Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going at a speed of any where from 25-40 mph, on a steep and long incline, and a steady throttle, I'll see my rpms start to surge as if I'm almost accelerating. I'll let off the throttle a little to get the rpms down, but the rpms will continue to race even higher until I all but let off the throttle completely. Hard to explain if you've never experienced it, but it kinda reminds me of being in a car with somebody that doesn't know how to drive a stick on a hill. Instead of choosing the right gear, just letting the car sit in one gear and having the vehicle surge or bog. Driving on hills or even steep inclines at speeds over 40 mph isn't an issue, it's just this very specific instance. If you live in a hilly city (Seattle, San Fran) or have to drive up steep inclines at moderate speeds, you might have experienced the same.

I think I want to blame the fake shifting, but I don't know for sure. (The fake shifting has got to go) I'm coming from a 2015 Forester and I have zero complaints with that CVT after 75k miles, so I'm not blaming the CVT. It's also not an engine warming up, high rpm issue. It will happen all the time, regardless of engine temps.

Has anybody had this issue and had it corrected? I took it in a few months ago, but tech said everything was up to date with the ECM.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
That's normal. There are a bunch of threads on this. The Ascent fully manages engine RPMs and CVT ratios to maximize fuel efficiency and power delivery. It just feels weird.

I agree about the faux shifting. Not a fan. Make sure you email Subaru and let them know.

·
Registered
919 Posts
That's normal. There are a bunch of threads on this. The Ascent fully manages engine RPMs and CVT ratios to maximize fuel efficiency and power delivery. It just feels weird.

I agree about the faux shifting. Not a fan. Make sure you email Subaru and let them know.
Been meaning to email them for.... well forever. Finally did!

Come on Subaru, give us a flash option at the dealer!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Going at a speed of any where from 25-40 mph, on a steep and long incline, and a steady throttle, I'll see my rpms start to surge as if I'm almost accelerating. I'll let off the throttle a little to get the rpms down, but the rpms will continue to race even higher until I all but let off the throttle completely. Hard to explain if you've never experienced it, but it kinda reminds me of being in a car with somebody that doesn't know how to drive a stick on a hill. Instead of choosing the right gear, just letting the car sit in one gear and having the vehicle surge or bog. Driving on hills or even steep inclines at speeds over 40 mph isn't an issue, it's just this very specific instance. If you live in a hilly city (Seattle, San Fran) or have to drive up steep inclines at moderate speeds, you might have experienced the same.

I think I want to blame the fake shifting, but I don't know for sure. (The fake shifting has got to go) I'm coming from a 2015 Forester and I have zero complaints with that CVT after 75k miles, so I'm not blaming the CVT. It's also not an engine warming up, high rpm issue. It will happen all the time, regardless of engine temps.

Has anybody had this issue and had it corrected? I took it in a few months ago, but tech said everything was up to date with the ECM.
The CVT does put it in the most efficient powerband for the load it is encountering (if you ingore when it goes into fake shifting mode). It sounds weird, but it actually works well. When I have my Torque app showing data I can see engine load and fuel usage. It makes sense when you see the data.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I went through the other threads and felt like they were talking about different CVT issues, but maybe not. Sitting at 3500 rpms while crawling along at 20 mph just feels awful.

Personally, I think the Ascent is an engineering masterpiece....with exception of the fake shifting (which the engineers probably didn't even enjoy implementing).

I emailed [email protected]. Is that the best email for us to use? I feel like this sorta thing just falls on deaf ears and we'll never see any sort of change.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I emailed [email protected]. Is that the best email for us to use? I feel like this sorta thing just falls on deaf ears and we'll never see any sort of change.
There's a form on the website contact page that you can use which goes to the correct email. It's not that one.

And, don't worry, they listen. When people complained about the early Gen 4 Outback headlights, they revised the design making them easier to change, and extended the bulb warranty to 10 years unlimited miles. Who warrants a headlight bulb?!? ??

·
Registered
919 Posts
Oh yeah..... I remember changing those headlight bulbs. I switched to LED so I didn't have to take the wheel off and remove the fender lining to change the light bulb any more!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 7 of 7 Posts