Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was replacing my air filter for a K&N, and I noticed this white screen behind the air filter. it appears glued on can't be popped in and out, what is it, besides the obvious of a secondary filer, is it needed? Can I remove it without voiding the warranty?

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I wouldn't remove. The one in my Outback was pristine after 221,990 miles of regular filter then K&N filter, even with all my off-roading.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, oddly I just traded in my 15 Forester XT, which did not have this secondary screen. Why does one have it and not another?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Odd...

Thanks for the replies, oddly I just traded in my 15 Forester XT, which did not have this secondary screen. Why does one have it and not another?
Odd. I dunno. Possibly taken out accidentally by a service person?

Even my 2010 Outback had one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the forester was supposed to have it? any change in set up of the air box between the turbo and non-turbo? Asked the parts guy, says it's $40 to replace if needed. To me worth it to try running without it, I just see restriction in air-flow, and given the already poor gas mileage of this thing willing to try anything? You mentioned yours was pristine after 200K+ miles on your Outback, to me that says your first filter, the drop in, was doing its job, thus not needing the second one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts