes,... a lot depends on how much you press on the gas. It can be very tempting to drive agressively (turbine and hp allow it) - but there is cost. Sorento just would not allow me to drive like this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drive 5 miles country blacktop roads to get to town, then stop/go traffic. Those tanks calculate (not onboard computer) between 19-22 mpg. Interstate, cruise control at 75 mph, will calculate between 24-26 mpg. I now have 21,000 miles on my 2020 Ascent Touring.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just some other data points from me... This is triggered by towing (what seems like) a fairly small and lightweight trailer (see pic) over the weekend. Our daughter is getting married soon, and we hauled some of her stuff to where she'll be living shortly. Our MPG has generally been 25-ish on the highway. It dropped to 18.6 for this trip - seems a pretty drastic drop to me. I was running mostly with traffic, maybe a bit slower than some, 70-73 mph, mostly out on the Interstate, but some country 2-lane highway travel. 2019 Touring.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,300 Posts
The tailgate on that trailer, despite being perforated, offers a lot of wind resistance...that's going to contribute to the reduced fuel economy, especially at highway speeds.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts