Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my OCD kicks in and I put together various kits for winter travel here in Northern Arizona, like recovery gear, first-aid, chains, food, etc. I need a way to secure stuff in the back so it doesn't become missiles and bludgeons in the event of an accident. I have three obvious tie-down points on the rear floor - are there more? What have you done to secure stuff, vis-a-vie hard containers vs. soft containers, ratchet straps, bungees, etc? Does anyone worry about hard stuff in the trunk bin (shackles, etc.) flying out during an accident and becoming airborne? Thanks.

I know I tend to go overboard, but I'm retired and I need a hobby... ;-\

·
Super Moderator
6,516 Posts
My tow shackles remain in their bag. My other off roading and tow gear and 3 ton jack reside in a Plano 64 quart bin behind the 2nd row, next to my big battery pack/inverter/compressor/jumpstarter.

I also always use my cargo cover, though, nothing moves due to how it's packed (eg: as noted above).

There are four tie downs on the floor, forming a square. Two at the gate and two behind the 2nd row. The bungee rear cargo net is designed to be unfolded and hooked to all four to use as a net over everything in the back. That only woks for smaller items though.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,526 Posts
I have all of my safety, towing and related stuff in the bin under the cargo cover. Anything else (such as my tie-down collection, rain coat, towels, etc., are in a canvas container that's about 1x2 foot by 1 foot high I got from Lee Valley which is butted up against the back of the left-side second row passenger seat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having spent the past 25 years in mid-Maryland, the stories about folks being stranded on the PA Turnpike for 4 days during a blizzard kinda make me want to be prepared. Also, hearing a paramedic tell about people in accidents with unsecured cargo makes me a believer as well. Loose cargo can become deadly in a freeway speed rollover or head-on crash situation. I can't prep for any concievable event, but a boy's gotta do what a boy's gotta do.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I nearly always have my 3rd row up so much less cargo area to secure...
I had the oem cargo net but it got cumbersome so now in just have a bungee cord across the back. Groceries and luggage all get their handles fed thru. The rest of the time I like to live on the edge thoroughly unprepared 😬

·
Registered
542 Posts
... the stories about folks being stranded on the PA Turnpike for 4 days during a blizzard kinda make me want to be prepared...
Reminds me of a time in the late '70s when a college buddy and I were driving west through PA in Jan in an old Volvo. We were hitting the front edge of a huge storm and the Turnpike had turned into a sheet of ice with vehicles moving a couple of mph and just sliding sideways onto the shoulder. We made it to an exit around 1:00 AM and big roadside restaurant had opened to let stranded motorists sleep on the floor...which we did. We chained up on and off and continued through the brunt of the storm. Later, traveling I80 through Nebraska on the backside of that storm the temperature was in negative teens with a 30+ mph headwind. We covered the entire radiator with a piece of cardboard and the engine temp gauge still wasn't registering anything. We had to put everything on we had and blankets over ourselves to keep from freezing, and keep scraping ice off the inside of the windshield as we drove.

Needless to say, that was kind of risky and dumb, but we were young, intrepid, and invincible at the time.... and didn't have getting a motel room for a couple of nights in our meager budget.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, my OCD kicks in and I put together various kits for winter travel here in Northern Arizona, like recovery gear, first-aid, chains, food, etc. I need a way to secure stuff in the back so it doesn't become missiles and bludgeons in the event of an accident. I have three obvious tie-down points on the rear floor - are there more? What have you done to secure stuff, vis-a-vie hard containers vs. soft containers, ratchet straps, bungees, etc? Does anyone worry about hard stuff in the trunk bin (shackles, etc.) flying out during an accident and becoming airborne? Thanks.

I know I tend to go overboard, but I'm retired and I need a hobby... ;-\

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use LLBean canvass zip bags for everything we carry. In the cargo area (3rd seat down), I use 2 pairs of ratchets criss-crossing from side to side through the handles of these zipped closed bags, secured at the 4 tie-down points. If you use their medium-sized bag, you can still use the cargo cover over the whole lot. In the second row, I do the same but use the seat belts to secure everything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reminds me of a time in the late '70s when a college buddy and I were driving west through PA in Jan in an old Volvo. We were hitting the front edge of a huge storm and the Turnpike had turned into a sheet of ice with vehicles moving a couple of mph and just sliding sideways onto the shoulder. We made it to an exit around 1:00 AM and big roadside restaurant had opened to let stranded motorists sleep on the floor...which we did. We chained up on and off and continued through the brunt of the storm. Later, traveling I80 through Nebraska on the backside of that storm the temperature was in negative teens with a 30+ mph headwind. We covered the entire radiator with a piece of cardboard and the engine temp gauge still wasn't registering anything. We had to put everything on we had and blankets over ourselves to keep from freezing, and keep scraping ice off the inside of the windshield as we drove.

Needless to say, that was kind of risky and dumb, but we were young, intrepid, and invincible at the time.... and didn't have getting a motel room for a couple of nights in our meager budget.
I am still amazed I lasted this long. I was a career sailor for 23 years and needless to say, I survived a lot of judgment lapses. :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I only have one bag of gear in the back (3rd row seats down) which is held from sliding/moving with 550 paracord through its handles to the tie down points. That's there all the time and holds extra clothing, photography tripods and other photo gear. When we haul the camper and keep coolers in the car, one is on a second row seat secured with a combination of seatbelt and paracord to a tie down point. Another cooler in the back cargo area secured with paracord to tie down points. Other gear is generally soft and we rely on the soft cover over the cargo area to keep things in place. Or if things aren't soft, paracord is laced through handles and secured at tie down points. All the hard gear that is normally in the car like jumper cables, wrench set, etc is in that space below the cargo area's floor.
As you've guessed, I'm a fan of paracord and the trucker's hitch. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts