Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, we are about 5 days away from purchasing a new Limited Ascent and I’ve got quite a few concerns.

A big one is seat comfort. I’ve had a LOT of Subarus and most have never been known for comfortable seats.

Our current ‘14 Forester XT Touring (leather) has quite possibly the hardest, most uncomfortable seats out of all of them.

We make 4-6hr road trips quite routinely and after 2hrs we’re ready to get out of the car. Legs are numb, backs hurt etc. This doesn’t happen on many other cars we have or had. Subaru actually finally addressed this in the new for ‘19 Foresters.

I‘ve test driven the Ascents a handful of times and have to say I haven’t been really impressed with the leather seats (fairly hard, like my old Forester). Yet the longest drive I’ve had is ~10min.

Can anybody please chime in with their experience on specifically the Limited or Touring seats?

This is a big deal for the wife and I as we almost sold the Forester multiple times because of the seats. Also, we are fairly fit with average heights.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Seat comfort is very personal. For me, the Touring driver's seat is one of the most comfortable I've ever had and I've made several long round trips from PA to FL with no comfort issues. But that's for me. There have been other folks, however, that have posted exactly the opposite...certainly a minority, but everyone's back is different.

Firmer seats are typically better for longer-term travel and support, but again, that's very subjective.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, seats are subjective. However, I have posted several times on this issue. Our Ascent Limited seats are hard. The side bolsters in our car are hard as rocks. They have no give at all. For trips longer than 30 minutes I have to use a seat cushion to raise me slightly higher than the bolster. If I don't use I can feel an annoying pressure on my legs from the bolster throughout the trip. Also if I don't use the cushion for shorter trips I find I have to try to sit exactly right to get comfortable. Even w the re-positioning I can still feel the bolsters. I never have had to do this in any car I have owned. While you mentioned the Forester if you go back to the dealer try the seats in a new Outback. They are very different. Side bolsters are much softer w give. I am driving a loaner Outback. The difference between the two seats is very noticeable. You are not first person looking at the Ascent to ask. There is another thread that was started last week by someone interested in the Ascent and they noticed the difference between the Outback and Ascent seats. They also were complaining about the Ascent seats. Good luck deciding.

·
Registered
471 Posts
As Jim has already noted this topic has been debated pro and con.

My personal experience with our 2019 Limited is that I find the seats to be very comfortable for long trips.

I’m quite fussy about seats because my spine is completely fused from arthritis with a few zigs and zags thrown in for fun.
I had spine surgery scheduled for immediately after we returned from our trip to California last Winter so I was was in considerable pain throughout the 8,000+ mile trip where I did most of the driving.

I kept the seat heater cranked up for most of the trip and other than general stiffness at the end of each day the seats were really comfortable for me.

I’d suggest more seat time before you decide, even if it’s just sitting in the seats while parked at the dealership

·
Registered
255 Posts
Agree it's subjective/personal. My longest drive so far is only ~3 hrs there and ~3 hrs back. My butt and back were happy at the end and I think they'd be fine on significantly longer drives. My wife, on the other hand, felt the passenger seat hurt her tailbone. She hasn't yet driven it for long periods so IDK how her butt would fare in the driver's seat.

This is in a '19 Premium.

About a year ago we drove ~2000 miles in 3 days, twice, in different vehicles and our butts were fine. FWIW, I find most economy airline seats will hurt my tailbone.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Agreed, it's different for everyone. I find the seats very comfortable for about an hour and a half, but then, quite honestly, quite painful for stints much longer. My wife and kids tend to agree. We have a touring, with ventilated seats, and they tend to be more firm than non ventilated seats from my experience.
If ultimate seat comfort is a priority, I would say that Lincoln, Jaguar, and Volvo make the best seats at this point.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hey all, we are about 5 days away from purchasing a new Limited Ascent and I’ve got quite a few concerns.

A big one is seat comfort. I’ve had a LOT of Subarus and most have never been known for comfortable seats.

Our current ‘14 Forester XT Touring (leather) has quite possibly the hardest, most uncomfortable seats out of all of them.

We make 4-6hr road trips quite routinely and after 2hrs we’re ready to get out of the car. Legs are numb, backs hurt etc. This doesn’t happen on many other cars we have or had. Subaru actually finally addressed this in the new for ‘19 Foresters.

I‘ve test driven the Ascents a handful of times and have to say I haven’t been really impressed with the leather seats (fairly hard, like my old Forester). Yet the longest drive I’ve had is ~10min.

Can anybody please chime in with their experience on specifically the Limited or Touring seats?

This is a big deal for the wife and I as we almost sold the Forester multiple times because of the seats. Also, we are fairly fit with average heights.
Since it is very important to you, anyone else's opinion is irrelevant. What would it mean if I say it works for me or it doesn't work for me. I suggest you make arrangements with a dealer to drive one for one hour and determine if it works for your family. If you bought it and it didn't work, you would be very annoyed, so make certain since it is a key factor in your choice of a new vehicle.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Actually I do very much like the Premium cloth seats. I find them supportive and comfortable, even after 2 hrs of driving. At about 3 hrs my buttocks will start to get sore. That's longer than it would take in my Odyssey, Mercedes SL, Porsche or even my F450. IMO after having driven the Ascent almost 4k mi this past summer on a big trip, it's an excellent road trip vehicle.

·
Registered
620 Posts

My 19 Forester Touring seat is comfy perhaps not as much as the outback or Ascent with the adjustable thigh cushion but close and with the Touring you get the 8 way power also which is very nice

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have the Limited with Ivory leather seats (avoided black because of the Texas heat). I am 6'1" tall, and I love the the adjustable thigh cushion. Previously had a 2016 Forester with cloth seats, and found the seat base a tad too short. Yet to do a trip longer than 2 hrs, but so far so good..

·
Super Moderator
5,557 Posts
Seat comfort is VERY subjective. It does not matter if they are hard or soft or in between, or 10" of foam or 2" of foam. It's all very subjective.

My Outback seats were very soft. My Ascent seats are the firmest of the Ascent line (Touring trim), and I've went well over a dozen driving hours at a time quite comfortably in my Ascent Touring. I have.

My soft Outback seats got uncomfortable for me after an hour or so, at hundred miles or less. YMMV. It's a very personal thing.

This is an area I STRONGLY suggest each concerned person personally evaluate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not a fan of the seats in our premium, but I will say that at some point in the past 11 months, they broke in and are way more comfy than they were.

That said, if I ever had large concerns about a large purchase like this, I surely wouldn't be forging ahead with an "I guess we'll find out" attitude. I would make sure that stuff is locked down before I plunked my money on the table. Salesmen can wait until I'm darn good and ready to make a purchase that I'm sure I won't regret.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agree with all that the seat comfort is very subjective. We did a 8,000 mile, 30 day trip around the US this summer in our 2019 Touring, and by the second day I knew that I needed to do something about my seat. I bought a memory foam wheelchair pad that had sheepskin on one side, it was great. I set the 2nd memory position for the seats to accommodate the new driving position with the pad. In town I usually leave the pad at home, but it really helps on road trips. The only down side is that I can't use the seat heater when the pad is in place.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Agree it's subjective/personal. My longest drive so far is only ~3 hrs there and ~3 hrs back. My butt and back were happy at the end and I think they'd be fine on significantly longer drives. My wife, on the other hand, felt the passenger seat hurt her tailbone. She hasn't yet driven it for long periods so IDK how her butt would fare in the driver's seat.

This is in a '19 Premium.

About a year ago we drove ~2000 miles in 3 days, twice, in different vehicles and our butts were fine. FWIW, I find most economy airline seats will hurt my tailbone.
Seat comfort is VERY subjective. It does not matter if they are hard or soft or in between, or 10" of foam or 2" of foam. It's all very subjective.

My Outback seats were very soft. My Ascent seats are the firmest of the Ascent line (Touring trim), and I've went well over a dozen driving hours at a time quite comfortably. I have. YMMV. It's a very personal thing.

This is an area I STRONGLY suggest each concerned person personally evaluate.
Robert is correct. Seats are highly subjective.
I have to say that the two singularly best seats that both my wife and I agreed were comfortable and very supportive were in our 1985 Volvo 240 and our 1995 Mercedes E320. At the time, both of those brands spent a lot of time and expense of designing their seats.

We too have the Ascent Touring with the Java leather. We just finished a two week marathon trip on Route 66 from Illinois through Oklahoma, south to Dallas, east to New Orleans and Pensacola and ending in Central Florida. I drove many 12 plus hour days with no complaint on my part. The lumbar adjustment and thigh extension make a lot of difference to me on the driver’s seat.
However, both of us disliked the fact that the passenger seat lacks the full adjustments of the driver’s seat especially a height adjustment and the ability to change the front rear pitch at the front or rear of the cushion. My wife is 5’ 3” and I am 6’. It would be much better to be able to lower the passenger seat height for her and have a lumbar adjustment as she has had 3 back surgeries. One plus is with arthritis in the spine, the seat heater on low provides some relief.
For the price of the Touring, both front seats should have identical adjustments. I have provided this feedback to SOA.
On a final note, we have always rented a car we intended to buy from the dealer for a 2-3 day weekend. I strongly suggest that a 1 hour test drive just isn’t enough to decide if the seat comfort is an issue for you or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I am five foot, eleven inches, and weigh 325 (metabolic disorder), and just bought a Subaru Ascent Touring. The seats are tolerable, but I am not that impressed with them. I almost bought an VW Atlas because I thought the seats felt better; however, the VW Atlas just seemed to float down the road with lack of control, and I was concerned with reliability.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We bought a 2020 Limited Ascent on June 30th.

Since then we've made some 5hr, 8hr, 10hr, and 2-all day trips. (NJ>>NC) (NJ>>western PA) (NJ>>Rhode Island) NJ>>>Wisconsin and back) and most recently back to North Carolina where we bought a fiberglass camper and towed it home over 2-days.

conclusion - we find the 2020 Ascent Limited quite comfortable for long drives.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have a 2019 Limited Ascent and have taken 2 multi hour trips. One 1300 miles to Vermont and also to Boca Raton Florida, 500 miles. I find the seats very comfortable, except for the fact Subaru’s passenger seat does not have height and tilt, norblumbar adjustments found on the drivers seat. They don’t even offer it in Touring. My biggest complaint about the car is the radio comes on every time you start the car. If you do shut it off completely, the moment you use your phone it defaults back to coming on. If your bluetoothing through your phone, it’s sometimes is delayed 15–30 seconds and starts blasting just as your backing up. Everyone at the dealership recommends Turning the sound all the way down as you leave you car at night. Really! I have let them know, if this doesn’t change, it’s a deal breaker for me when I start looking again.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I agree with all of the comments about seat comfort being very much a matter of personal preference. We have 2014 Forester with leather seats and a 2019 Ascent Touring with 14,000 miles on it. The Ascent seats are MUCH more comfortable than the Forester seats. Shortly after we got the Ascent we made a 3 week, ~4,000 mile trip from Bellingham Washington, down through Oregon and California, to Phoenix then back up through northern Arizona, Utah and Idaho and finally back to Bellingham. Lots of time in the Ascent with no complaints about the seats. Also, the Ascent was downright awesome on the steep grades between Phoenix and Flagstaff (6% to 7% in places). It just sort of ignores hills! In Utah, cruising at 80-85 MPH was almost as comfortable and quiet as sitting in my living room.

·
Registered
2 Posts

i purchased a 2019 Ascent Touring and could not be more pleased with the seats. I have driven 6 hour round trips so far (3 hours duration without stopping) and have no issues. I am 65; 225lbs and 6’3” tall. My only real issue is not having anywhere to rest my left elbow. I like to rest my arm on the door along with the window, but it is very unnatural for me in the Ascent.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts