Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i find it more comfortable to use 3 in seat belt extenders made in sweden. sometimes very difficult to find and attach seat belt especially for my father in law with alzheimer's in rear seat.
I installed for both front seats in my new awesome ascent but the passenger seat airbag off light came on, reversed it and it went off, now passenger airbag light is "on" when my wife sits in seat. initially thought we had a recall safety issue. thought there was some disengage button we pushed. after 30 min investigating the manual and google search couldn't find anything

sooooo i dragged out the manual and tried to find out why "off" . my wife found the entry about seat belt extenders are NOT recommended ( i can understand for a car seat)

that's when i turned it around ( it worked) and removed it of course the "on" light came on.

hmmmmm...your thoughts or is subaru being overly lawyer conscious

your thoughts...thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
I have a small extended on the left rear seat. I can try it up from tomorrow and see if anything weird happens.
They usually say they’re not recommended because it changes an important safety aspect in the vehicle and don’t want to be liable for anything that happens if they’re used.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I treat the user manual as a guidance from their lawyers. If you want to find a technical guidance, use your common sense.

If you believe in the seat belt extender you mentioned, it’s sensible to use it. Obviously, I don’t see an issue if you’re using the seatbelt while driving. Also, when you have extender, the seat belt warning system is bypassed (front seats).

Keep in mind, if you’re in a legal path (lawsuit against Subaru or insurance for damage or injury) and any mods can be used as evident to waive your rights

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Also, when you have extender, the seat belt warning system is bypassed (front seats).
That’s referring to the annoying chime when the seat is occupied but not buckled, right? I completely forgot that was a thing since I disabled it long ago ?
To follow up from my original reply to the op, I tried my extender up front and it had no effect on the airbag. The airbag light indicated ON when I sat in the seat and OFF when I exited, within a few seconds, regardless of the belt being buckled or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Took my new 2020 Ascent Limited to dealer to see why the Passenger's Air Bag OFF light is always on.

Dealer says the front passenger's rigid seat belt extender "interferes with the circuitry" in the SRS system which "checks resistance" and fails the check with the extender inserted.

I have used this same extender on 2 previous Foresters without issue.

I emailed the manufacturer of the extender (SeatBelt Pros) who replied they have never heard of this problem and suggested I contact SOA.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, any resolution?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Took my new 2020 Ascent Limited to dealer to see why the Passenger's Air Bag OFF light is always on.
I figured it was my car being overly informative . Our Forrester and the Ascent both have a dash light, says either Pass Airbag ON or OFF. No way to change it. can't shut it off. Just being annoying and saying it's in __ mode.
It does change if there is a passenger, then it says ON. Same orange color.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We also did not have this problem until we replaced our Forester with a 2020. We noticed a few months ago that my wife's use of an extender was intermittently causing her passenger airbag to be disabled. Neither the dealer nor the company owned up to the problem. We've experimented by trying to come up with a reproducible test case.
Impressions:
  • If you leave the seatbelt or the extender plugged in, before you sit down, the airbag will probably be disabled. We did the seatbelt experiment to demonstrate that it isn't an issue with the extender: it's a problem with the sensor logic. Disconnecting then reconnecting to the car's buckle, while seated, always enables the airbag. The sensor takes a moment to update its status.
  • There seems to some amount of "memory" effect. For example: if you've been out for a drive, airbag enabled, then take a lunch break you'll sometimes find that the airbag is enabled even though you left the extender plugged in. The disabled airbag phenomenon seems to be much more consistent overnight.
My wife uses the extender due to weight and injuries.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,116 Posts
We also did not have this problem until we replaced our Forester with a 2020. We noticed a few months ago that my wife's use of an extender was intermittently causing her passenger airbag to be disabled. Neither the dealer nor the company owned up to the problem. We've experimented by trying to come up with a reproducible test case.
Impressions:
  • If you leave the seatbelt or the extender plugged in, before you sit down, the airbag will probably be disabled. We did the seatbelt experiment to demonstrate that it isn't an issue with the extender: it's a problem with the sensor logic. Disconnecting then reconnecting to the car's buckle, while seated, always enables the airbag. The sensor takes a moment to update its status.
  • There seems to some amount of "memory" effect. For example: if you've been out for a drive, airbag enabled, then take a lunch break you'll sometimes find that the airbag is enabled even though you left the extender plugged in. The disabled airbag phenomenon seems to be much more consistent overnight.
This is probably a safeguard against people who might leave the seat belt buckled and then sitting on top of the belt. I could see delivery drivers doing this instead of constantly unbuckling and buckling everytime they jump in and out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Impressions:
Wehad the same problem in 2 Foresters and out latest 2020 Ascent Premium. Got all the same answers from SOA and the dealer.

We found that a fabric patch woven with metal threads placed UNDER the seat covers (sheepskin) on the passenger side worked fine in the Foresters, but not the Ascent.

The solution we found for the Ascent (which seems to work consistently) is to connect and disconnect the seatbelt FROM THE EXTENDER, and not to disconnect the extender from the seat at all. Doesn't seem to matter if the seatbelt is connected to the extender before or after the car is started. This always results in the Passenger Seat Belt light ON when the passenger is seated and the belt and extender connected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts