Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 1300 mileage on my Limited and has been using mainly it to drive the kids to and from school driving through highways and city combined. Initially my average MPG was at 16.8 during the first month and now it is at 17.3. Nevertheless, it is still a bit far from the 22 mpg city driving as advertised. Any tips how to improve? What is your average mpg and driving habits?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have about 1300 mileage on my Limited and has been using mainly it to drive the kids to and from school driving through highways and city combined. Initially my average MPG was at 16.8 during the first month and now it is at 17.3. Nevertheless, it is still a bit far from the 22 mpg city driving as advertised. Any tips how to improve? What is your average mpg and driving habits?

I have a Limited as well with about the same mileage and combo road driving as you. I have been getting an average of 24 MPG ( I had the same MPG experience as you initially had). I have not been a Mario Andretti in it though and have found that how I drive makes the most difference in MPG.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am right at the current Fuelly average of 19.7 for the first 3600 miles. That is calculated by hand. The trip computer shows 20.5 lifetime to date. City/Highway mix is probably 60/40 and Seattle traffic can be maddeningly slow. A start/stop system would probably gain 1-2 mpg in the kind of city driving I find myself stuck in.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
About the first 3000mi, I got 20.2mpg (see pic), which is accurate to the car's computer number. I logged about 4500mi today and it's showing 20.9mpg.

70% highway in commute traffics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have about 5300 miles on a Limited, just took a 1000 mile trip to and from Florida from PA, and averaged 24.1 mpg. That is with a fully loaded vehicle and large roof top carrier. Mileage has been going up constantly, but now it seems the end is near. Sure beats my MDX, that averaged 15-16 mpg, with premium.

On another topic, the ACC, which I relied heavily on during the trip down and back, seems to have gotten aggressive in “dynamic” mode. By the end of the trip I was rather liking it, even though about 2 months earlier (did not use ACC in Florida, people in Florida don’t move that fast!) I found it too sluggish. And thoughts on this? Possibly a firmware update?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Subaru Ascent Touring; 60/40 percent city/highway in city of 50,000 (short trips). Average fuel economy (miles/gallons) at 6400 miles = 19.6 MPG and the turbo charger does not get much of a workout.

I use a smartphone app to track economy; the car's computer is consistantly overstated by 2-3 MPG. My previous Subaru Outback 3.6R delivered an average 22MPG using the same method from day 1.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
695 Posts
Just checked and my Trip B shows 8,700 miles with 23.8 average mpg. The last 400 miles have all been urban that had knocked it down a couple of tenths.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Here's some recent history that covers this in case you want more information.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/133-subaru-ascent-mpg-fuel-economy/2113-whats-your-mpg-averaging.html
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/133-subaru-ascent-mpg-fuel-economy/1911-anyone-seeing-low-gas-mileage.html
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/133-subaru-ascent-mpg-fuel-economy/5503-disappointing-gas-mileage.html

·
Registered
119 Posts
My mileage just went up with the last two tanks with the switch over to summer blend gas. With 11k I am averaging just under 20. Ironically if I baby it the mileage seems worse.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Onboard MPG is Generous

In my experience, the indicated MPG onboard is generous relative to actual MPG. After 6 fillups, the actual MPG I have achieved is less than the onboard indicated MPG - every time. I also make sure I fill the tank completely each time to make sure I get an accurate MPG reading.

Today, for example, the pump clicked off at 6.5 gallons. However, I was able to put another 1.7 gallons in the tank before it filled to the neck.

The onboard indicated MPG is much more generous to my wife (who punches the turbo much more than I do, and tends to drive at faster speeds).

As always, YMMV.

Cheers!

·
Registered
897 Posts
In my experience, the indicated MPG onboard is generous relative to actual MPG. After 6 fillups, the actual MPG I have achieved is less than the onboard indicated MPG - every time. I also make sure I fill the tank completely each time to make sure I get an accurate MPG reading.

Today, for example, the pump clicked off at 6.5 gallons. However, I was able to put another 1.7 gallons in the tank before it filled to the neck.

The onboard indicated MPG is much more generous to my wife (who punches the turbo much more than I do, and tends to drive at faster speeds).

As always, YMMV.

Cheers!
I (and most) agree about the onboard computer. It's the consensus amongst all car forums, articles, etc. that it reads higher than a manual calculation.

However, if you topped off with an additional 1.7 gallons, I'd exclude that calculation from your cummulative average. That results in a 2MPG discrepency if you normally average 20MPG for example.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just under 16k miles and I’m only averaging 18-19mpg. 95% highway driving. I don’t drive extraordinarily fast either

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a bit disappointed with the gas mileage. Especially since I don't slam down the accelerator or drive it like a maniac. My Limited model is averaging just over 19 MPG. Isn't the EPA estimate 20-26 with an average of 22? I'm lucky to even hit 20 MPG. I'm hoping when the weather gets warmer here in PA it will improve significantly.

·
Registered
418 Posts

As always, YMMV.

Cheers!

From what I have learned, doing this could result in the check engine light coming on, possible damage to the car, and maybe even damage to the environment, as the pump clicking off is by design.

https://www.freep.com/story/life/2015/06/28/dont-top-off-gas-tank-environment/29269833/

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/car-myth-or-fact-should-you-top-your-gas-tank.htm

https://clark.com/cars/why-you-should-never-top-off-your-gas-tank/

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-pump-gas-yourself-by-patrick-haas

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,283 Posts
I'm a bit disappointed with the gas mileage. Especially since I don't slam down the accelerator or drive it like a maniac. My Limited model is averaging just over 19 MPG. Isn't the EPA estimate 20-26 with an average of 22? I'm lucky to even hit 20 MPG. I'm hoping when the weather gets warmer here in PA it will improve significantly.
Winter weather and winter fuel isn't a good place to start when it comes to fuel economy. It's likely that things will improve for you with summer blend fuel and the (finally) warmer weather coming in. The winter effect on my previous vehicle was about 2 mpg lower for the general, rural driving number and I doubt that my Ascent, once I have it, will not exhibit proportional behavior, especially since I'm no longer doing a lot of highway miles like I was prior to my retirement about a year ago.

Reactions: jobjohnny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
About the first 3000mi, I got 20.2mpg (see pic), which is accurate to the car's computer number. I logged about 4500mi today and it's showing 20.9mpg.

This is awesome! I will try to take note of mine as well and record it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I'm actually looking forward to summer to see how my mileage will improve... I too is a bit disappointed with the current mpg I have.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm up to 16.8mpg overall, about 60/40 city/hwy at 3000 miles.

And remember, to make sure you're doing your best conserving fuel, keep your eye on the consumption gauge in the instrument cluster- when you are in the yellow and closer to the "-" sign, that obviously means you are using less fuel, so always drive that way!! :rofl:.

·
Registered
12 Posts
18” inch wheels. Stay under 2000rpm on acceleration

1 - 20 of 41 Posts