Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Traveling on the way home, received severe Thunderstorm warnings every few moments. These warnings contained neither date nor time information. I guess I have 2 questions, how can I turn these warnings off and, question #2, is there any way to get the date / time information to appear in these warnings if I choose to turn them on again at some point?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,

Traveling on the way home, received severe Thunderstorm warnings every few moments. These warnings contained neither date nor time information. I guess I have 2 questions, how can I turn these warnings off and, question #2, is there any way to get the date / time information to appear in these warnings if I choose to turn them on again at some point?

Thanks
Someone correct me if i'm mistaken, but the alerts are actually a function of your phone and is only mirrored to the head unit.

You'll have to make the change on your phone.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Systems with Traffic and Weather will do that, though, I don't get the constant barrage of alerts others have complained about.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Someone correct me if i'm mistaken, but the alerts are actually a function of your phone and is only mirrored to the head unit.

Actually, it's not coming from a phone, it's the nav system. Yesterday, my wife got a constant barrage of flash flood warnings driving back from DTW and her phone isn't paired to the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
I get those too. I hope someone figures out how to turn it off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm interested in finding out as well since we get lots of thunderstorm and flash flood warnings in Texas.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
I believe the vehicle has a free trial subscription to the satellite traffic service which includes multiple features. Check in the NAV setup to see if there's configuration capability on that. I haven't had time to crack the manuals yet having only had my Ascent for one day now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's the free 3 year subscription to Sirius Travel Link that you received with the vehicle purchase. I believe there is a way to turn it off through settings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's the free 3 year subscription to Sirius Travel Link that you received with the vehicle purchase. I believe there is a way to turn it off through settings.

Thanks. I'll take a look around and see what I can find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If anyone can find a way to turn these off... it would be amazing.
Nope. I couldn't find anything in settings. I'll most likely write SoA and ask them where I should turn to next.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK..... Subaru indicates that it's a SiriusXM Travel Link issue and Sirius XM support says that there is no way to turn this off but they'll send it up the ladder so that the folks at their end know that it's an issue. I provided the link to this thread to the support agent as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only way I've found that may help is through SXM Travel Link. By changing the Location, this will make you car think you're elsewhere.

Apps > SXM Travel Link > Weather > Location

·
Registered
17 Posts

Incorrect. The onboard GPS offers the thunderstorm warning even if your phone is not attached. IMHO the equipped GPS is pretty useless. Use Waze.

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
IMHO the equipped GPS is pretty useless. Use Waze.
vehicle manufacturers might as well give up offering gps. Sure there’s a benefit sometimes when you’re way off the beaten path out of cell service but generally speaking you can’t beat waze. I’ve tried.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I received several today, with incomplete information. While this may be a good feature, it should be a settable option. I found it a distraction to driving as I had to look at the messages while in heavy traffic and press OK multiple times. What's the point of multiple messages so close together in time?

The Ascent's infotainment system is the most intrusive I've ever owned. Everything from the audio turning itself on when I don't want it, to the RAB being hard to turn off when trailering, to it selecting audio sources I don't want, drives me crazy. It's simply very bad engineering and in great need of a redesign.

I took the 2019 Consumer Reports auto survey recently. I gave the Ascent excellent grades except for the infotainment system which I rated poorly. If it wasn't so integrated into the car's functionality I would replace it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Relatively speaking, I find the Subaru nav system pretty good. I'm one of those people who still likes to have the map accessible even if I'm not using it for directions. I don't want to be looking around at my phone when I'm driving, I like the big screen.it's certainly not high resolution or high-tech, but it's basic and functional.

I don't mind the thunderstorm warnings and all, but it would be nice instead of having to press 'ok' to get it off the center of the screen, if it went up to a corner of the screen after say, 10 seconds or 15 seconds, until you acknowledged it.

Besides the audio quality, my only complaint with the interface of the infotainment system is that I don't like the fact that the semi a half-mile behind me can see what level I have set the volume at every time I adjust it. That is a completely useless graphic to have in the car (along with the adaptive cruise control graphic that takes over the upper screen). That was a very bad decision, as it disables any other function while it's displaying the volume level at 500 point font.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Besides the audio quality, my only complaint with the interface of the infotainment system is that I don't like the fact that the semi a half-mile behind me can see what level I have set the volume at every time I adjust it. That is a completely useless graphic to have in the car (along with the adaptive cruise control graphic that takes over the upper screen). That was a very bad decision, as it disables any other function while it's displaying the volume level at 500 point font.
That bothered me as well. I’m looking through the online manual and couldn’t find a setting to not show the volume. (it’s too late for me to go sit in my car and fiddle it) It’s annoying looking at the screen (for info) as I’m changing the volume. Haha

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
That bothered me as well. I’m looking through the online manual and couldn’t find a setting to not show the volume. (it’s too late for me to go sit in my car and fiddle it) It’s annoying looking at the screen (for info) as I’m changing the volume. Haha
dont waste any more time in the manual on this one. its just the way their software is programmed.. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts