Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With only 250 miles on it, I just barely touched the edge of the garage entryway. A 1" strip of paint popped off and there were light clear coat scrapes below. There was a huge cost savings between using www.carbodylab.com and a body shop. He did a really good job and it will look even better when he comes next week to buff it out.

The process was
1. Mask and drape the entire car
2. Feather the edge of the missing paint area
3. Lightly scuff the area with a progression of 800 and higher grits
4. Apply bulldog adhesion promoter (clear primer) and allow to dry
5. Apply the CWP white base coat blending out from the damaged area and allow to dry.
6. Lightly scuff the CWP and tack clean
7. Apply the pearlescence fading it out from the damage area and allow it to dry
8. Apply clear coat and allow to dry
Took about 2 1/2 hours right in my garage. There's a tiny area of orange peel and a couple of dirt specks but it will all be perfected with the buff out.

Here are a series of still shots through the process.
Before:

Draped, masked and feathered

Base white applied

Pearlescence applied

Clear coat applied and dry

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good job. Personally I've used automotivetouchup paint and some 2k clear before. Works great - cost $40-$50. 1 spray base color match and 2k clear.
Its my wife's car. I would have done it myself if it was mine. But, if I did it myself and it was anything but perfect, I'd never hear the end of it.

The CWP is three stage paint so you have to match and fade the base color and then you have to match and fade the pearlescence. It's easy to overdo or underdo either one and the touch-up would be noticeable.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
hmm... why not just buy a bumper cover? cheaper
Paint may not match...different batch, different weathering, etc. That's why most OEM body/fascia parts are unpainted. But if you don't look too close, a take-off like that might work just fine.

Reactions: Ey31

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm... why not just buy a bumper cover? cheaper. :D maybe that's something I would've done and than spray and pray ;)

View attachment 5337
"Spray and pray" ... Exactly

The body shops that I spoke to wanted $1200-1500 to paint the bumper cover right out of the box. They said that they had to buy as much paint for the bumper as they have to buy for the whole car. The bodylab guy mixed the paint himself from his tint kit using the OEM ratios. The amount of paint used was literally milligrams mixed with generic thinner. The body shops only wanted to buy full OEM cans.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
'Lex, I think the real key here is that the operator described has skilz when it comes to color matching and something like CWP is "complicated".

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The spray gun that was used was like a very large airbrush. Probably held only 2oz compared to the 8oz or more for full paint jobs.

For a scratch, you might want to try a touch-up pen and something like this www.langka.com The langka is used to flatten the inevitable ridge that the pens create. I've used it on other cars for scratches on less obvious visual locations. I knew where the touchups were but no one else saw them.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The spray gun that was used was like a very large airbrush. Probably held only 2oz compared to the 8oz or more for full paint jobs.

For a scratch, you might want to try a touch-up pen and something like this www.langka.com The langka is used to flatten the inevitable ridge that the pens create. I've used it on other cars for scratches on less obvious visual locations. I knew where the touchups were but no one else saw them.
Thanks for the link. The Langka is interesting. It's basically kind of what you'd do with an airbrush if you had the 3 components.

·
Registered
559 Posts
'Lex, I think the real key here is that the operator described has skilz when it comes to color matching and something like CWP is "complicated".
Yeah, I'm sure this, as in many things, is very technique sensitive. I'm just wondering if I can buy a 3 component touch up kit and use my airbrush to repair. But maybe for a scratch a simple fine paint brush would be simpler.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I'm sure this, as in many things, is very technique sensitive. I'm just wondering if I can buy a 3 component touch up kit and use my airbrush to repair. But maybe for a scratch a simple fine paint brush would be simpler.
There are plenty of 3 stage touch-up products available like this Amazon.com: PAINTSCRATCH Touch Up Paint Tricoat Pen Car Scratch Repair Kit - Compatible with 2019 Subaru Forester Crystal White Tricoat (Color Code: K1X): Automotive

Or you can look at stuff like this available as aerosols or liquid:

I haven't used these products so I'm not endorsing them. I just ran across them before deciding to hire someone else to do the work.

·
Registered
559 Posts
There seems to be no shortage of touch up paints available:

Here's a couple I've found:
Subaru Ascent Touch Up Paint & Paint Color Codes | TouchUpDirect
Paint Bottle Kit (tricoat) | PaintScratch.com

There are plenty of 3 stage touch-up products available like this Amazon.com: PAINTSCRATCH Touch Up Paint Tricoat Pen Car Scratch Repair Kit - Compatible with 2019 Subaru Forester Crystal White Tricoat (Color Code: K1X): Automotive

Or you can look at stuff like this available as aerosols or liquid:

I haven't used these products so I'm not endorsing them. I just ran across them before deciding to hire someone else to do the work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts