Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yup just got the same recall!
Why ? I have had 10 recalls on this vehicle! I won’t be buying another New Release from Subaru, again!
They need recall all of the Subaru Ascents 2018-2019!
This Bullshit

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Yup just got the same recall!
Why ? I have had 10 recalls on this vehicle! I won’t be buying another New Release from Subaru, again!
They need recall all of the Subaru Ascents 2018-2019!
This Bullshit
There are five recalls on the 2019 Ascent, not ten, and no investigations.

Currently they are waiting on the replacement part inventory to be in place before starting the repairs (expected late April). I have yet to input my vin to see if I am impacted. Not all vehicles in the build date range are impacted. If you read the NHTSA doc, you would see that it is a narrow scenario that may arise. This is one part of a part of thousands of other parts manufactured by another firm. I for one am amazed that they were able to identify the part issue.
Part suppliers sometimes supply for many differt auto manufacturers (Takata air bag). If you cross out Subaru because of this recall, you may just as well walk to wherever you wish to travel, throw out every other bit of high tech you own and consider herding sheep.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
Umm, 245 vehicles out of 188,000 vehicles in the group have exhibited a problem, and Subaru identified and fixed it and is classifying it as a safety recall in an overabundance of caution, and thus replacing all such pumps on all 188,000 cars free of charge.

This, to me, is a WIN considering the standard seems to be for other auto companies to do NOTHING when it's only 1/10th of a percent of the vehicles with that pump that have exhibited problems. If you look at the actual production runs of the cars during the affected model years, it's about half a million cars.

That means, the actual affected number to date is 0.05%

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a car company that's replacing 188,000 pumps, being up front about what they found, and standing behind their products when five hundredths of a percent of the model year has shown issues, than one that ignores it even when far higher numbers of cars are having problems.

I'll take a car and car company that admits there's a problem, no matter how few cars affected, and fixes it, over the others who pretend there's none, even after catastrophic incidents happen.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Umm, 245 vehicles out of 188,000 vehicles in the group have exhibited a problem, and Subaru identified and fixed it and is classifying it as a safety recall in an overabundance of caution, and thus replacing all such pumps on all 188,000 cars free of charge.

This, to me, is a WIN considering the standard seems to be for other auto companies to do NOTHING when it's only 1/10th of a percent of the vehicles with that pump that have exhibited problems. If you look at the actual production runs of the cars during the affected model years, it's about half a million cars.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather have a car company that's replacing 188,000 pumps, being up front about what they found, and standing behind their products when five hundredths of a percent of the model year has shown issues, than one that ignores it even when far higher numbers of cars are having problems.

I'll take a car and car company that admits there's a problem, no matter how few cars affected, and fixes it, over the others who pretend there's none, even after catastrophic incidents happen.

As is typical Robert, you drill down to the essentials, which is appreciated. Facts are facts. Vehicles ARE going to have parts issues. That is a given. Every car, every year will have something. The difference is whether the auto manufacturer will care to make them public and do something about it. As many of you know, it takes many years to build a great reputation and one stupid response to destroy it for many years into the future. Subaru continues to go above and beyond and to guard that hard one reputation. Kudos to them.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,569 Posts
I agree...200%

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My Ascent falls in the date range, but the NHTSA site is not (yet?) reporting it. Their website says that the recall data was refreshed on April 9th. I would love for my car to not be affected, but I am expecting to be hit with this recall.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
My Ascent falls in the date range, but the NHTSA site is not (yet?) reporting it. Their website says that the recall data was refreshed on April 9th. I would love for my car to not be affected, but I am expecting to be hit with this recall.
I would not sweat it. This is a preemptive voluntary recall impacting a very small percentage of vehicles within the date range. They do not yet have the inventory of parts at the dealerships so just check back next week and then if you are listed, make your appointment. Dealerships these days have a fairly open schedule to make appointments and my local dealership would even pick up the vehicle from my home and bring it back (disinfection included).

·
Registered
869 Posts
So we’re waiting on the parts to be available and then the letters will go out in May or June?
I fall into the build dates listed.Like there’s not enough going on but at least they caught the issue and making it right ??

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
So we’re waiting on the parts to be available and then the letters will go out in May or June?
I fall into the build dates listed.
If your vin is listed on the NHTSA site you need not wait for a letter. Just contact the dealer and they will let you know when they have the part and get your car in.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,569 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know what my next vehicle will be? A Subaru.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
over reaction, much?
to each their own.

to place some of this in perspective:

most of the information I have been able to quickly gather is from some years back which in the auto industry is significant. As technology changes and is incorporated into the vehicles it reminds me of the early adopters in the computer and phone world. The manufacturers who quickly incorporate new technology will inevitably have more challenges than others. In past years Subaru did not have the best recall rate, although far from the bottom and better than average. Readers should also note that this rate includes vehicles counted more than once for separate recalls on the same vehicle. Therefore a manufacturer could have had a very challenged model and year. Consider the fact that much of this research is done over a five year range and that manufacturers rotate their models major changes. One would hope and expect the subsequent years after the new release model will only reduce recalls on that model.

Due to Subaru's recent moves to a global platform and new first year models, we will not find hard data tracking them other than for the last year or two. Prior Subaru years did not reflect well on Subaru due to mostly head gasket issues. Of course Takata hit most manufacturers hard. Subaru certainly has improvements to make in reliability. It appears that a buyer should look at the individual model and appreciate the way that a company handles the issue and trends for both. Subaru it seems worked hard to get the Ascent right but clearly had some challenges coming out of the box. They endeavored to correct all issues with the 2019 model to make it right by their customers and assured their 2020 models incorporated those corrections and then some. The adjustments made to my 2019 Limited worked well to date. I really have no complaints, as I understood each issue (other than one) was not really a design flaw. They may have reached far to refine the performance such that the tolerances for error were lessened and therefore were more abundant. They made adjustments that seem to have worked. Even something annoying, but not significant as the door weatherstripping interfering with opening/closing the doors in a particular sequence. Software adjustments to the cvt associated parts also seem to have worked (cvt itself was fine - I had the Christmas lights on my dash). It sounds as if they finally got most bugs out of the computer/info center (a nemesis of almost every manufacturer). The battery seems to remain an issue, although for those experiencing problems, Subaru is stepping up to replace them under warranty (I have not had a problem to date - 25,000 miles).

We ask a lot of our vehicles, much more than any time in history. Glass in our houses and autos used to be a way to simply bring some light in. Now we want light with privacy, limit dangerous sun rays, protection from dangerous shattering glass, resistance to chipping and cracks while more road debris hits the glass (on pavement and of course off road) and more mileage exposure, sound control and of course control of rain/wind leakage, thermal insulation, all while reducing weight (federal fuel consumption mandates). Oh yes, for us Subaru owners the windshield must also play nice with eyesight. And some wonder why it has to cost so much..?

The OEM tires are meant to be a compromise for all buyers despite each owner's driving habits differing. Subaru attempts to spec out tires that address sound control, comfort, tread wear, handling in standard as well as occasional extreme conditions. Lets be honest, there is no way for the specification to make everyone smile. They are better than wooden wheels with no suspension. Live with them and move on to something you prefer with your replacements that are fine tuned to your driving needs.

I did not like shelling out so much money for a vehicle (I came from a 25 year old vehicle) but in reality I think all that technology came cheap. My suggestion is to enjoy the ride, get out (when they let us -my teenager son still goes out in his 2018 Impreza for 2-3 hour drives just for fun) and enjoy nature, and of course invest into preventative maintenance. Yeah for capitalism and innovation!

What do you do with data from this article on abnormal fire rates?

1 in 6 Cars on the Road is Recalled but Not Fixed article from 2016

Why Are So Many Cars Being Recalled? | Edmunds article from 2017

Cars with the most and fewest recalls article from 2018

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
Not all cars in the date range are affected.

EVERYONE:
This is the easiest way for everyone to check. Cars will show up here before on the NHTSA site even (because it takes a couple days for the NHTSA to process the recall and assign a recall number).

Once one searches, they can bookmark the results page. That page is your own personal page for your VIN, and can be went to at any time to review recalls past and present. For instance, here's my URL...

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
Robert, why is your PVC valve recall incomplete? Is it because it was made from the proper material?
No, because I had to go on a personal family trip during the window when my kit was arriving at the shop and when NY was closed down. I haven't really been worried about it with how few cars have been negatively affected, and haven't had time to schedule something during the pandemic in NY - the current shop hours at my dealership of choice coincide with my work hours.

Normally, I'd bring my tablet and keyboard and work at one of their little work desks in the lounge, but, that's currently not an option, and, the weather here has been so freaky that I can't work on one of their outside benches either. Yesterday was thunderstorms and tornado warnings. ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts