Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven’t had the car for even 24 hours yet and a small rock (didn’t see or hear it) hit my windshield and left a small scuff in the windshield, about 2mm. It’s literally right at eye level in front of the drivers seat. I had my last car for 10 years and never had so much as a mark on the windshield. It could just be bad luck (hopefully) or maybe they’re is an issue with the integrity of the glass (hopefully not). 3 questions. 1) Anyone else’s have a similar experience? 2) Do I need to repair a scuff (rough under my fingernail) in a windshield? 3) If so, donIngo through Subaru? Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I’d chalk it up to bad luck. I wouldn’t bother taking it to the dealer as I’ve not encountered one that does glass repair. Suggest you take it to an auto glass repair shop and show it to them and see what they say. If there’s a chance it could develop into something more serious, and they can repair it, then it should be at no cost to you. Most auto policies cover the total cost of these types of repairs as they prevent it from developing into a full blown crack requiring replacement of the windshield, which, depending on your deductible, would in the end cost them lots more money.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Haven’t had the car for even 24 hours yet and a small rock (didn’t see or hear it) hit my windshield and left a small scuff in the windshield, about 2mm. It’s literally right at eye level in front of the drivers seat. I had my last car for 10 years and never had so much as a mark on the windshield. It could just be bad luck (hopefully) or maybe they’re is an issue with the integrity of the glass (hopefully not). 3 questions. 1) Anyone else’s have a similar experience? 2) Do I need to repair a scuff (rough under my fingernail) in a windshield? 3) If so, donIngo through Subaru? Thanks!
1) I didn’t get a scuff. In my experience it seems like the front windshield chips easier than any other cars I’ve had.
2,3) my dealership contracts it out to a local company for any repairs or replacement. I would recommend going to Safelite (national company). My windshield cracked and was replaced by this company. They were professional and fast. I’m sure they do estimates and let you know if it is necessary to repair.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had similar scuff on my new ascent a month ago. I would drive with scuff until it cracks during winter/summer and claim a no-cost replacement from the insurance company rather than going for a temporary fix...

Looks like ascent windshield is more prone to debris, have seen another thread mentioning it's attracting dust/insects..

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
It will be a no-cost replacement only if you have zero deductible on your comprehensive portion of your auto policy. As far as the Subaru windshield being more susceptible to chip damage than other car brands, I don’t believe that’s the case. The three Subarus I own have held up just as well as my previous vehicles, and I’ve had to replace windshields on most of them - Jeep, Saturn, and Ford, especially during winter driving on sanded roads.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will be a no-cost replacement only if you have zero deductible on your comprehensive portion of your auto policy. As far as the Subaru windshield being more susceptible to chip damage than other car brands, I don’t believe that’s the case. The three Subarus I own have held up just as well as my previous vehicles, and I’ve had to replace windshields on most of them - Jeep, Saturn, and Ford, especially during winter driving on sanded roads.
I’m leaning towards bad luck too but my Ford Edge of 10 years on the same roads never had a mark, and I remember there being a number of hard rock strikes over the years. I didn’t even notice this one until the sun hit it the right way. It’s not terrible. Really more of a scuff, not a nick or a crack but a scuff like a piece of sandpaper hit it. I’m not sure there’s a fix or or even needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got a crack on my windshield - about an inch in diameter (touring trim, 1000 miles), right around the center. Like MichaelJohn said, didn't see or hear anything. Parked the car yesterday night and noticed nothing until this morning. Feeling absolutely awful.

What to do?
(a) take to dealer to check what needs to be done
(b) take to Safelite and try to get repaired out of pocket. Are repairs a problem because of eyesight and rain sensors? is there any reason to go through insurance for repair?
(c) tape it and do nothing right now

(In SF Bay Area and on Geico)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I got a crack on my windshield - about an inch in diameter (touring trim, 1000 miles), right around the center. Like MichaelJohn said, didn't see or hear anything. Parked the car yesterday night and noticed nothing until this morning. Feeling absolutely awful.

What to do?
(b) take to Safelite and try to get repaired out of pocket. Are repairs a problem because of eyesight and rain sensors? is there any reason to go through insurance for repair?

This is what insurance is for. If you have comprehensive insurance, and I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't on a new vehicle, then you should have a glass replacement clause. Usually, there is only a $50-$100 deductible for windshields, so that's all it will cost you, your insurance will pay the rest. Read your policy to find out.

Many glass shops will even waive the deductible. I've had many windshields replaced and I never pay a dime. Windshield replacement is very common and because it's no fault of the insured, most insurance companies won't raise your rate because of a replacement. I've never had a rate increase due to glass repair.

Just call your insurance company, it's no problem.

·
Registered
965 Posts
What to do?

There are no non-OEM windshields available for Eyesight cars. While Safelight could conceivably do the windshield replacement, your vehicle will still need to have the Eyesight cameras recalibrated for the new windshield. Safelight techs have not gone through the training required for this. It still takes my techs a couple of hours to do the job right (down from the nearly 4 hours it took them from when they were just learning how to do it). The Eyesight system is THE primary active safety system in your car. So I'd make sure it's done right.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Could fix it yourself with the Permatex windsheild repair kit. I found it pretty easy to use.
As I mentioned above, this type of repair is usually done by the repair shop at no cost to you as most insurance companies will cover this cost, regardless of what deductible you carry, as it’s cheaper than having to pay for a full replacement. I’ve done this two times with other cars and the results are pretty amazing. I’d at least go to an auto glass repair shop and ask about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts