Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up a new Assent Touring as my wife's primary car. We love it except my wife, who is 5ft tall, is crippled with back and leg pain as either a passenger, or while driving. She has tried all kinds of pillows etc, to no avail.
Help! Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
Everyone's body is a little different. While my Ascent Touring's driver's seat is literally the most comfortable, enveloping seat I've ever had...it's likely going to be uncomfortable for some folks, too. Sometimes no matter how things are adjusted and micro-adjusted, a given seat doesn't work. Sad that your spouse is uncomfortable, OP.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I can think of one thing that might be causing the issue. The bottom seat cushion in the Ascent are a little longer than many other cars I have been in and if your wife has to reach a bit for the pedal it could cause some back issues as you twist a bit to reach them.

I'm sure you tried this but a few people I know that are shorter tend to move the seat really close to the wheel so they have more of a bend in the knee when reaching for the pedals. Will probably also need to adjust the steering wheel to compensate for moving the seat forward.

·
Registered
791 Posts
We find that the seats in the touring trim are unusually hard. They are fine for about 90 minutes for both my wife and I, but become painful after that. Best seats we ever had in a car were Saab and Volvo, the Swedes really get seating comfort. Worst were in a Honda Prelude.

I have found in all the cars I have owned, the trim levels with ventilated/cooled seats have harder seats than the trim levels that do not have vented seats (which makes sense as you need some rigidity in the seats for the air passages). Maybe you could try some type of padded seat cover, provided it fits well on the seat and does not slide around.

This is a hard issue to test for- we were offered a car for the day before we purchased the Ascent, and we did not notice the seat stiffness in the Touring model they gave us, as we were not in the car continuously for more than 90 minutes at a time. If you look for a replacement car, try to spend as much time in the seats as you possible can before you purchase.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have spent many hours driving at a time in various cars. Mercedes and Porsche seats are rock hard and my buttocks get sore after 2 hours. Our Honda Odyssey also has hard seats and I have the same problem. My Ford Superduty is a tad better. We did 6000 miles on a road trip last summer and about 2.5-3 hrs was my limit before the ol buttocks got sore.

On our premium Ascent with the cloth seats, I did a 7 hour round trip drive last Saturday and I had no aches at all. I find these seats to be among the most comfortable I’ve ever had, including my old Volvo.

Perhaps the cloth is just softer?

Otherwise maybe truly some seat or back cushions to reposition her so she can be more comfortable?

·
Banned
85 Posts
Just joined the forum but have been reading it for a couple of months. Love the forum as I have learned a lot about the Ascent. We have a limited. The issue I have with the driver's seat is the seat bottom left side cushion. I have to sit just right in the seat otherwise I feel the raised cushion putting pressure against my upper leg. I never noticed it when I test drove the car but after having the car a couple of days it became very noticeable making the car not enjoyable to drive at times. I find that I often have to readjust my seating position several times before I drive and sometimes even while driving so I can sit comfortably in the seat. The right side is fine it is only the left that puts this uncomfortable, not painful, pressure on my leg. There are times when it aggravates me so much I want to trade the car in.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Get a seat cushion in Amazon so it raises you up a bit. That will effectively move your body up and away from the side bolsters since they are tapered away from you as you live up and away from the seat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have spent many hours driving at a time in various cars. Mercedes and Porsche seats are rock hard and my buttocks get sore after 2 hours. Our Honda Odyssey also has hard seats and I have the same problem. My Ford Superduty is a tad better. We did 6000 miles on a road trip last summer and about 2.5-3 hrs was my limit before the ol buttocks got sore.

On our premium Ascent with the cloth seats, I did a 7 hour round trip drive last Saturday and I had no aches at all. I find these seats to be among the most comfortable I’ve ever had, including my old Volvo.

Perhaps the cloth is just softer?

Otherwise maybe truly some seat or back cushions to reposition her so she can be more comfortable?
That is good to hear about the Premium trim. I am looking to buy one for MY20 and was concerned that the Premium seats were not as comfortable as the Limited and Touring.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I am looking into a seat cushion. What is interesting is our limited is seven passenger w quad seating. I find the rear seats are very comfortable. The side bolster is not as prominent. I wish the rear seats were the same for the front.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
We just picked up a new Assent Touring as my wife's primary car. We love it except my wife, who is 5ft tall, is crippled with back and leg pain as either a passenger, or while driving. She has tried all kinds of pillows etc, to no avail.
Help! Any suggestions?

Sorry I am just getting to this... the leg support extends, and it also tilts up and down. I found getting this right was utterly crucial to the entire seat comfort. Having it wrong also affected my back, because of tensing up muscles to try to make my legs more comfortable.

https://www.facebook.com/SubaruAmbassadorRobert/videos/1976486105725738/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a limited, but I think the seat adjustments are very similar, and there are a lot of them besides up, down forward and back. Also, keep in mind the steering wheel adjustments and lumbar. It just might take a lot of trial and error, but given the available adjustments for the seat and wheel a reasonably comfortable position should be found.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.