Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my daughter goes outside to get ready for the school bus today, and wants to grab something from the garage. She turns to me and says, "Why is your window down?". I naturally think she is crazy, but I put on my shoes to go take a look, and sure enough, my drivers side window is all the way down.

The weather here in Western NY is in the low 20s. The last time I drove the car was when bringing my son home from hockey practice last night (same temps). I know, with 100% certainty, that I did not leave my window open when we got home last night.

My first reaction was that something happened, and that the window either shattered, or somehow dropped inside the door. But then I started it up, and had no problem putting the window up and having it stay in place.

Now, this car does some weird stuff (such as the "fuel evaporation leakage check" that happens 4 hours after you turn your car off). I'm not saying that the car did something that caused the drivers window to lower... that would just be wierd... but I know 100% that I did not leave that window down last night. My kids were nowhere near it, and neither was my wife.

So, fellow Ascent owners... save my sanity here. How could that window have gone down? No harm done this time around, but if it happened during a snow or rainstorm and the car was outside, I'd be pretty ticked off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not sure if the key fob has a way to open the windows, but I know there are fobs that do when you hold the unlock button down, or something similar. Someone could have been playing with it, or squished in your pocket maybe, if that was the case.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if the key fob has a way to open the windows, but I know there are fobs that do when you hold the unlock button down, or something similar. Someone could have been playing with it, or squished in your pocket maybe, if that was the case.
Great thought. Seems like a Honda thing, can't find any reference to Subarus (or specifically the Ascent) having the functionality though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Gremlins. I had this happen once (over 15 years) with my Acura Integra. I was stopped a stop sign and my passenger window went down and them back up. Never had a repeat of the incident. :dunno:

·
Registered
668 Posts
My best guess?

That you somehow managed to play a one-in-a-million (OK, I'm just making up the odds! ;)) retained accessory power scenario, @sloheim .

That you somehow managed to shut the engine off and started your typical egress motions, except that you managed to tag the driver's side window-down button just prior to actually opening the door, and that this caused your window to power itself down without your noticing.

So this begs the question:

You'd swear that the window was up when you closed the door. But did you actually TRULY look at it? ;)

Was there a reflection from the garage light that you'd normally see, that you actually saw? Or on the flip side of the equation, maybe you'd just cleaned your vehicle or the windows earlier that day, and the exceptional cleanliness (we all know what road treatments look like on our cars, living in snowier areas!) caused you to literally "miss" the window, visually?

You noted that you'd just gotten home from your son's hockey practice last night - were you task-saturated at the time that you'd closed your vehicle door....and maybe possibly had missed it, because you were somehow distracted? Were you talking with your son at the time? or concerned about a piece of equipment? homework that's not yet finished?

In one of my hobbies, we're constantly being cautioned against "seeing what we want to see" or seeing what we "thought we should see," instead of what's actually there. It's really easy for the human mind to trick itself. In this instance, we're taught to look, look away and then look again, and to then top that off by also feeling/touching to confirm what we think we may have seen. It seems excessive, but with the consequences that would come from a mistake...well, we tend to be a bit over-cautious. :)

I'm wondering if this may have happened to you?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That you somehow managed to shut the engine off and started your typical egress motions, except that you managed to tag the driver's side window-down button just prior to actually opening the door, and that this caused your window to power itself down without your noticing.
I cannot definitively say that this could not have happened. I will try to replicate when I get home tonight. I would think I'd hear the window going down and it would grab my attention, but its worth investigating.

The rest of your scenarios... absolutely not. It was about 20 degrees when I got home. Under absolutely zero circumstances would I have lowered my window intentionally for any reason.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, I'm guessin at some point you accidentally hit the window down button, and the auto-down feature meant the window opened all the way rather than just a tiny bit. If you were distracted and/or there was noise that mighta covered up the window going down I could see not noticing it. Only thing I can think of that would end with your observed result.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts