Subaru Ascent Forum banner
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Don't forget that the 1,000 mile break in is restarted.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,242 Posts
What is the break in process for brakes?
You need to do the same breakin as you did for the new vehicle...driving responsibly, operating the brakes normally without stomping on them (accident avoidance excepted, obviously) and without doing things like towing heavy loads, etc., for 1000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 21k miles on my 2019 Subaru Ascent. So far, I have had to replace the rotors TWICE. I feel this is a design flaw and I can't continue to replace rotors for the remainder of the life of the vehicle. Subaru needs to acknowledge that there is an inherent design flaw with this model vehicle (loaner Ascent vehicles that I have had also have this problem). Since Subaru has not acknowledged this issue, I feel like taking my losses for the past year and getting a completely different vehicle (which will not be a Subaru!) Please keep in mind the rotors and pads were completely replaced at 9k miles. I am now at 21k with severe vibration and do not feel my car is safe to drive. The rotors are warping due to excessive heat and need to be completely recalled and redesigned.
Totally agree with you. I am in the midst of an email exchange with a representative from Subaru - offering a $500 coupon as compensation. I have a 2020 Ascent - with 14k miles and the vehicle has been to the shop twice for 1 rear rotor replace and once for front rotor resurface. Now we have a lot of braking noise, just waiting for the pulse/vibration to start again.

Subaru really needs to acknowledge that this is a problem that is NOT going to go away.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Subaru really needs to acknowledge that this is a problem that is NOT going to go away.
Agreed! We need a recall or something. Getting 8K-10K miles out of a set of brakes is absolutely unacceptable.
My ‘14 Forester XT had 58K on it when I finally replaced the brakes and I could’ve gone another 10K easily. The dealer in fact said I could wait and I did them anyway.

This is nonsense and is such a systemic issue with the Ascents, Subaru needs a redesign + recall.

Brakes are one thing that needs to be 100% straight on any vehicle.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Why would you make such an unsupported, unsubstantiated claim? At what time frame did you have yours replaced, and what steps did the dealership use to install the replacements?

At 21K, I had my rotors turned, and the pads re-installed per the new method, and they have been fine for the last 23,000 more miles (I am about to break 45,000 miles).

The stock rotors stopped this big beast behind my Ascent when I forgot to plug in the brake controller.
View attachment 2247
Damn dude, your heavy duty. That's some weight right there. Good 4 U Robert.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. I have a 2019 Touring.

I have a question for all the folks that have done multiple replacements.

First my background:
It started having the gringing/pulsing/vibrating starting in less than 10,000. We mentioned it to the dealer a couple times and they kinda brushed it off. I never really pushed the issue because it only really has that feel at higher speed heavy braking and honestly I just started ignoring it.
I have 55k miles on those original brakes now and they still have life but they sure are noisy.
I just went in to get my noisy seat fan motor changed and asked the tech to turn the rotors and install the newest brake pads. I did this because the loaner Ascent shocked me in how smooth the brakes performed. It has less than 100 miles.

Question:
When folks need to replace after say 10k miles, it it because the materials are physically worn down, as if they have 60k miles of wear? Or is it because the vibration is so bad or warping is too much that they just install new parts?

I tolerated the annoying feel of the brakes but they have worked fine for 55k and are still going.

Challenge Quesiton:
Is there any chance this is front suspension geometry problem? What if under braking load, one or more of the ball joints / pivots become ‘neutrally’ loaded and rattles in place causing a shake similar to warped rotors? Possible right?
(If the idea of neutrally loaded needs explaining, imagine balancing your cell phone on end with your two fingers at the top and opening your fingers slightly shaking the phone to allow it to bounce between your fingers, you can try it right now, interesting eh?)

Thanks for all the information here! These forums are awesome for learning and sharing. I am excited to finally learn what is causing this issue.

-Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agreed! We need a recall or something. Getting 8K-10K miles out of a set of brakes is absolutely unacceptable.
My ‘14 Forester XT had 58K on it when I finally replaced the brakes and I could’ve gone another 10K easily. The dealer in fact said I could wait and I did them anyway.

This is nonsense and is such a systemic issue with the Ascents, Subaru needs a redesign + recall.

Brakes are one thing that needs to be 100% straight on any vehicle.
I have the exact issue with my rotors, the breaks keep vibrating and didn't want to stop whenever my car down hill with no passenger or towing.
The Subaru dealer changed out my rotors and pad recently which has been driven less then 6k and the vibration is back again.
This is the second set of rotors and brakes on my car and they care now saying is my bad driving habits and heavy breaking.
I've had my Acura MDX for 18 years and never had to deal with vibration on brakes driving down hill.
The brakes seem fine when is on flat road, but once is heading downhill then it starts to vibrate and not wanting to stop.
Subaru dealer refuse to replace my rotors again because they say the last set of rotors they replace have been tested to fix the issue.
But if the issue was fix, then why would the vibration come back again when braking during downhill drive.
This is so unacceptable as so many ppl are having the same issue on their brakes with the Ascent.
I do feel this is a design flaw and their should be a recall to fix problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
@EK003 sorry to hear you're having brake issues. Sadly your description sounds like what mine did, though I only made it to rev B before I gave up and went with aftermarket rotors and pads; they've been smooth as butter since.

As far as the not wanting to stop whenever your car is going downhill, without trying to sound judgemental because this is just my experience, I think the brakes will stop just fine going downhill. However, with the vibration it made me mentally not want to hear it or have someone in the car feel it, so I didn't hit the brakes as hard.
I had to demonstrate the brake problem to a couple different dealers a couple times. Each time involved a ride along with me driving on the freeway and approaching an offramp at high speed. I warned the tech/advisor riding along I was going to brake hard on the offramp, so I did. I had no trouble coming to a stop since my intention was to actually cause the vibration, not hide it.
You're your best advocate and you can always contact SOA and let them know you're having trouble getting this resolved. Sometimes that little extra motivation makes things happen with the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
Which aftermarket brand did you use? How long have you had them on your car? Looking into going that route also at some point.
I chose R1 Concepts eLINE cross drilled front rotors with their Optimum OEp pads. I didn't touch the rear yet. I've had them installed for about 6 months and 5000miles so far.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited 2021 Forester Premium
127 Posts
I just had the rotors and pads replaced under warranty. Warped rotors and cracked pads.
5800 miles on the odometer.

As soon as this Ascent is out of warranty, I am going aftermarket for pads and rotors. I had warped rotors, cracked pads and AWFUL stopping distance issues with my F250. The factory installed brakes (and subsequent warranty replacement "updates") were cr*p.

A post-warranty self-installed performance brake kit (rotors and pads front and rear) solved the problem.

Remember kids: Manufacturer's OEM suppliers are almost always the lowest bidders. My WAG is these rotors and pads are being made from Chinesium alloy.

YMMV.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,436 Posts
I just had the rotors and pads replaced under warranty. Warped rotors and cracked pads.

As soon as this Ascent is out of warranty, I am going aftermarket for pads and rotors. I had warped rotors, cracked pads and AWFUL stopping distance issues with my F250. The factory installed brakes (and subsequent warranty replacement "updates") were cr*p.

A post-warranty self-installed performance brake kit (rotors and pads front and rear) solved the problem.

Remember kids: Manufacturer's OEM suppliers are almost always the lowest bidders. My WAG is these rotors and pads are being made from Chinesium alloy.

YMMV.
If this rotor and pad issue becomes more widespread, subaru may need to approachthis the same way they are with 2019 battery issue. That is to reimburse after market product. I just do not know how widespread it is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Which aftermarket brand did you use? How long have you had them on your car? Looking into going that route also at some point.
I used PowerStop Z36 rotors and pads on my F250 and Z23 on the Honda Pilot. Had them on for over two years and 15K on the Ford, 32K on the Honda. The Ford weighed just under 7000 lbs. and the PowerStops cut my stopping distance by 70%.
The Z23s will be my choice for the Ascent when the time comes.

When I consider the lost time and vehicle use for dealer visits related to this, I'd probably come out ahead to just get the kit and install it come Spring.

·
Registered
372 Posts

YMMV.
Was it all 4 rotors that were warped? I am 99% certain my rears are warped, but the one time I took it to the dealer they said they could not replicate it. Fronts squeak intermittently, but it's not as annoying as feeling (and hearing) vibration when braking - especially on long road trips. My Ascent is a 2021 with 2020 build date.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Was it all 4 rotors that were warped? I am 99% certain my rears are warped, but the one time I took it to the dealer they said they could not replicate it. Fronts squeak intermittently, but it's not as annoying as feeling (and hearing) vibration when braking - especially on long road trips. My Ascent is a 2021 with 2020 build date.
Sorry. I should have been more exact. Front brake rotors and pads were replaced. Rears were deemed OK.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited Technology Package
51 Posts
My front rotors vibrate with high speed or downhill stops. I'm at 24k miles. I ordered aftermarket rotors and pads to swap the fronts. I am of the opinion that turning rotors just sets you up for accelerated warping since the rotors are thinner after being turned. I also do not want to hassle with OEM rotors that will just warp again.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,242 Posts
Bsowhat, you do know that your pads are still under warranty with Subaru and the TSB might even cover the rotors, depending on the situation...

81 - 100 of 124 Posts