Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ascent/Outback/Impreza/Forester/Baja/Crosstrek Adventure w/ MtnRoo Tri-State in the NJ Pine Barrens
A bit late posting this (just finished editing all the vids into it. This is what I did to and with my Subaru Ascent on August 9th, 2020. I had a wonderful time on my Pine Barrens Ascent Adventure with my friends from MtnRoo Tri-State. We had my Ascent, Outbacks, Crosstreks, Foresters, and an Impreza (lifted) and Baja in attendance on this wonderfully fun day.

There’s no sped up footage during the off-roading part of this video (just in the trail ride after the credits), so that you can better experience what it would be like to be at one of our off-road adventures in real life. So, with that said, here’s a view of our off-roading adventures, up close and personal.

And don’t forget, you can join us on our next adventures! Simply join MtnRoo Tri-State, or, if you aren’t in the NY/NJ/PA/CT Metro Area, then join MtnRoo Community and find your local chapter!

Dont forget to follow my:
#Subaru #SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert #AscentAdventure #offroading #offroad

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! David did a big chunk of the footage, and he's really great at it... and it gave me most of the time to do some driving. 😊

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Interesting that you got stuck at the 4:00 and 7:50 minute marks in the vid with a wheel spinning. I would have thought the tcs would have kicked in and braked the spinning wheels to a stop. Perhaps you didn't persist long enough?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting that you got stuck at the 4:00 and 7:50 minute marks in the vid with a wheel spinning. I would have thought the tcs would have kicked in and braked the spinning wheels to a stop. Perhaps you didn't persist long enough?
It was moving power everywhere... in both cases, I wedged myself solidly on the breakover, and couldn't get together enough power to scrape off the top of the hill (which is probably a good thing for my skid plates, lol). This is the hill that, a week before, I ripped off my body side cladding.

You can see the place I got stuck at the 4m mark... when I pulled back, I adjusted the track so the tire climbed over it, instead of next to it wedging my underside.

At the 7m50s mark, pretty much only the right rear tire is on the ground. In my "can it climb?" video, you can see the back left tire kicking dirt and screeching, and in the new video, you can see (after I break over) where the front left tire was kicking dirt too. So, between being wedged onto the hill, and only one tire with traction, I wasn't going anywhere.

It's a great lesson on the importance of finding the right track to deal with breakover, approach and departure angles. Sometimes, on hills like that, it's tough, because one can't even see the ground in front of them (all I saw was sky).

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Ascent/Outback/Impreza/Forester/Baja/Crosstrek Adventure w/ MtnRoo Tri-State in the NJ Pine Barrens
A bit late posting this (just finished editing all the vids into it. This is what I did to and with my Subaru Ascent on August 9th, 2020. I had a wonderful time on my Pine Barrens Ascent Adventure with my friends from MtnRoo Tri-State. We had my Ascent, Outbacks, Crosstreks, Foresters, and an Impreza (lifted) and Baja in attendance on this wonderfully fun day.

There’s no sped up footage during the off-roading part of this video (just in the trail ride after the credits), so that you can better experience what it would be like to be at one of our off-road adventures in real life. So, with that said, here’s a view of our off-roading adventures, up close and personal.

And don’t forget, you can join us on our next adventures! Simply join MtnRoo Tri-State, or, if you aren’t in the NY/NJ/PA/CT Metro Area, then join MtnRoo Community and find your local chapter!

Dont forget to follow my:
#Subaru #SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert #AscentAdventure #offroading #offroad
off roading mods any thoughts relative to the Ascent's unsprung / sprung ratio and the mods the author writes about?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I considered all of that and planned accordingly. Hence, even with my really heavy BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 Light Truck tires, my wheel setup is only about 4.5 pounds heavier total (not per wheel, but for all four). I expected a gas mileage hit from the rack and the KO2's. And, I keep my cargo and accessories weight at or under the two passenger weight of 370 pounds.

He's great at picking out the worst examples to prove his invalid point. It would have been a decent educational article had he dropped the negativity, assumptions and "let's primarily focus on the worst and pretend it's representative of everyone".

I've planned everything I've done, with results that matched what I expected.

This time around, on "Version 2" (KO2's and rack and hitch spare tire carrier), I went for off-road over mpg and performance, and got about exactly what I expected.

On "Version 1" (Kumho Road Venture AT51's, underside spare tire, no roof rack), I got what I expected, which was a nice balance of "very capable off road" and "street friendly", with only a 1-2 mpg hit.

On my Outback, I went with "light off-roading" and progressively more street friendly all terrains, and only had a 0.5 mpg hit.

Version 3 of my Ascent's setup will gain back 2 mpg, and be in between Version 1 and Version 2. I'm not there yet, because it will require some custom suspension, and my permanent on-car CB antenna mount, and the delete of my roof rack.

Because my current goals are enjoying nature, overlanding, spending time cruising through National Parks where there's no roads, and where it's unfeasible to hike (seriously, who would hike 50 miles through the deserts of Joshua Tree or Arches to find the perfect camping and photo spots? Not many people), I knowingly sacrifice performance and gas mileage.

ANYWAYS... it's a great article for those who can skip his negativity and one-sidedness. It does explain the impacts of such mods, even if it focuses on the worst examples more often than not.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
off roading mods any thoughts relative to the Ascent's unsprung / sprung ratio and the mods the author writes about?
"The KO2 will deliver better off-road performance than the A/T Trail, but will do so at the expense of fuel economy, noise, comfort, handling, and even wet safety," acknowledges Drew Howlett, who developed the tire for Falken. He goes on to explain that the tire's unique suitability for crossovers isn't really the result of novel technology, but simply a different approach. Where other all-terrains are developed for and on heavy trucks, Falken specifically developed the A/T Trail for and on a RAV4 and a Crosstrek. "Most crossover owners who opt for a KO2 in place of their [stock] tire only notice how much louder the tire is, and how their fuel economy drops, not how much worse the tire makes the vehicle handle and stop," Howlett continues. "That is until they find themselves in an emergency situation. Our testing showed the A/T TRAIL stops just over 15 feet shorter than the BFG KO2 from 60mph to 0mph on wet pavement."
It's funny. Drew and I have had many a conversation on tires for the Ascent. On that note, he recommends the A/T3W as a nice alternative to the KO2's I'm running, for a more aggressive tire. I agree with him - to a point. The KO2's have siping that goes all the way through. They will not become horrible in wet or snowy weather at half tread life. My Kumhos, as an example, were beasts in the wet and snow... but once that siping was gone, that was it - they turned utterly horrible.

The A/T Trails and A/T3W's are not siped all the way through, so, though they start as a better rain and snow tire, I have my doubts as to how they will perform once half the usable tread is gone. Drew and I have been discussing me trying the A/T3W's next, so, we'll see.

In the beginning, the A/T Trails do perform better, and I have the test data to back it up. But, more importantly to the rest of the topic, they're considerably lighter than the KO2s of the same size. The A/T3W's, which are more aggressive, for more intense off-roading, are also decently lighter than the KO2's. And that's where I agree with him. They will make a considerable performance and mpg difference. Maybe even enough to make up for their all terrain (vs street) tread.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
any thoughts relative to the Ascent's unsprung / sprung ratio and the mods the author writes about?
Lol, coincidentally, I mentioned how I dealt with that in another post, before your edit with the question. It's easy enough to not change that on the Ascent. I picked my light rims, to make up for the heavy tires. I am only about 4.5 pounds over (1.15ish pounds per wheel) even with my light truck tires. The rest of my weight (sprung weight) is two passengers or less worth of weight. My trips are either me, or me and one or two other very lightweight friends (they're both somehow keeping fit and under 150 pounds... I lost that battle 3 years ago).

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
One nice thing about adding un-sprung weight. It doesn't subtract from the 1158 lb load limit....I don't think.

The unsprung weight for a given wheel includes the tire, rim, hub, brake rotor, brake caliper, CV joint, and ~ 1/2 the weight of the strut, linkages and control arms. It's a lot. A few lbs one way or the other isn't going to make much difference out of all that.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I am doing a short cruise this Sunday... and then more off-roading for a couple of weeks. Sigh...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts