Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First time Subaru owner, so I do have a couple of odd questions; which in part make me feel a bit n00b-ish but oh well.

First thing, I say "rough" idle in the sense that it feels like there is something wrong and when I'm outside the car it sounds like there is a knock or something; it really could be a Subaru thing and i'm just over-reacting and I have nothing to worry about.

Secondly when accelerating it feels like it's chugging along (about 60% throttle, keeping it under 4k rpm) is this normal for a car with a CVT and a turbo? My only experience with a CVT is that from a 2017 Corolla iM from a previous job.

Thanks all!

Happy driving!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Based on what you are describing that does not sound right. The idle should not sound like any knock. Acceleration feel is subjective though.
Though if it were really knock and you could hear it and feel it the SES light should be on.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on what you are describing that does not sound right. The idle should not sound like any knock. Acceleration feel is subjective though.
Though if it were really knock and you could hear it and feel it the SES light should be on.
No sort of alerts or anything that I can see or report from MySubaru. I really could be describing this wrong. but when you stand in front of your car turned on, does it sound "normal" ? Im at work and took the train, but if someone could go out to their Ascent and take a video of their car from the outside by the hood that'd be great.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi all,

First time Subaru owner, so I do have a couple of odd questions; which in part make me feel a bit n00b-ish but oh well.

First thing, I say "rough" idle in the sense that it feels like there is something wrong and when I'm outside the car it sounds like there is a knock or something; it really could be a Subaru thing and i'm just over-reacting and I have nothing to worry about.

Secondly when accelerating it feels like it's chugging along (about 60% throttle, keeping it under 4k rpm) is this normal for a car with a CVT and a turbo? My only experience with a CVT is that from a 2017 Corolla iM from a previous job.

Thanks all!

Happy driving!
The "chugging along" could be the fake shift points. I noticed the first few times I accelerated briskly that it would induce the fake shift points which have an exaggerated feel to me. These shifts interrupt all of that beautiful torque from being delivered smoothly. It can be described as jerky, IMO.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks @rockthebeef that helps a ton! Now just to isolate the idle issue I may be having

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Doesn't sound right. I can do a video later. Can you, so we can compare?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
260 Posts
The boxer engine has a unique sound that's a little different than your more typical inline-4; there's a chance that may be the difference. Looking forward to seeing those videos!

·
Registered
646 Posts
The boxer engine has a unique sound that's a little different than your more typical inline-4; there's a chance that may be the difference. Looking forward to seeing those videos!
Agree, If your not familiar with the boxer engine you will notice this. 15 years ago the sound was very pronounced but Subaru have made huge strides in engine NVH over the years. I believe the rumble had something to do with the exhuast manifold design

·
Registered
646 Posts
No sort of alerts or anything that I can see or report from MySubaru. I really could be describing this wrong. but when you stand in front of your car turned on, does it sound "normal" ? Im at work and took the train, but if someone could go out to their Ascent and take a video of their car from the outside by the hood that'd be great.
Others have basically answered and if they don't come through with a video I can grab one later. I've had a subaru since forever and may not even think of it as odd. Plus had older GM loopy idle hot rods before that and didn't really notice the boxer rumble much :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Reactions: Freddo80

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
? at first I thought there was some animal crawling in front of the Ascent. Off topic... but cute anyway

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
? at first I thought there was some animal crawling in front of the Ascent. Off topic... but cute anyway
He might as well be! Little turkey gets into everything!

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Sounds like a boxer engine (the scratchy growl/rumble) and the CVT pumping up the hydraulic pulleys (the whine coming from the car). That's pretty much how mine sounds from the outside as well.

Even well muffled/sound deadened Subarus have a distinct set of Subaru sounds. ;)

I had to rush from one job to another last night, but I will go out and make a vid of mine shortly.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im either used to the sound of a 2006 WRX STI that a friend had with catless exhaust and like 3" all the way back with the rumble or the occasional clapped out 90's subies that are at 300k miles and need to be taken out back and crushed so it's a all a bit new for me!

I knew of the high idle from the first one is normal (getting the heat in the right places) so I wasn't too worried, but thought I should include it regardless.

It was the 2nd one that had me a tad worried, but from the sounds (HA) of it, I may be crazy after all! I look forward to your vid for peace of mind

·
Registered
304 Posts
Im either used to the sound of a 2006 WRX STI that a friend had with catless exhaust and like 3" all the way back with the rumble or the occasional clapped out 90's subies that are at 300k miles and need to be taken out back and crushed so it's a all a bit new for me!
The 06 STI also (most likely) had an unequal length exhaust manifold that causes the burble. Not too many people want to pay 1000 bucks for a a set of equal length headers that kills the rumble. My 11 STI sounded quite different. (skip forward as the first few minutes are spent warming everything up) Yes, the bumper is loose (had an incident that day with a sand pit) and my fog light harness is flapping around because we put brake ducts in place of the lamps.

But Subarus, in general, have some quirky sounds (and quirks in general). Doesn't sound like anything abnormal to me.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks all!

Happy driving!
You're welcome to stop by and drive our demo model to compare the two. I know that one is driving normal. You can compare it to your car and decide what to do from there.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're welcome to stop by and drive our demo model to compare the two. I know that one is driving normal. You can compare it to your car and decide what to do from there.
VERY tempting!

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Here's my Ascent starting up and idling for a minute...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts