Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One more glitch appeared to happen more and more often.
The car blocks all doors and disables the key FOB right after I start the engine and leave the car while holding the key FOB. A funny thing that it does not let me lock the doors if the key FOB is not in the car, but then when I am out it suddenly blocks all doors while the key FOB remains unresponsive. So the only way to get into the car for sure would be to use the metal key. Or sometimes the driver's door sensor recognizes the FOB and lets me open the door. Which automatically returns the car to life back from an electronic coma, and after all works well as it was designed. The weirdest thing with that car is that glitches appeared to be totally random, and I cannot see a pattern so far. Most of the time all works fine and doors remain unlocked in case if I live the car with the key FOB.

Is there any solution to that?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I leave the door open when I leave the vehicle running, picking up mail, checking water tanks...... But not in town !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I leave the door open when I leave the vehicle running, picking up mail, checking water tanks...... But not in town !
yep, I have got this, the problem is that it is a stressful uncertainty knowing that your car might block the doors sometimes. Even though I would like to have an option to block doors from the key FOB, with the engine running...

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Just yank the valet key out and carry that. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
My Ascent does not behave like that...I routinely leave the vehicle with it running and my keys are attached to my belt loop. The vehicle doesn't lock when I walk away. It is normal, however, for the fob not to lock the doors when you are sitting inside...the button on the door has to be used.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Ascent does not behave like that...I routinely leave the vehicle with it running and my keys are attached to my belt loop. The vehicle doesn't lock when I walk away. It is normal, however, for the fob not to lock the doors when you are sitting inside...the button on the door has to be used.
Yes, usually my Ascent does the same thing, doors unlocked and engine running, while I keep the FOB outside, but seldom and completely random it blocks all the doors!!! That usually takes me by surprise and makes me question the reliability of that car.
On the other hand, this car should have an option to lock the doors from outside, otherwise someone can just jump in and drive away without having a FOB! What is more secure to have a car locked and running or a car unlocked and stolen??

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Unfortunately, without using remote start, you are stuck with having to turn off the vehicle before locking it. It's designed that way on purpose.

But the random locking thing is definitely something that needs to be diagnosed by Subaru. It's not normal nor is it, to the best of my memory here, something that has had complaints here. (But I could have missed them)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, without using remote start, you are stuck with having to turn off the vehicle before locking it. It's designed that way on purpose.

But the random locking thing is definitely something that needs to be diagnosed by Subaru. It's not normal nor is it, to the best of my memory here, something that has had complaints here. (But I could have missed them)
I have found an answer and it works!!! I am happy with that :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Orestes85 recipe:
""On the key fobs, there is a silver button, you push it and a door key can be pulled out.

You turn your car on, lock the doors, manually unlock your door, open, and manually re-lock it.

Getting in, you remove the key insert from the key fob and unlock the door that way (its for situations where the key fob battery dies and your doors are locked).

I've had to show many outback/forester touring owners this method.""

It works perfectly! I have done it numerous time, many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Just be sure you accept that should someone break the window and enter your running vehicle if you use that method, they have the fob and can drive off and ever restart the vehicle later. While there's not a huge risk of that happening, it's still a real consideration.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just be sure you accept that should someone break the window and enter your running vehicle if you use that method, they have the fob and can drive off and ever restart the vehicle later. While there's not a huge risk of that happening, it's still a real consideration.
The FOB does not rest in the car with that method. You keep it with you. Once again, the engine is running and you out with the FOB after MANUALLY have locked the drivers door. And that is it. The engine will run until there is fuel.
Yes, there still would be a risk that someone breaks the window and drives away. I would prefer that the engine stops if there is no key FOB inside, and some one attempts driving, just like my old GMC. But at least now I know how to lock the doors with the engine running.
It is hard to understand why Subaru engineers are inventing a solution for a problem that has been perfectly solved 30+ years ago by others. In 1993 I had an Opel (German make) with the central lock that was capable of all these things, and all the security/safety things has been better arranged than in a 2020 year car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.