Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to look underneath the rear of the car this afternoon and noticed some funny looking things "growing" on the pipes leading to the mufflers. Is this something to be concerned about? I will keep an eye on it now that I noticed this but thought to ask others to see if anyone else also noticed the same on their cars. I know we had a pretty bad winter and NYC Sanitation loves spreading tons of road salt. Should I try taking a wire brush to it and see if it can be removed? What do all think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
As another “northerner” road salt is the bane of an automobile’s existence. Manufacturers will put mild steel exhausts on vehicles as OEM as they are cheaper so what your looking at is sadly not unexpected. You can always periodically wash your car’s underside through the winter to rinse the salt off, or get an undercoating job done. The exhaust wont be undercoated as it will not survive the temperatures. What I have done to ours is undercoat it myself with FluidFilm but i have a garage and a compressor so aside from time spent is pretty cheap...
If you can’t DYI and you plan to keep your Ascent for a long time, spring for undercoating.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
What year is your Ascent? That looks like a lot of rust for a newer car. My 2010 Forester still has the original exhaust pipes and I live in a salt belt. Its exhaust pipes don't look as bad as that. Usually, Subaru uses stainless steel for its exhausts. Stainless can still rust but not as quickly.

Don't scrape it off, rust itself forms a layer of protection from more rust. You can't paint or undercoat an exhaust pipe so removing existing rust is fruitless.

If it's still under warranty I would have the dealer look at that. I doubt if they would replace it but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year is your Ascent? That looks like a lot of rust for a newer car. My 2010 Forester still has the original exhaust pipes and I live in a salt belt. Its exhaust pipes don't look as bad as that. Usually, Subaru uses stainless steel for its exhausts. Stainless can still rust but not as quickly.

Don't scrape it off, rust itself forms a layer of protection from more rust. You can't paint or undercoat an exhaust pipe so removing existing rust is fruitless.

If it's still under warranty I would have the dealer look at that. I doubt if they would replace it but it's worth a try.
I thought that was a lot also. It's a 2020 with 18k on it. Got it in September 2019. I'll have the dealer look at it but I doubt there is anything they will do. I saw a few guys on YouTube paint their exhaust with high heat rust paint. Wonder if this is worth it trying.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Unless the rust is removed completely it is almost pointless to try to treat it. The best time to undercoat a vehicle is the first day you own it. It seems like you have a lot of corrosion for such a young Subie.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I happened to look underneath the rear of the car this afternoon and noticed some funny looking things "growing" on the pipes leading to the mufflers. Is this something to be concerned about? I will keep an eye on it now that I noticed this but thought to ask others to see if anyone else also noticed the same on their cars. I know we had a pretty bad winter and NYC Sanitation loves spreading tons of road salt. Should I try taking a wire brush to it and see if it can be removed? What do all think?

I do not have any personal experience with this product

·
Registered
223 Posts
I do think this is common, though yours seems a bit excessive. Here is a pic of mine from dec 18 with about 14k miles in Chicagoland, so definitely a lot of salt here. I do try to do an under carriage wash a few times a winter too.

·
Registered
2020 Ice Silver Premium 8 passenger 20,000 mi
9 Posts
I do think this is common, though yours seems a bit excessive. Here is a pic of mine from dec 18 with about 14k miles in Chicagoland, so definitely a lot of salt here. I do try to do an under carriage wash a few times a winter too.

View attachment 11346
Live in Jersey and we had a pile of snow storms this winter. Lots of brine treatments on the roads. My exhaust looks just about like this as well after about 11k mi. Rest of the underside still looks almost new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts