1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I remember seeing the one about her Ascent going crazy. There was another one talking about their rear window just shattered while driving.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I found it odd that one of the complainants said "I did online research and followed these forums", and lists this forum as his source. At the end of the comment, they say "Please check this forum thread again". How is that even relevant to the actual problem? This isn't even an official Subaru website. The person then questions whether Subaru hid the information from it's customers. I guess the NHTSA website will let anyone post gibberish irrelevant crap.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I guess the NHTSA website will let anyone post gibberish irrelevant crap.
Anyone can post a complaint about their car, which is a good thing. I do find it comforting that this forum is also available as a resource, and that because I check both, I'm rarely surprised by either.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just out of curiosity, the complaint states that the car became unstable, the kids were screaming and the car would go faster than 60!!??? That probably wouldn't be my first action of choice.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I have no first hand knowledge of this particular incident, but I am aware of someone who tried letting their Subie drive, and, when it headed towards a lane marker at an oblique angle, it of course veered towards the other one, and pinballed back and forth, until it eventually saw something in its line of sight (probably a tree, guard rail, or sign) causing collision avoidance to kick in and drag the car to a screeching halt. Fortunately, the pinballing didn't become so severe that VDC had to kick in to keep the car on all four, because various Eyesight functions would have disabled, and they would likely have headed headlong into the tree or guard rail that triggered the collision avoidance system to stop the car.

As for the reported incident, I've looked and looked, and I cannot find any other instance ever of:
  • Adaptive Cruise Control failing horrendously and accelerating while not allowing disengaging via the numerous mechanisms that do so (tapping the brakes, hitting the disable button, it accelerating *at* something).
  • Eyesight failing horrendously and causing brakes lock.
  • Subaru's famed ridiculously accurate individual wheel brake control logic and modules failing horrendously.
  • The various brake override mechanisms failing horrendously (various user interactions would regain brake control - the car WILL let you intentionally crash it if you want... and VDC engaging *will* disable Eyesight brake control as well (pg 36 Eyesight Manual))
  • in conjunction with the steering's torque sensor failing horrendously (no matter where the car wants to point you, one can literally two finger turn the opposite direction)
  • The steering motor failing horrendously in a locked position
  • VDC failing horrendously and not responding to pinballing back and forth or not triggering the shutdown of other systems

AT THE SAME TIME no less. That's what the complaint is describing. Each of those systems simultaneously doing the wrong thing, in conjunction with severe failures of different, totally separate systems (eg: the brake booster and control is a different physical system than the electric steering rack). Heck, just lightly pressing the brakes disables ACC (until re-enabled) and LKA (until the foot is off the brake pedal).

BUT, sure, it IS possible.

Seriously. Last week, our high speed connection to our data center went down because of a card failure at a massive ISP's NOC. One little card that circuits flowed through. Backup mechanisms didn't work because of the type of failure. The traffic didn't reroute as it should if the backups don't take over.

It was that once in a lifetime type of failure where nothing worked properly, and seemingly unrelated systems failed to address the failure.

It'll probably never happen again.

Is that what happened here? I've got no idea, because none of us have first hand knowledge of the event and likely never will. ??

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I learned first hand this morning that if collision avoidance fully kicks in it cuts the gas off (or feels that way)! I was stopped waiting to make a left hand turn heading into a gas station this morning. There was a car making a slow right hand turn into the same gas station, so I quickly turned in right behind to avoid waiting on the dozen cars heading my way. All of a sudden and unexpected as I entered the driveway of the gas station right behind this car the collision avoidance fully kicked in bringing me to a complete stop
(My foot still on the gas). The only warning the system gave me was a quick beep simultaneously as the truck screeched to a stop.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I learned first hand this morning that if collision avoidance fully kicks in it cuts the gas off (or feels that way)! I was stopped waiting to make a left hand turn heading into a gas station this morning. There was a car making a slow right hand turn into the same gas station, so I quickly turned in right behind to avoid waiting on the dozen cars heading my way. All of a sudden and unexpected as I entered the driveway of the gas station right behind this car the collision avoidance fully kicked in bringing me to a complete stop
(My foot still on the gas). The only warning the system gave me was a quick beep simultaneously as the truck screeched to a stop.
:tango_face_wink: So, you're saying it doesn't accelerate at the vehicle, disable the brakes and lock the steering wheel so you can't turn it? :tango_face_wink:

But yeah, if it thinks an impact is imminent and you don't have time to react, it reacts pretty quickly. I've had a number of instances where it thinks I have some time to react, and it bugs me with the on screen warning, the lights and the beeps. I've had twice in about 10,000 miles where it's intervened and cut throttle and applied the brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts