Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my Limited Ascent for only 3 months. Only today when I was cleaning the interior I noticed a rust build up on the front passenger step board area. This should be under warranty. Any of you has the similar issue? Talked to my Sales Rep. and he told me to bring to service and have it check. Just a little disappointment about this. Attached photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wonder if it has to do with location or the salt from transport. I’ll have to check mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The little rust spots are likely caused by rail dust and can be removed with something like Carpro IronX. Is the larger rust spot under the clear coat or on top?

Rail dust rust spots are easily spotted on lighter color vehicles.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I had my Limited Ascent for only 3 months. Only today when I was cleaning the interior I noticed a rust build up on the front passenger step board area. This should be under warranty. Any of you has the similar issue? Talked to my Sales Rep. and he told me to bring to service and have it check. Just a little disappointment about this. Attached photo.
These things are completely submerged into paint for the base coat and all coats in the spray paint process uses electrodeposition for the application of all coats. Meaning they put a charge on the car and a charge on the paint. So they literally can't rust. This is the same process that is used to make a galvanized bucket or galvanized nails.

Your picture looks like caked dust. I'd be curious to see if that big spot was an actual damage point on the car - because that's literally the only way you can get the metal on these things to rust.

Having said that, since you're in Hawaii - I don't know how / what the continuous exposure to salt air will do for that.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Keep us updated plz

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The little rust spots are likely caused by rail dust and can be removed with something like Carpro IronX. Is the larger rust spot under the clear coat or on top?

Rail dust rust spots are easily spotted on lighter color vehicles.

Looks like on top. A mark was also visible on the lower rubber of the door.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These things are completely submerged into paint for the base coat and all coats in the spray paint process uses electrodeposition for the application of all coats. Meaning they put a charge on the car and a charge on the paint. So they literally can't rust. This is the same process that is used to make a galvanized bucket or galvanized nails.

Your picture looks like caked dust. I'd be curious to see if that big spot was an actual damage point on the car - because that's literally the only way you can get the metal on these things to rust.

Having said that, since you're in Hawaii - I don't know how / what the continuous exposure to salt air will do for that.

Thanks for the info. It is just odd if ever salt air here in Hawaii (very common) gotten on that area since that area is enclosed by the front passenger door. I checked on the driver side and I may have seen a tiny dot. I will wait what the dealership has to say when I come for service.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just called Subaru service and they said to just bring in and they will take photo of it and sent for approval for warranty claim. The advisor said, if it is on the surface, it may not be covered and only if it is perforated. So I'm thinking if it will not be on warranty and if it can be remove (not repainting) by a detailing shop where I am planning to have ceramic coating as well. Hawaii sun and rain is just harsh. I'll keep you guys posted for the warranty claim approval. Thanks all!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Looks like rail dust caught under the door gasket and now its rusting.

Ie a iron particle trapped in the paint surface which then rusts. There are simple things similar to a fancy wash job that lifts the iron particles out of the paint. New paint is soft so these particles can sorta get embedded into the top layer of the paint.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks like rail dust caught under the door gasket and now its rusting.

Ie a iron particle trapped in the paint surface which then rusts. There are simple things similar to a fancy wash job that lifts the iron particles out of the paint. New paint is soft so these particles can sorta get embedded into the top layer of the paint.

Yep, per https://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

"What Does Detailing Clay Remove? Your vehicle is under constant assault from airborne pollutants. Brake dust, industrial fallout, acid rain deposits and rail dust all can adhere to your vehicle. These contaminants often contain metal particulates, which accounts for the ease with which they penetrate the clear coat to attack the paint below. These contaminants then oxidize, and they allow rust to spread beneath the clear coat. Tiny orange spots today, total paint system failure tomorrow! Detailing clay removes these contaminants in order to keep the paint healthy and vibrant.

Detailing Clay also removes stubborn sap, tar, and bug remains. Detailing clay works wonder on glass as well. Try some the next time you’re washing your windows. You’ll be amazed at the results!"

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just called Subaru service and they said to just bring in and they will take photo of it and sent for approval for warranty claim. The advisor said, if it is on the surface, it may not be covered and only if it is perforated. So I'm thinking if it will not be on warranty and if it can be remove (not repainting) by a detailing shop where I am planning to have ceramic coating as well. Hawaii sun and rain is just harsh. I'll keep you guys posted for the warranty claim approval. Thanks all!
Rust warranties require perforations (holes) every car brand requires that. Surface rust isn't covered. My suggestion is get some Iron-X. It will turn from clear to purple as it reacts with the iron. Then clay bar that area. See the results after. You will learn to love Iron-X on a white car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, per https://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

"What Does Detailing Clay Remove? Your vehicle is under constant assault from airborne pollutants. Brake dust, industrial fallout, acid rain deposits and rail dust all can adhere to your vehicle. These contaminants often contain metal particulates, which accounts for the ease with which they penetrate the clear coat to attack the paint below. These contaminants then oxidize, and they allow rust to spread beneath the clear coat. Tiny orange spots today, total paint system failure tomorrow! Detailing clay removes these contaminants in order to keep the paint healthy and vibrant.

Detailing Clay also removes stubborn sap, tar, and bug remains. Detailing clay works wonder on glass as well. Try some the next time you’re washing your windows. You’ll be amazed at the results!"
Thank you for the info. Will do that if Subaru dealer here will not approve through warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rust warranties require perforations (holes) every car brand requires that. Surface rust isn't covered. My suggestion is get some Iron-X. It will turn from clear to purple as it reacts with the iron. Then clay bar that area. See the results after. You will learn to love Iron-X on a white car.

Thanks! good to know, will try this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts