Subaru Ascent Forum banner
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bsowhat, you do know that your pads are still under warranty with Subaru and the TSB might even cover the rotors, depending on the situation...
How do you recommend approaching the dealer with that request?
I am now at 52k on a 2019 model that was almost first off the line.
It seems at this point I would be due for replacement of brakes under any circumstances.
Any tips on how to convince them would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited 2021 Forester Premium
127 Posts
How do you recommend approaching the dealer with that request?
I am now at 52k on a 2019 model that was almost first off the line.
It seems at this point I would be due for replacement of brakes under any circumstances.
Any tips on how to convince them would be appreciated.
View this as an opportunity to put some better components on. Buy the Power Stop kit and either install it yourself or have someone install it for you. You won't regret it.

DON"T go to Brakes Plus or similar, IMO.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited 2021 Forester Premium
127 Posts
I have done my own rotors and pads many times on past vehicles.
What is the best after market kit?
Power Stop is the best bang for the buck, IMO. Others here agree.

Frequently available for less at Summit Racing, as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm at the dealership right now with my 2019 Ascent 38k. I was told I need new brake pads AND rotors - because they ALWAYS change rotors along with brake pads. I questioned the rep repeatedly, but he wouldn't budge. They're going to charge me almost $600 for rear (I live near NYC, everything is expensive here). Any truth to this or am I being scammed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
They might always do it. So that might be true.
It is not required (my opinion) rotors can be machined multiple times before replacing (my opinion).
$600 for a set at the dealership sounds right. They are typically $$$.
If you can’t do it yourself, you could find local shop shop that might be more reasonable and lower labor and parts cost. Ask a friend for a reference.
If your philosophy is to stick with Subaru repair shops and dealer parts. It is what it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm at the dealership right now with my 2019 Ascent 38k. I was told I need new brake pads AND rotors - because they ALWAYS change rotors along with brake pads. I questioned the rep repeatedly, but he wouldn't budge. They're going to charge me almost $600 for rear (I live near NYC, everything is expensive here). Any truth to this or am I being scammed?

They might always do it. So that might be true.
It is not required (my opinion) rotors can be machined multiple times before replacing (my opinion).
$600 for a set at the dealership sounds right. They are typically $$$.
If you can’t do it yourself, you could find local shop shop that might be more reasonable and lower labor and parts cost. Ask a friend for a reference.
If your philosophy is to stick with Subaru repair shops and dealer parts. It is what it is.

For reference:
If you purchased your own parts from say Napa.
Rotors: $70-$100 each
Pads: $30-70 a set.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Touring 2019
207 Posts
My 2019 Touring have 26000 miles. Last Friday dealer in Jersey City replaced front rotors only and this is as good gesture according to them. I said pads should be change as well but they said Subaru approves rotors only. I didn't pay anything. Since I have the car brakes were worked on 3 times. This is joke. That alone makes me rethink how long I want to keep the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rotors warping from heat is extremely rare as only in race applications rare. The “pulsing” feeling is from an uneven application of brake material on the rotor surface. Properly “bedding” the brakes when new is of utmost importance. Normal “bedding” is done by controlled braking cycles from various speeds to apply brake material to the rotor in an even application. The problem is once a rotor is bedded improperly it’s hard to remove brake pad material and start over. If the pads are faulty that could also contribute to an uneven application of pad material.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
If you haven't done it already, visit @Liberty Subaru across the river.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
77 Posts
Just came back from my first service at 2580 miles and complained about brake pulsation, they replaced both pads and rotors, new pads are version D, not sure which I had as new. From the receipt: The tech felt brake pulsation at 45mph and got worse as brakes got wormer, tech found tsb 06-78-20r. The tech proceeded and performed brake inspection on front with runout inspection and rotor measurements. as per bulletin and vehicle brake specs tech deemed brakes out of specs. tech replaced rotors due to excessive hot spots that are darker then normal and measurements, tech also replaced front brake pads with updated part # 26296XC00D.

Happy they installed brand new pads are rotors, not very happy pulsating started couple weeks of buying the vehicle and at around 1100 miles.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts