Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My Ascent has less than 20K miles and when I went in for my oil change. The service person recommended the rear fluid differential change and said my "emission" was very dirty and needed to be cleaned out. This is a dealership in New York. This is my first Subaru Ascent and with other cars, have never had to do service so early in my ownership for rear differential and not sure what dirty emissions was about? Does this sound right to you? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Hello,
My Ascent has less than 20K miles and when I went in for my oil change. The service person recommended the rear fluid differential change and said my "emission" was very dirty and needed to be cleaned out. This is a dealership in New York. This is my first Subaru Ascent and with other cars, have never had to do service so early in my ownership for rear differential and not sure what dirty emissions was about? Does this sound right to you? Thanks.
Not really. This is not following the service schedule, so if it really needs it, something under warranty is probably wrong.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premier
46 Posts
I agree. At this point in ownership the rule of thumb would say that almost anything other than regular scheduled maintained should be cause by something covered under the warranty. Exceptions may sometimes happen For example when is related to a damaged part or something, but dealer should provide a good and detailed explanation.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The maintenance schedule says to "Inspect, correct or replace if necessary" front and rear differential fluid every 3 years or 30k miles. Something is wrong if it needs it already.

I wonder if the emissions stuff is an extra fuel system cleaner they're trying to sell you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for all your replies back! Another follow up question if you don't mind me asking, going in only for a routine oil change, is it common to check the rear differential fluid? I thought it was a sealed unit, how would they check the quality if the oil to know it went bad. As I have never towed with this car it seemed unlikely. I tend to agree the fuel system emission being dirty was a big red flag for me to raise some questions.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
They should be checking the level of the oil in the differentials. I find it rather hard to believe that your need to change it before the scheduled maintenance time unless you drove through very high flood waters or towed before the gears were broken in. It sounds fishy to me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I thought it was a sealed unit, how would they check the quality if the oil to know it went bad.
There's a drain plug and fill port. They can extract some fluid from one of those. They'd mainly be looking for metal shavings or if the color is dirty. Also the fluid level. If I'm going to trouble of inspecting the fluid, I'll probably just change it.

They should be checking the level of the oil in the differentials. I find it rather hard to believe that your need to change it before the scheduled maintenance time unless you drove through very high flood waters or towed before the gears were broken in. It sounds fishy to me.
Uhhh... they don't need to check until the maintenance schedule requires it or if there's a symptom of differential issues (noise, warning light). At oil changes they might do a visual inspection for leaks but definitely not the oil level and condition.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Thanks so much for all your replies back! Another follow up question if you don't mind me asking, going in only for a routine oil change, is it common to check the rear differential fluid? I thought it was a sealed unit, how would they check the quality if the oil to know it went bad. As I have never towed with this car it seemed unlikely. I tend to agree the fuel system emission being dirty was a big red flag for me to raise some questions.
It's not a sealed unit. Please message me what dealership advised you that you needed these services.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts