Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in VT and want to make sure I maintain the vehicle so my service plan) (extended warranty) stays valid. Looking at the maintenance schedule there are some notes (This is pasted from cars101 but I think it is basically what the manual says too):

*NOTES
#1 under severe driving replace oil and filter every 3,000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first
#2 under extremely cold or hot weather replace the filter more often (fuel filter every 60k)
#3 under severe driving replace every 15,000 miles or 15 months whichever comes first (diff fluid) - Doesn't say regular interval
#4 under very severe driving or if frequently towing replace the CVT oil should be replaced at 24,855 miles
#5 when used in high humidity or mountainous areas replace the brake fluid and clutch fluid every 15,000 miles or 15 months whichever comes first (regular interval 30k)
#8 when used in dusty conditions, the air filter should be replaced more often (engine air filter)

Which of these should I really be worried about completing more frequently? Cars is driven lightly (by my wife) but we do live in "salty and humid" environment. No towing.

Let's say I don't do the CVT at 24855, is the dealer going to call me out on this if I have CVT problems later? Is severe service black/white?

I change my oil every 5k and oil analysis says I can go more so I don't see a need to waste money there.

Engine air filter is cheap and easy enough not to get worked up about doing more frequently.

Diff fluid every 15k seems a little excessive.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'd put severe under you tow rmonthly or are all stop and go over short distances and the engine never get really heated up.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,591 Posts
"Severe Service" isn't something that a regular owner is going to face unless they are moonlighting for Uber/Lyft, doing a lot of heavy towing, spending an inordinate amount of time off-road, etc. Even the weather thing...Alaska....maybe. VT, probably not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts