Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else seen this?

I'll start my Ascent in my garage in the AM. Sometimes, I am able to hear music on the satellite radio, sometimes I am not. AM and FM work fine, but nothing via satellite.

I don't think it is due to a blocked satellite signal in my garage, because this was not a problem for the first 2 months that I owned the Ascent. This only started happening in the last 2-3 weeks. I also know that it is getting SOME kind of signal, because the song/artist information displays and is current.

If I reboot the radio, the satellite radio comes back no problem (although admittedly I haven't tried this IN my garage... maybe thats the next step).

I recently did a factory reset on the radio to see if it solves the "radio stations go missing" problem, but this problem was occurring both before AND after the factory reset.

What I haven't done is to see if there is a correlation between the radio state when I turn off my Ascent, and what happens next time I start it. IE, if I'm listening to Android Auto on my way home, turn it off, unplug my phone, and then turn it on set to satellite. Although, I'm not doing anything differently than I was a month ago, and this problem seems to have just started. Also, this seems like a fairly standard behavior that the radio should be able to handle.

So, has anyone else seen something similar? I'm almost due for my 6k mile oil change and plan on asking my dealer then. Just trying to go in with as much info as possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
927 Posts
When I connect my Android Auto, the Sirius SM stops playing. If I hit the same station again, it will resume playing. It's almost like the Android Auto connection suspends whatever is playing. This too started happening recently. Maybe the radio software got updated to fix something else and caused this issue.

Do you have your car connected to your home wifi and set to do auto-updates? I do.

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's related to Android Auto. It happens almost every time now when I hook my phone up.

Now I'm just in the habit of hitting my station button again after hooking up the phone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone else seen this?

I'll start my Ascent in my garage in the AM. Sometimes, I am able to hear music on the satellite radio, sometimes I am not. AM and FM work fine, but nothing via satellite.

I don't think it is due to a blocked satellite signal in my garage, because this was not a problem for the first 2 months that I owned the Ascent. This only started happening in the last 2-3 weeks. I also know that it is getting SOME kind of signal, because the song/artist information displays and is current.

If I reboot the radio, the satellite radio comes back no problem (although admittedly I haven't tried this IN my garage... maybe thats the next step).

I recently did a factory reset on the radio to see if it solves the "radio stations go missing" problem, but this problem was occurring both before AND after the factory reset.

What I haven't done is to see if there is a correlation between the radio state when I turn off my Ascent, and what happens next time I start it. IE, if I'm listening to Android Auto on my way home, turn it off, unplug my phone, and then turn it on set to satellite. Although, I'm not doing anything differently than I was a month ago, and this problem seems to have just started. Also, this seems like a fairly standard behavior that the radio should be able to handle.

So, has anyone else seen something similar? I'm almost due for my 6k mile oil change and plan on asking my dealer then. Just trying to go in with as much info as possible.

Thanks.
I suspect it IS your garage blocking the signal. Mine nevers works in the garage. Signal strength varies with atmospheric conditions (and even the seasons!). Sometimes the signal is strong enough to penetrate your garage, sometimes not.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,199 Posts
It doesn't matter if I'm listening to AM,FM or SXM. When I pull into the garage the signal goes dead and I get the popup on the display that says no signal. Between the metal overhead garage door and the metal roof house, the signal is definitely blocked. The reverse happens leaving the garage. This does not happen when my Mazda uses the same garage space so it's the antenna or the sensitivity of the head unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts