Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 10 loooong weeks, my CWP Limited finally arrived. During delivery inspection last week, we noticed several issues to be addressed, including a large fold in the leather on the back of one of our captains chairs (they ended swapping it out completely for a new chair), a loose plastic step into the 3rd row (missing a clip) and most notably, a split in the rubber seal on the passenger side of the liftgate (which we thought could just be reglued).

We left the car with them (now paid with a hefty down payment and financing) for what we thought were minor fixes, expecting to pick it up a week later. But then yesterday our salesperson called to give me the bad news...

Can't fix the seal. They think it could be a manufacturer's defect; their technician says they can't touch it because it's also part of the seal for the back windshield and it doesn't look like it's fixable with glue... and then he then said it's possible that I'll have to get a different car.:crying:ACK!

The manager is calling me tomorrow to discuss the details further. I'm hoping they'll give me a loaner at the very least, as we already sold our '14 Outback and are limping along in my beat up '02 Xterra as our family car (with our preschooler twins). I'm choosing to remain confident that the dealership will do what they can to make it right, but I'm a bit frustrated that I may have to wait another 10-12 weeks for a car I've paid for.

Please let me know if you've seen this same issue in any of your new Ascents and if it was able to be repaired. Mine has a manufactured date of Oct 2018. Thank you forum friends!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So just to follow-up, the seal is not fixable. It's a defect and would require replacing the entire window seal. I learned that when replacing seals like this, due to the strong adhesive used on the windshield glass, that often a seal replacement means replacing the glass too (due to cracks that can happen during the process.)

SOA said that since it technically hasn't failed yet, they won't cover a warranty to replace it. The dealer said they would do a goodwill replacement to make us happy, but then it will no longer be a brand new car, and it'll no longer the the factory built car I paid for... you get the picture. So after much deliberation, we're going to cancel the transaction and walk away from this particular car I've waited since August to get. SO SAD. Someone is going to get a gem now, which the dealer told me they can sell for $5k more than I paid anyway. So dealer is pretty happy at this point, and so will some lucky buyer (as long as they don't notice the defect like we did... or care about it if they do...)

Now deciding what to do next - look for something else or put in a new order and wait until February. Problem is I don't want anything else than a CWP 7 Pass Limited Ascent!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
So just to follow-up, the seal is not fixable. It's a defect and would require replacing the entire window seal. I learned that when replacing seals like this, due to the strong adhesive used on the windshield glass, that often a seal replacement means replacing the glass too (due to cracks that can happen during the process.)

SOA said that since it technically hasn't failed yet, they won't cover a warranty to replace it. The dealer said they would do a goodwill replacement to make us happy, but then it will no longer be a brand new car, and it'll no longer the the factory built car I paid for... you get the picture. So after much deliberation, we're going to cancel the transaction and walk away from this particular car I've waited since August to get. SO SAD. Someone is going to get a gem now, which the dealer told me they can sell for $5k more than I paid anyway. So dealer is pretty happy at this point, and so will some lucky buyer (as long as they don't notice the defect like we did... or care about it if they do...)

Now deciding what to do next - look for something else or put in a new order and wait until February. Problem is I don't want anything else than a CWP 7 Pass Limited Ascent!!
It sounds like they fed you that line about not being a new factory built car so that they could turn around and sell it for $5k more. It should be fine after the repair, and of course it will still be a brand new car. I would let them repair it.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Did *you* call?

Did you call SoA, or did the dealer tell you that's what SoA said?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yep, I spoke to Brad B. at SOA a few times about it, including again this morning. He called the dealership twice, speaking to both the floor manager and the GM. SOA and the dealer agree that it appears to be a one-off manufacturing defect where the internal adhesive failed within the seal. And yet, since it hasn't failed to not stop water/etc, therefore there is no actual need to change it from it's factory built state at this time. And if it does fail in the future, it's covered by warranty anyway.

SOA says they considered our situation, but ultimately believe that there was nothing more SOA would do as they feel that the dealer is being accommodating. The dealer offered to go ahead and fix it (by replace the seal and most likely, replacing windshield glass) for free as a goodwill gesture if we wanted that. And also, the dealer agreed to my request to allow us to purchase a CWP Touring that is already in transit to the dealer, due around Christmas. I figured, what the heck, why not turn this into an upgrade experience so I have something a little extra to look forward to!

So the dealership agreed to give me the same VIP pricing I had (at 2% below invoice) for the Christmas Touring that is on it's way, and while it doesn't have all the same options that we originally purchased for our Limited (trailer hitch plus a few other small items), it'd cut our wait time in half from putting in a fresh order. The GM of dealership would not agree to invoice pricing for the additional/dealer installed options because of the labor costs...

So the increase in pricing on the options not at invoice comes to $300; not a deal breaker for me (but my partner is not enthused we'd lose that savings.) And since the dealership told me they'll be able to sell the CWP Limited for more than $5k what I paid, I'm guessing selling us the Christmas Touring would be a bit of a wash for them, as I'm positive they could probably sell the touring at MSRP or more too.

Anyway, SOA thinks dealership is doing enough between these 2 goodwill gesture options, plus we also have a $500 OLI too, which SOA would not increase when I made that request to them....

I hated to walk away from that CWP Limited, but my partner was not having any car that already had a designated defect that was very visible there was something wrong, and would eventually have to be addressed assuming it would continue to split. Would have drove him nuts, who in turn would drive me nuts... you get the picture.

So perhaps I'll end up with a Christmas Touring (if it's not sold already...!)

·
Registered
96 Posts
...my partner was not having any car that already had a designated defect that was very visible there was something wrong, and would eventually have to be addressed assuming it would continue to split. Would have drove him nuts, who in turn would drive me nuts... you get the picture. ..
Would have drove me nuts too. Every time I opened the lift gate and saw the obvious defect, I'd curse inwardly and spit.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Yep, I spoke to Brad B. at SOA a few times about it, including again this morning. He called the dealership twice, speaking to both the floor manager and the GM. SOA and the dealer agree that it appears to be a one-off manufacturing defect where the internal adhesive failed within the seal. And yet, since it hasn't failed to not stop water/etc, therefore there is no actual need to change it from it's factory built state at this time. And if it does fail in the future, it's covered by warranty anyway...
That's sad. Sorry to hear that.

So perhaps I'll end up with a Christmas Touring (if it's not sold already...!)
Get touring! You will love front camera and smart mirror.
I will say that I am so very glad I got the Touring instead of another trim. I love that mirror and the front cam is indispensable, as is the seat coolers. But, not everyone has the same wants and needs as me.

·
Registered
118 Posts

I will say that I am so very glad I got the Touring instead of another trim. I love that mirror and the front cam is indispensable, as is the seat coolers. But, not everyone has the same wants and needs as me.

We would have purchased a Touring, except my wife, who the vehicle is for, could not stand the color of the interior. We ended up purchasing a limited on a tight timeline to replace a totaled vehicle and she has been very happy with it so far. We were able to get all the options she really wanted along with preferred exterior and interior color choices so it worked out.

If the OP doesn't have an urgent need for the vehicle on a timeline, I could see walking away from it too. There is no reason to accept something that wasn't to the purchaser's standards when making such a large purchase, especially when there is no need to rush. I've accepted things that were less than optimal before just to get something done, and usually ended up regretting it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just want to point out this is an example where SoA isn't taking care of their customer and product. The excuses given by SoA in this case are reminescent of experiences I have had with American brands. It is only by the good graces of the dealership that the customer is being accommodated -- but also very inconvenienced since they have to wait for another car now.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Just from what I've collected from various threads on issue, it appears that the issues (like the OP's) only manifested from ordered purchases, and may be not be cars bought from the lot. I assume that the difference is the non-existence of delivery inspection when ordered, so-to-speak. If everybody buys them from the lot, buyers don't even consider the delivery inspection was conducted or not, it's very likely that we won't see these types of reports.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I assume that the difference is the non-existence of delivery inspection when ordered, so-to-speak. If everybody buys them from the lot, buyers don't even consider the delivery inspection was conducted or not, it's very likely that we won't see these types of reports.
The PDI is supposed to be done, regardless of whether it's an ordered unit or an in-stock unit.

Since the dealership offered to cover the replacement - I would have just done that, and let them (the dealership and SOA) argue about who was paying for it. If SOA was covering it, the dealership would have still done the work.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yep, I spoke to Brad B. at SOA a few times about it, including again this morning. He called the dealership twice, speaking to both the floor manager and the GM. SOA and the dealer agree that it appears to be a one-off manufacturing defect where the internal adhesive failed within the seal. And yet, since it hasn't failed to not stop water/etc, therefore there is no actual need to change it from it's factory built state at this time. And if it does fail in the future, it's covered by warranty anyway.
I would mention that you're going to be paying more because of the end game here, and I would call corporate again and maybe ask them to give you $500, $1000, etc., Subaru Bucks that you can use to pay towards maintenance expenses in the future. Since you're VIP pricing you can't combine that with other discounts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies. Seriously, even a little support from strangers on this helps... because I know you all GET IT.

We have decided to buy the Christmas Touring (has a nice ring to it, yes?), so a little more cost but we'll both be happy with the upgrade I think! (I'm very excited about the smart review mirror and front camera. Not a fan of the crazy color clash combo of the brown with the ivory inserts (WHY?!), but I'm sure it'll grow on me/I'll become blind to clash. (I hope.) Hate having to wait all over again, but good things come to those who wait?! Jeez, I sure hope so.

Since the dealership offered to cover the replacement - I would have just done that, and let them (the dealership and SOA) argue about who was paying for it. If SOA was covering it, the dealership would have still done the work.

I was willing to do this, but my partner was indignant over the idea that we'd no longer have a 100% factory built brand new car from day one. As another poster alluded to, I'd be dodging spit every time he walked past the seal (which is at eye level of course.) And if there were future issues with it after being replaced, I'd NEVER hear the end of it. So I gotta keep the process moving & find a solution here, because my '02 Xterra has less than 25% left on the ball joints and I don't want to spend money on that since it's getting sold once we have our new Subie.

I would mention that you're going to be paying more because of the end game here, and I would call corporate again and maybe ask them to give you $500, $1000, etc., Subaru Bucks that you can use to pay towards maintenance expenses in the future. Since you're VIP pricing you can't combine that with other discounts.

I didn't know about Subaru bucks!! I'll call SOA again to speak with someone else hopefully more helpful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.