Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living In South Florida just another Monday morning at the dog park, smashed windows. Question : what is the best security system for mental piece of mind. The crook damaged both passenger windows, also had to replace door panel due to damage from glass as well as sun shade.

I want an alarm for if someone looks as my subie the wrong way!!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Fellow doodle (Goldendoodle) owner here, @Ylime . :)

Alarm systems are, unfortunately, after-the-fact.

Simply having them won't mean that you won't fall to the smash-and-grab.

Two questions:

(1) What did you have visible in the vehicle cabin that attracted the attention of the criminal? Please understand that this is not me trying to place the blame on you - I'm really one of those folks whose core-belief is that the criminal is the one responsible for the crime. However, just because they're responsible for the crime doesn't mean that we can't take measures to mitigate such occurrences. Typically, opportunists of this type will simply try to open the vehicle's doors, and leave just as quickly if their first or even second attempt(s) fail(s). It's really only when they see something that they really want that they'll go the extra effort: it's not just the extra time it takes, but also the fact that it raises the profile of the crime (i.e. noise from breaking the window and/or incurring the vehicle alarm). Both increase their personal risk. What skewed the risk:reward ratio that they took the time and incurred the risk of breaking not only one, but two windows (on opposite sides of the vehicle, at that)?

(2) Did the responding officer truly think that this was a case of theft - was property actually removed from the vehicle? I can understand why the perpetrator(s) would break one window....but why two (unless there was something desirable near both seating positions)? Were there similar incidences of vandalism? Worse - but this must be considered - was this targeted towards you?

Like you wrote in-jest, what'll give you peace-of-mind is having a system that will alert you to something bad happening, before it happens.

But the truth of the matter is not only is that wishful thinking, but also that if it's what you expect, it's false peace-of-mind. There's no guaranty that they won't break into your vehicle out of need or spite, regardless of whether you have a very visible alarm system (you'd imagine the factory security indicator light would have at least given the criminal pause, no?).

I would recommend instead of spending that extra money that you:

(1) "Sanitize" the interior of your vehicle, if you are in the habit of leaving anything that can even remotely seem of-value in plain sight. Sunglasses, radar-detector, even a cell-phone mount (which implies the potential presence of said phone), a gym bag, a brand-name/expensive water-bottle, even just a few coins.....

(2) Park in a more secure location. This may include the need to change your daily habit/routine: for example, if this event occurred during a time when the dog-park was deserted except for you, you may want to re-calculate your personal risk assessment (i.e. perhaps going at a more popular hour, and, say, minding social/physical disancing more). Property damage is one thing, but if someone felt strongly enough to break out two of your windows, what's to say that an interpersonal confrontation isn't next? What if you happened to walk back to the parking lot just as the crime was being perpetrated?

Aside:

I see that you have one sticker on your vehicle....the one on the rear quarter-window. Do/did you have other stickers on the vehicle, particularly any that expressed political/social views? If so, they wouldn't have happend to have been on the rear windows that were destroyed, would they?

Any conflicts or just weird interactions with anyone in/near the park in the hours or days prior to the incident? Anyone who may have seen that this is your vehicle?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Fellow doodle (Goldendoodle) owner here, @Ylime . :)

I recall many years ago while visiting a friend in Brooklyn I noticed that parked vehicles had notes in their window reading no radio. I thought that was curious so I asked about it and learned that thieves were breaking the windows during those years to take the "fancy" radios. The signs were the owners' attempt to convince the would be thief that it was not worth it. For those old enough, you might recall a time that radios with cd players had a face that could be easily removed when you left the vehicle. Owners would regularly take the face with them into work or their homes to avoid tempting evil doers.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I recall many years ago while visiting a friend in Brooklyn I noticed that parked vehicles had notes in their window reading no radio. I thought that was curious so I asked about it and learned that thieves were breaking the windows during those years to take the "fancy" radios. The signs were the owners' attempt to convince the would be thief that it was not worth it. For those old enough, you might recall a time that radios with cd players had a face that could be easily removed when you left the vehicle. Owners would regularly take the face with them into work or their homes to avoid tempting evil doers.

They still make those - nowhere near as popular, but they can still be found.

I actually had a Pioneer unit with a detachable faceplate in my '95 DSM. I think the first year they made them was '89? As a kid, I used to love the widebody Starion/Conquest that my neighbor had, and he had one of those in there. I guess the impression left was so deep that when I finally got a fun car, I just had to fulfill that bit of my childhood aspirations. :)

Question is if you've ever seen a completely - easily - removable radio chassis ("sled" - abuot the same time-period as the removable faceplates: different crowds ran with differing setups) or a removable 8-track (that would be my father's generation's time, the '70s, IIRC, as there was one in my uncle's vehicle). ;) No joke.

That said, for most modern vehicles, the integrated entertainment unit is no longer a primary target as they've gotten a bit too, er....integrated :giggle:.... into the rest of the vehicle's systems. It's now easier - arguably - to just steal the entire vehicle. But that's a whole different scale of crime than just the door-handle-tug/smash-and-go (or even "sliding" at the gas-pump).

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I had one of those sleds as well and at some time briefly had an 8 track.

I recall no seat belts as well.

My first vehicle as a kid was a 1967 Cadillac deville. The black finish was incredible on it and of course the length just kept going. The trunk was about as large as some Manhattan apartments. The vehicle even had a button on the drivers side floor to change the radio station (presets or search to next station). Everything was power on it. I loved looking at the horizon and seeing the turn signals at the far corners just above the shiny hood.

Speaking of stealing cars. In NYC (Queens) we had alternate side street parking so we would regularly move the car to another spot just so they could clean the street. Everyone who parked on the street had their usual spots they parked in. Sometimes that spot was far away from the apartment so we would walk through the park just to get the car. So what happens if when you went to pick up the car and it was not there? You would then need to hike to one of your other typical parking spots and then if not there a third. Eventually you would either recall where you parked the night before or you would realize someone stole your car. Fortunately I never had my vehicle stolen.

In these crazy times, it is nice to go back and recall the simple times.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Remember that overall, violent crime has been trending down as of the last few decades. Statistically speaking, we've never been safer.
True - for the issues that are being tracked. Growing up there were always many adults in the park next to where I lived and if any kid misbehaved, ANY adult could and was expected to address the issue. Everyone knew each other so no one could get away with anything for very long. This reality along with many more factors created a very stable neighborhood to grow up in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
"Sanitize" the interior of your vehicle, if you are in the habit of leaving anything that can even remotely seem of-value in plain sight. Sunglasses, radar-detector, even a cell-phone mount (which implies the potential presence of said phone), a gym bag, a brand-name/expensive water-bottle, even just a few coins.....
1000% agree with this. I used to live in a rough neighborhood and they'll grab anything they think could get a few bucks. Jackets, blankets, snow scrapers, CDs. I put gaffers tape over my CD drive and covered the "compact disk" logo; even if they couldn't take the radio, a CD player indicates that there are CDs to steal. Tool boxes were particularly eye catching, as well as dash-cameras. Its a real PITA to have to reattach and align the camera every morning. You also have to wash off the ring the suction cup leaves on the windshield.

The best safety I had for my car not getting stolen was to pull the fuse for the fuel pump. The car will crank and crank but won't actually run and a thief isn't going to waste time diagnosing the issue. Now my old car ('02 Forester) had the fuse in the passenger fuse box so I could pull it inconspicuously.
The Ascent, unfortunately, put it in the engine compartment fuse box. It would be a little more apparent that I'm doing something if I pop my hood every night and morning.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
428 Posts
I sure agree with the advice to leave nothing in the vehicle. Had the rear window of my old Subaru smashed a while back because we had left a blanket in the back. They stole the blanket, but left us a good sized rock in trade.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I sure agree with the advice to leave nothing in the vehicle. Had the rear window of my old Subaru smashed a while back because we had left a blanket in the back. They stole the blanket, but left us a good sized rock in trade.

1000% agree with this. I used to live in a rough neighborhood and they'll grab anything they think could get a few bucks. Jackets, blankets, snow scrapers, CDs. .... You also have to wash off the ring the suction cup leaves on the windshield.
When we immigrated to the US, my parents left without the consent of theirs. We were thus pretty close to penniless, and lived for about a year with my Godmother/Godfather, in their attic, in Inner-city Baltimore. They taught us the importance of having a sanitized car interior - not even a blanket. As you and @TheRaven pointed out, they could think that something valuable might be hidden underneath it......or that person could just want the blanket that bad.

Once we moved out (to a town-home we rented just across the street) and my parents bought their first new car ('85 Cavalier, they actually ordered the car from the dealership and waited for it!), they got it with an AM radio. ;) It was never broken into....(maybe being an '85 Cavalier also had something to do with it? 🤣 )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts