Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could not drive it (it was inside). First impressions :

• Looks very big. I was really surprised. I drive Sienna van and this thing looked bigger. I checked dimensions and it is 3” higher, inch less in width and 4” shorted. But I think so imposing due to height

Very roomy insides. My wife said seems that 3rd row has more leg room than our van. Not sure if true but feels this way.

Since it’s so high, super easy to load using rear gate. No bending required.

I am glad driver seat can be raised really high to see over hood (hood was opened so I could not truly test the view) but I am really glad I got front camera!

Rear plastic looks a bit cheap to me, but I will be putting snow/wet gear, so it’s fine.

Leather on limited did not feel anything special, pretty stiff. Maybe touring leather is better.

I think it’s very practical car and Subaru really nailed target market. Love the 2nd row cap chairs. I can put 4 people and multille pairs of long cross country skiis just fine. In my van I put them on the floor and passenger needs to jump over them.

Did I say car looks huge ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh my ! I hope the size doesn’t discourage me. I found the outback big when I saw it in the showroom. It could be just that ....you saw the ascent in the showroom. Once it’s outdoors hopefully it won’t look so imposing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oh my ! I hope the size doesn’t discourage me. I found the outback big when I saw it in the showroom. It could be just that ....you saw the ascent in the showroom. Once it’s outdoors hopefully it won’t look so imposing.
My current vehicle is a 2012 Honda Pilot, I hated the Tribeca, and this looks bigger from a distance but didn't feel so imposing once we close enough to touch. Definitely a bit roomier than my Pilot, but didn't seem like it was Chevy Traverse or Tahoe huge. I got to check it out earlier this week @ Brilliance Subaru in Elgin, IL

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
My current “go to” outdoor vehicle is a Tundra TRD Pro Crewmax, and it’s 19 ft long and nearly 7.5 ft wide. Size does matter; you learn your limitations. Recently drove an Outback and BMW X3 M40i, and really liked the nimble handling, but the sacrifice comes in terms of how much gear can be stuffed inside.
For everyday fun driving, and general utility, the X3 M40i or OB are great, and the Ascent would be a fine compromise. Our local San Diego dealers won’t have any Ascent’s until 12 June. The Tundra May get a new stablemate.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just checked out a touring in person today. It definitely feels big, but I don’t think the size will discourage you.

Things to be excited about:
- very spacious and the design was done very well; feels way more spacious than the cx9 and even the pilot
- no frills type car where things feel like they’re in the right place (windows, infotainment buttons, mirrors, etc.)
- space between captains chairs were wider than I expected: my 8.5 month pregnant wife was able to get in and out of 3rd row with very little trouble (granted she’s only 5’1 but she’s “very pregnant”); very easy for me to get in and out of 3rd row as well
- back trunk space feels adequate and 3rd row down made it very spacious
- love the seatbelt holder for 2nd & 3rd row seatbelts to keep them out of the way when not in use
- love the back trunk cover and how it’s easily taken in and out of the hiding floor, plus it was very easy to put the cover in place to hide the trunk
- captains chairs very comfortable
- panoramic roof met my high expectations- sure; it doesn’t stretch across to the 3rd row which is what I wanted, but it felt adaquate (something I was concerned about)

Things that disappointed:
- Harmon Larson sound was very lacking, especially for an “upgraded sound system;” it sounded very “stock” to me
- trunk cover had major gaps between 2nd row and where the trunk cover begins, and there are gaps on both sides; extra gaps partially expose what’s in the trunk
- touring leather seats were kind of disappointing... it’s not even nearly as soft and nice as my lexus ct200 seats, so I am bracing for crappier seats for my limited (probably closer to my Chevy volt)

Overall, I’m glad to say I’m even more excited about getting the car. After comparing the car against he pilot, cx9, and atlas, the ascent seemed closest to everything I’m looking for in a 3 row suv. I can live with its “shortcomings” and believe it still offers the best value. Of course, I didn’t get to test drive it.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
My current vehicle is a 2012 Honda Pilot, I hated the Tribeca, and this looks bigger from a distance but didn't feel so imposing once we close enough to touch. Definitely a bit roomier than my Pilot, but didn't seem like it was Chevy Traverse or Tahoe huge. I got to check it out earlier this week @ Brilliance Subaru in Elgin, IL
Interesting. We have an '11 Pilot (with 201,500 miles) and going by the spec sheets, the 2nd gen Pilots are bigger than the Ascent. We love the big boxy look of the Pilot and the massive amount of cargo space.
The 3rd gen Pilot is such a huge disappointment to us. It's now smaller than an Ascent and it's side profile reminds me of a first gen Chevy Traverse! And I personally loath those front seat captains chair armrests.
The mid-cycle refresh on the Pilot is due later this year, but it certainly isn't going to change the size. And while our Pilot is running like a champ, I can't see waiting 2-3 year for a full refresh and hopes it increases in size.

We have a Limited on order for delivery in August. I sure hope we get to properly test drive one other than the day we're supposed to pick it up :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Interesting. We have an '11 Pilot (with 201,500 miles) and going by the spec sheets, the 2nd gen Pilots are bigger than the Ascent. We love the big boxy look of the Pilot and the massive amount of cargo space.
The 3rd gen Pilot is such a huge disappointment to us. It's now smaller than an Ascent and it's side profile reminds me of a first gen Chevy Traverse! And I personally loath those front seat captains chair armrests.
The mid-cycle refresh on the Pilot is due later this year, but it certainly isn't going to change the size. And while our Pilot is running like a champ, I can't see waiting 2-3 year for a full refresh and hopes it increases in size.

We have a Limited on order for delivery in August. I sure hope we get to properly test drive one other than the day we're supposed to pick it up :)
My Pilot exterior is listed 191x79x72 vs the Ascent @ 197x76x72. Pilot is shorter in length but wider overall. I love the space I have in it, but the Ascent seemed more spacious, maybe its the captain's chairs vs 2nd row bench. I have a touring and like it more than new generation for sure, but have always wanted the Subaru driving dynamics. We had a 09 Forester & traded it for an OB for added space with the kids, and would probably not be in the market for the Ascent if the Tribeca had ever been any good. I've got a touring on order for September as my dealer had sold through their initial allotments when I finally found a price I was willing to pull the trigger on to pre order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.