Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my battery to the Odessey AGM battery (already on order) and I want to keep all my settings. I understand there is some type of memory saver that can be attached prior to the battery exchange to save all the settings. Has anyone used this method when they changed their battery and, if so, what did you use?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Which settings are you most concerned with? kpa/psi will revert to kpa. Head unit, seat memory, any other settings that are controllable in the head unit will remain.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
129 Posts
Which settings are you most concerned with? kpa/psi will revert to kpa. Head unit, seat memory, any other settings that are controllable in the head unit will remain.
If a battery/trickle charger was connected to the cable ends, would the system think there was still a battery attached??

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just want to make sure that critical computer settings are saved, e.g. idle control, etc.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
This guy uses a charger to do it.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent
2 Posts
I would suggest using a battery rather than a charger as a power source. See here for why and other related info.

You can get battery saver that plug into the ODB2 port like this one. Clipping something to the battery cable while trying to remove the old battery seems little risky to me.

Someone posted a list of reset items on the Outback forum, not sure if the Ascent is the same but will give you an idea if interested.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
NOCO Boost is GREAT!!!
Yes, I have one in my Ascent now "just in case". I just have to remember to periodically check the charge on it...but that's on me. :)

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Odessey AGM battery arrived today and I hooked up the Norco Boost to my OBD II prior to swapping the batteries and all my settings were saved upon completion of the exchange. I took my jumper cables out the rear storage bin and now keep the Norco Boost there for emergency jumps.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
I have a Tacklife portable charger (Tacklife T8 Max) but have only had to use it twice ... for OTHER people's cars!

One Note: After reading some folks thoughts on here, I moved my Tacklife (it comes in a really convenient case) to under my driver seat. If the battery is completely dead, and unable to disengage the hatch lock, getting to the back to retrieve the portable charger would be a difficult task. At least I can open the doors with the physical key in the fob.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
You might want to use velcro to hold it in place to keep it in place under hard braking.
I have it strapped with two bungees. It's an extremely tight fit, even without the bungees, but you are absolutely correct. If that thing rolled out during braking (or any reason for that matter) and found its way behind the brake pedal ... YIKES! I had that happen once with an empty 20oz drink bottle and it was not fun, but luckily I was able to move it quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts