Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is covered with snow and ice. I walked to the window to look at it and it was running. I had not sent it a start command via ‘My Subaru’. I didn’t accidentally send it because when I remote start it, I get an email message that a message was sent and the car has been started. I have received no such message. Any one have your Ascent start and then shut itself off?

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
Did you buy your Ascent new or used?
I had access to a Hyundai with whatever they call their system similar to STARLINK up until recently. I traded that car in over two years ago! Just a thought

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
He said it's a '21 so probably new unless it was set up as a demonstrator.

Being new to pushbutton start myself, I've almost walked out of the car running a couple times. No key to remember and put back in my pocket. Maybe it was just left running.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you buy your Ascent new or used?
I had access to a Hyundai with whatever they call their system similar to STARLINK up until recently. I traded that car in over two years ago! Just a thought
Purchased it brand new. Had 3 miles. Sales person said his will periodically run
He said it's a '21 so probably new unless it was set up as a demonstrator.

Being new to pushbutton start myself, I've almost walked out of the car running a couple times. No key to remember and put back in my pocket. Maybe it was just left running.
The car had been setting for three days and was covered in snow and ice. Have been using push button starts for 9 years, BMW, Stingray and 3rd Subaru .

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
That is NOT normal behavior. The salesperson needs to be slapped up-side their head, too, for saying that. Unless you have the optional fob-based remote start and accidentally did "the press sequence" to execute a start, something is amiss and should be looked for by your dealer service department.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is NOT normal behavior. The salesperson needs to be slapped up-side their head, too, for saying that. Unless you have the optional fob-based remote start and accidentally did "the press sequence" to execute a start, something is amiss and should be looked for by your dealer service department.
No FOB start. Service manager said bests the hell out of him. Never seen/heard of it before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I found the gremlin in the Ascent. The service manager asked if I was sure that the car was actually running. And I’m not sure, I thought so because the lights were all on. He said maybe you hit a lock/unlock on the FOB. So I went and tried unlock/lock and the lights did not come on, just the flash of the standard parking lights because it was daylight. So now it is dark outside and I hit the unlock and all the lights came on. The other day it was overcast and the car had several inches of snow and ice on it. The car was fooled that it was dark, and I was fooled thinking it had self started.
Mystery solved. FOB in my pocket and accidental unlock discharge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I found the gremlin in the Ascent. The service manager asked if I was sure that the car was actually running. And I’m not sure, I thought so because the lights were all on. He said maybe you hit a lock/unlock on the FOB. So I went and tried unlock/lock and the lights did not come on, just the flash of the standard parking lights because it was daylight. So now it is dark outside and I hit the unlock and all the lights came on. The other day it was overcast and the car had several inches of snow and ice on it. The car was fooled that it was dark, and I was fooled thinking it had self started.
Mystery solved. FOB in my pocket and accidental unlock discharge.
I too have a 2021 Ascent Touring and it has self started twice. The last time it ran for two hours in the garage before we noticed it. Garage was filled with exhaust fumes. The dealership currently has the car and is not being very helpful. They say they can't duplicate the problem. Are you confident the your car did not self start and it was just the light on and not running?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too have a 2021 Ascent Touring and it has self started twice. The last time it ran for two hours in the garage before we noticed it. Garage was filled with exhaust fumes. The dealership currently has the car and is not being very helpful. They say they can't duplicate the problem. Are you confident the your car did not self start and it was just the light on and not running?
Wouldn’t bet my life that it wasn’t running.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'll see what the dealership has to say. Not very optimistic at this point.
Ask service to check when the last time your car did a software update. See if that consides to when your car was running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Problem resolved. Someone else had my VIN in his Starlink account. I had to complain to the Sales Manager before they figured this out. After 2 days the service manager said everything was working and they couldn't find the problem...acting like this was my problem. I referenced this forum and someone else with the problem and he said they he could find bigfoot on the internet. This was unacceptable so I went the the sales manager to see about selling the car back. He was the one that figured this out in about 15 minutes. What was sad was that I specifically asked if this was a possibility when I brought the car in and they told me no way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem resolved. Someone else had my VIN in his Starlink account. I had to complain to the Sales Manager before they figured this out. After 2 days the service manager said everything was working and they couldn't find the problem...acting like this was my problem. I referenced this forum and someone else with the problem and he said they he could find bigfoot on the internet. This was unacceptable so I went the the sales manager to see about selling the car back. He was the one that figured this out in about 15 minutes. What was sad was that I specifically asked if this was a possibility when I brought the car in and they told me no way.
Wow great way to run the problem down. If it happens again I’ll know. Well done!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts