Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone- has anybody had issues with their seat position memory?? I have a limited , and the drivers side memory does not seem to consistently retain the seat positions (either of them). Anyone have any thoughts??

·
Registered
111 Posts
When are you trying to set them? They don't work when you are driving, only while stopped and in park.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you clarify?
The seat won't remember positions while driving, or won't move to recorded positions while driving or both?

That would explain it tho.
CC

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can test again while I'm in the car, but I know it won't set a new position while driving. Pretty sure it won't move back to the memory position while driving either. One of those safety first things by Subaru. If your seat is moving while you are driving, you are unsafe!

You can set the memory buttons while in Park, and there is a way to set positions based on the key fobs as well, so you can have up to 4 presets.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My wife reported that she can't get the seat position to set on her new limited Ascent. This is our first Subaru, but we waked through the instructions as we understood them from the manual, but no chirp to indicate anything was set.

I don't drive it, but also walked through the instructions as I read them (parking brake on, etc), and no chirp. Didn't try to set the memory with the fob as yet, only the buttons.

Only thing she has done so far really is she managed to turn off the seat belt warning chime by watching a youtube video previously (would not think this pertinent, but just in case)

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
You can store a new position while driving, while parked, etc. You cannot have the system revert to that position while driving (but the manual controls on the seat itself will still work).

To store, hold the set button, and then long press and hold the "1" or "2" until you hear the system make a confirmation beep. If you don't hear that beep, it didn't store the position.

You can also store a seat position tied to a specific keyfob, if you have pushbutton start and the smart fobs that work with it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can store a new position while driving, while parked, etc. You cannot have the system revert to that position while driving (but the manual controls on the seat itself will still work).

To store, hold the set button, and then long press and hold the "1" or "2" until you hear the system make a confirmation beep. If you don't hear that beep, it didn't store the position.

You can also store a seat position tied to a specific keyfob, if you have pushbutton start and the smart fobs that work with it.

Yep, tried that a few times. Unfortunately no chirp. Didn't try the key fob as yet.

May have to ask the dealer about it at the first oil change (which I'll probably do at about 3,000 miles since it will be the first one/break in).

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
If this doesn't work, something is wrong... and, no need for an oil change yet...

Yep, tried that a few times. Unfortunately no chirp. Didn't try the key fob as yet.
The FOB has a setup procedure to link it to a stored setting, so, that's a bit more complex. Carl and I both posted the instructions in the forum, and you can find it in your manual as well. Lemme know if you need help with that.

But, just to make sure, because I am realizing I wasn't totally clear on the instructions (and if this is what you did, sounds like there's a problem). You may have done it exactly like this, but since my earlier instructions forgot a couple key words, I figured I'd correct that below, just in case:
  1. Press and HOLD the SET button, and do not let go.
  2. While still holding the SET button, press and HOLD (1) or (2) button.
  3. When the system chirps, let go of both buttons.

May have to ask the dealer about it at the first oil change (which I'll probably do at about 3,000 miles since it will be the first one/break in).
On the Ascent, Subaru has advised the dealer there is no reason to do a break-in oil change at 1,000 or 3,000 or any other miles, and oil changes can be done at 6,000 (earlier if you tow or off-road or otherwise beat on your Ascent).

Regardless of some of them not being aware of the instructions for the Ascent, dealers will still do an oil change if you request. But, the Ascent has break-in oil in it which is not quite the same as the regular oil your car will be using in the future, starting with your first oil change.

So... feel free, if you want. A few people have. But, there's no reason to, unlike previous years where Subaru's recommendation was to do an oil change at 1,000 miles or 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The FOB has a setup procedure to link it to a stored setting, so, that's a bit more complex. Carl and I both posted the instructions in the forum, and you can find it in your manual as well. Lemme know if you need help with that.

But, just to make sure, because I am realizing I wasn't totally clear on the instructions (and if this is what you did, sounds like there's a problem). You may have done it exactly like this, but since my earlier instructions forgot a couple key words, I figured I'd correct that below, just in case:
  1. Press and HOLD the SET button, and do not let go.
  2. While still holding the SET button, press and HOLD (1) or (2) button.
  3. When the system chirps, let go of both buttons.

Yep, tried it just like that for the door buttons, several times with no chirp. Didn't move on to the fob setting as like you stated, I noticed it seemed a bit more complex, and wanted to get the standard button working first.

On the Ascent, Subaru has advised the dealer there is no reason to do a break-in oil change at 1,000 or 3,000 or any other miles, and oil changes can be done at 6,000 (earlier if you tow or off-road or otherwise beat on your Ascent).

Regardless of some of them not being aware of the instructions for the Ascent, dealers will still do an oil change if you request. But, the Ascent has break-in oil in it which is not quite the same as the regular oil your car will be using in the future, starting with your first oil change.

So... feel free, if you want. A few people have. But, there's no reason to, unlike previous years where Subaru's recommendation was to do an oil change at 1,000 miles or 3,000 miles.

I saw a few folks state this on the forum previously. Didn't see if there was a definitive or referenced source for the "break in oil" being in it to start with? I know you often have referenced sources so figured I'd ask. Seems even if it had break in oil in it, you'd want to get that initial oil potential any items from the engine getting broken in out before the 6000 k interval.

Generally with motor oil, I try to go with a well respected or OEM synthetic and err on the side of more often than less. I know some folks want to run it as far as possible and they pay for the oil analysis, etc but seems like it's not an expensive safety net (especially on the vehicle I drive, which is not the Ascent, which I change the oil on myself and don't have a labor cost involved).

Apologies for the thread jack on the second topic.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I saw a few folks state this on the forum previously. Didn't see if there was a definitive or referenced source for the "break in oil" being in it to start with? I know you often have referenced sources so figured I'd ask. Seems even if it had break in oil in it, you'd want to get that initial oil potential any items from the engine getting broken in out before the 6000 k interval.

Generally with motor oil, I try to go with a well respected or OEM synthetic and err on the side of more often than less. I know some folks want to run it as far as possible and they pay for the oil analysis, etc but seems like it's not an expensive safety net (especially on the vehicle I drive, which is not the Ascent, which I change the oil on myself and don't have a labor cost involved).

Apologies for the thread jack on the second topic.
For the owner accessible version, check out your Warranty and Maintenance Guide.

For the note to the dealer, you'd need an STIS account to find the dealer service manual.

For a reiteration of what's in both (Maintenance Guide and STIS docs), you will find it spelled out here:
2019 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
About the tangent, for those wondering, the break-in oil contains high levels of zinc and phosphorus additives (called "ZDDP" in short hand) that are designed to provide the anti-wear protection required to help ensure everything seats correctly, and that's why no one should change it until the manufacturer recommended interval.

That interval is generally 6,000 miles for the Ascent and other new Subies, except in cases of extreme/harsh use, in which case the interval, including the break in oil change (first oil change) is less (check your manuals).

·
Registered
118 Posts
My wife reported that she can't get the seat position to set on her new limited Ascent. This is our first Subaru, but we waked through the instructions as we understood them from the manual, but no chirp to indicate anything was set.

I don't drive it, but also walked through the instructions as I read them (parking brake on, etc), and no chirp. Didn't try to set the memory with the fob as yet, only the buttons.

Only thing she has done so far really is she managed to turn off the seat belt warning chime by watching a youtube video previously (would not think this pertinent, but just in case)

Any help would be appreciated.

To close the loop, took the Ascent in for service today and the tech reproduced the issue (can't set memory seat position/no chirp, etc) removed the driver's front door panel and found the "switch for the memory seats was not plugged in. Installed connector into memory seat switch and verified operation." So that was fixed. Service area said they will be reporting to Subaru on that. I verified that it would in fact chirp now (would not before), but haven't messed with it beyond that as my wife drives the vehicle and she'll set it where she wants it.

Also, had oil changed, tires rotated for 6,000 mile service and had them flash the new software for the infotainment system.

And, got to drive the Ascent myself (it's my wife's car) for just the 3rd time since owning it. Dealership Service Area I took it to is across town, so got a good drive in, and man does the Ascent drive nicely.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
965 Posts
To close the loop, took the Ascent in for service today and the tech reproduced the issue (can't set memory seat position/no chirp, etc) removed the driver's front door panel and found the "switch for the memory seats was not plugged in. Installed connector into memory seat switch and verified operation." So that was fixed. Service area said they will be reporting to Subaru on that. I verified that it would in fact chirp now (would not before), but haven't messed with it beyond that as my wife drives the vehicle and she'll set it where she wants it.
I sense a new verification step coming in Indiana in the near future. :devil:

And yeah, I'm not sure how door line missed doing that. The doors are taken off, sub-assembled off the vehicles, then re-installed later on. So it had to be when the associate was putting things together on door line. I'd be willing to bet that there will quietly come down a check for everything that was assembled that day. Not a recall, just a service note to be on the lookout for memory seats not working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts