Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our (almost) two-year relationship with our 2019 Subaru Ascent ended today. We traded it in for another vehicle.

I appreciate all the loyal Subaru owners (some are in our immediate family) and I wish all of you well.

The Ascent possesses some fine virtues and I am certain it will provide years of enjoyment for many of you. In the end, the Ascent just wasn't the right car for us. For us, it was just too big. I folded down the third row the day we bought it, and it remained folded-down until today. So, we now have a new, two-row SUV that fits us just right. That's the great thing about having many choices.

Cheers to all!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
565 Posts
I know what you mean. I'm on the opposite side of that equation. If not for the price, I'd have gotten the Chevy Expedition Max. I love to spread out and have room for everything. The Ascent, while small, fits the needs if not exactly the wishes I have for a vehicle.
I've rented an Expedition several times while on vacation in Idaho and Florida. The max we rented in Florida was named by the grand kids we were taking to DisneyWorld as Silver Maximus. Ha! Room for 6 plus all our luggage for 2 weeks, strollers, sand/beach toys, etc. The occasions in Idaho were two funerals. Huge, BLACK and carried several to the venues in style and good taste.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
Best wishes to you!

I actually bought my Ascent because it was larger inside compared to my previous vehicle, especially with the third row folded down 99% of the time. ;) But everyone's needs are different. And we also have a Forester, too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I actually bought my Ascent because it was larger inside compared to my previous vehicle, especially with the third row folded down 99% of the time. ;) But everyone's needs are different. And we also have a Forester, too.
We're a Foz & Ascent family too now, that had previously had an OB & Honda Pilot.

Pilot had limited access to the third row via the 2nd row and the leg room when needed was garbage for anyone over 4'6" tall. This didn't matter 99% of the time, but it has been awesome to have that extra availabe space on trips or in a pinch when needed with our kids pre COVID activities.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm shopping right now and I've actually ruled out the Ascent because of the price and I'm focusing on the Forester. I would prefer the larger size and added amenities, but as a personal commuter vehicle I just can't justify it at this point in our lives.

Now here in a few years I think we will swap out our 2013 Highlander for an Ascent to be the family vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,199 Posts
I'd have bought a pickup for towing over 3500#s. Two row CUVs with that towing capacity no longer exist. Not sure if the Ascent 3rd row will ever get used by anyone. Haven't been able to convince either dog to go back there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
2 Kids and a dog. Plus the kids friends.

Also got a sister in law that we keep having to bring stuff to (occasionally back from).

3 rows was a must even though during COVID 3rd row is down 99% of the time too.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Which dealer do you go to for one of those?? o_O;)
Ha!
Like I said, I rented 'em at the airports.
BTW, here's tip; when at the airport car rental counter, when they ask why you come to visit their fair city, tell them you are there for a funeral. Both times in Idaho, they instantly upgraded me from what ever podunk car I was gonna rent to the MAX. Very kind folks! In Florida, the guy at the counter saw my crew; Me, wife, son (who is 6'4"), his wife and our two grand kids along with strollers and enough luggage to have sunk the Titanic. He asked, as they always do, if I would like an upgrade. I asked, as I always do, what he would recommend. He pulls out the keys to a new MAX with under 100 miles on it and says, 'break 'er in!' Ha! Cost was an additional $25 a week over what ever it was I had rented.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to be that guy, but if you aren't renting a vehicle for a funeral, you're potentially taking that courtesy upgrade away from someone else down the line who is. Just something to think about. In my life I've been both blessed and cursed by the rental car gods (forced upgrades and forced downgrades), and dare not anger them. :LOL:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sorry to be that guy, but if you aren't renting a vehicle for a funeral, you're potentially taking that courtesy upgrade away from someone else down the line who is. Just something to think about. In my life I've been both blessed and cursed by the rental car gods (forced upgrades and forced downgrades), and dare not anger them. :LOL:
Love your avatar. Goes with the post. Ha! Dressing down the slacker who will amount to nothing in life.
I always go with Enterprise Rental Car. They have the nicest rental staff. With a brand new Ascent, I'm not anxious to loan my car when we have extended company. Family too cheap to rent a car when they fly in to visit. So I rent one for them. A standard run-of-the-mill Enterprise car locally will cost me around $165 a week and they deliver it to the house. Much cheaper than the airport rental fees.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premier
46 Posts
I'd have bought a pickup for towing over 3500#s. Two row CUVs with that towing capacity no longer exist. Not sure if the Ascent 3rd row will ever get used by anyone. Haven't been able to convince either dog to go back there.
As we rarely use the third row for humans, it is usually folded down and we put a large and comfy dog bed that takes half of the area, making it for a very happy dog and still plenty of cargo room for daily use.
The kid is more than happy with the captain chair (yes, considering she is 6, calling it a captain chair is the most important part of it).

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
As we rarely use the third row for humans, it is usually folded down and we put a large and comfy dog bed that takes half of the area, making it for a very happy dog and still plenty of cargo room for daily use.
The kid is more than happy with the captain chair (yes, considering she is 6, calling it a captain chair is the most important part of it).
I hope you got her a captain's hat

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,199 Posts
My dogs would prefer that my wife go back there. They stand with their heads on the center console. I'd never get anywhere without their copilot skills.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts