Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Where is the text of that TSB? I'm not seeing on the NHTSA site. Maybe it just hasn't gotten there yet?
Correct. It should show up in the next couple of weeks on NHTSA.

This Bulletin announces availability of new front brake pad kit established to address concerns of a​
squeaking sound heard when stopping. Strong pressure on the outside brake pad causes a stick / slip​
condition which can create the condition. When the brake pads and rotor are both new, the brake​
friction is uneven and varies between the pads and the rotor. Under this condition, a contact vibration
occurs at the edge of the brake pads, resulting in the squeak sound. A chamfer has been added to the​
edges of the front brake pads shown in red on the illustration below. The pad kit includes a packet​
of special brake grease developed to work in conjunction with these new pads to prevent the contact
vibration and resulting squeak sound.​
The basic service procedure for replacing the front brake pads remains unchanged although for this
special brake pad kit, it is CRITICAL the special lubrication procedure provided below be followed
closely to achieve the desired results. Always refer to the applicable Service Manual and review...
(snip)​
...​
CRITICAL Lubrication Grease Application Procedure:
(snip - procedures follow here)

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
“When the brake pads and rotor are both new”

what do they consider ‘new’?
Also curious about this chamfer. My front pads and rotors were replaced late last year and I’m pretty sure the vibration is coming back. Haven’t driven enough to be sure

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
“When the brake pads and rotor are both new”

what do they consider ‘new’?
Also curious about this chamfer. My front pads and rotors were replaced late last year and I’m pretty sure the vibration is coming back. Haven’t driven enough to be sure
Slightly tapered corners so it doesn't pusle grab/skip.

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
Slightly tapered corners so it doesn't pusle grab/skip.
I can’t vouch for my original pads but my current pads have tapered corners. Doesn’t seem to help. The rear pads don’t have the tapered edges and I think they’re doing the same thing as the front just to a lesser degree.
I’m glad I got an extended warranty so I’m in no rush to have it checked before 36k mi.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
redesigned pads are 26296XC00C

I'd let your dealership know you're still having the problems, and suggest you heard the pads were just redesigned to resolve it, and announced in a brand new TSB that just came out. They (as with "all things warranty") will have to replicate the complaint, of course. But, hopefully, you'll be squared away in good time.

up

Part number is 26296XC00B

·
Registered
26 Posts
redesigned pads are 26296XC00C

I'd let your dealership know you're still having the problems, and suggest you heard the pads were just redesigned to resolve it, and announced in a brand new TSB that just came out. They (as with "all things warranty") will have to replicate the complaint, of course. But, hopefully, you'll be squared away in good time.

View attachment 5107

Grrrr just had the car in last week. I guess I'll wait another 10k miles to have the issue again so they can replicate. My wife is going to kill me for her brakes not being "safe" as we have never had an issue like this and having to take the vehicle in so many times. Now before anyone comes @ me about the safety let it be known that I completely understand the issue but I will never be able to convince my significant other to the contrary if/when this happens again as this is her primary vehicle. I don't mind going in to the dealer myself because service is always awesome and I get a great loaner but the time to get there before/after work and juggling work schedules is just an added complication to the current reality we live in.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Grrrr just had the car in last week. I guess I'll wait another 10k miles to have the issue again so they can replicate. My wife is going to kill me for her brakes not being "safe" as we have never had an issue like this and having to take the vehicle in so many times. Now before anyone comes @ me about the safety let it be known that I completely understand the issue but I will never be able to convince my significant other to the contrary if/when this happens again as this is her primary vehicle. I don't mind going in to the dealer myself because service is always awesome and I get a great loaner but the time to get there before/after work and juggling work schedules is just an added complication to the current reality we live in.
Good news is that it's possible your current set will break in differently and not do that.

Many people never experience the issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
@Robert.Mauro they used the B version front pads when mine were done in dec. I’m not rushing but I’ll try to get them to put in C version pads at my first opportunity.
Do you know if the rotors have changed? 26300xc00A are the ones they put on mine.

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Rotors are the same. And, don't go run and change your pads unless you're having vibration/screeching issues. Most pads seem to have worn in properly, if the various forums are any indication. I'm on Revision B, and mine are fine still.

@Robert.Mauro they used the B version front pads when mine were done in dec. I’m not rushing but I’ll try to get them to put in C version pads at my first opportunity.
Do you know if the rotors have changed? 26300xc00A are the ones they put on mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had to have the front and rear pads and rotors replaced at 9800 miles on my 2019 Ascent. I am back again to have the front rotors and pads replaced. Service department is great but it is still frustrating to have to deal with this issue. Do we know if they are making an upgrade yet to the old pads/rotors?

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
I had to have the front and rear pads and rotors replaced at 9800 miles on my 2019 Ascent. I am back again to have the front rotors and pads replaced. Service department is great but it is still frustrating to have to deal with this issue. Do we know if they are making an upgrade yet to the old pads/rotors?
When was the first time, and by "back again", do you mean, right now, or some time in the near past? New front brake pads came out in late August.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I had a pretty significant vibration around 7-8k miles that went away, but then I started getting some mild grinding at ~11-12k, they replaced the rotors under warranty and it's been good since. I'd have to look at the receipt to see exactly what they did regarding brake pads, etc, But I had this done early summer so I don't have revised pads.
I don't think the brakes are undersized (this isn't a performance car, after all), but I've never had them replaced this early in a car ever.
when I worked at Firestone during my college years, I remember cars coming in quite frequently with less than 10k miles that needed all new brakes, so as a wear item, I'm not as disappointed if they go early..

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I’m at the dealer today for my 2 year service, though not the full 2 year “recommended” service since I’m only at just over 9k miles on my 2019. Working remotely the past year has saved me some serious mileage. I think I put less than 500 miles on since the last service six months ago.

Anyway, the service department also just verified that my brakes have the TSB issue (vibration when braking at highway speeds) and will be replacing the pads and machining the rotors. Add in the rear wheels being out of alignment and my 39 minute oil change just became a ~3 hour wait.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sad to report our replacement rotors n pads on our ‘20 need replacing again at 19k miles.
Same deal - massive vibration/pulsing when breaking at higher speeds.
Not looking forward to the wasted time and multiple trips to the dealer!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,436 Posts
Sad to report our replacement rotors n pads on our ‘20 need replacing again at 19k miles.
Same deal - massive vibration/pulsing when breaking at higher speeds.
Not looking forward to the wasted time and multiple trips to the dealer!
I would ask them to drive the loaner to your house with the paperwork and pickup the Ascent that needs rrpair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So after SOA replaced our 2019 with a 2020 after 4 sets of new rotors...we just went to the dealer with our 2020 at 15,000 miles and the front rotors had to be resurfaced due to them being warped. There is clearly some issue with the design in these cars. I have owned many cars, both mew and used in my life and I have NEVER seen anything like this. The fact is everything has been covered under warranty, and SOA avoided a lemon complaint by essentially buying back our 2019 but now that the 2020 has warped rotors, it doesn’t give me great long term confidence in the car... I don’t want to have to get new rotors once this thing is out of warranty every 15k miles...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,436 Posts
So after SOA replaced our 2019 with a 2020 after 4 sets of new rotors...we just went to the dealer with our 2020 at 15,000 miles and the front rotors had to be resurfaced due to them being warped. There is clearly some issue with the design in these cars. I have owned many cars, both mew and used in my life and I have NEVER seen anything like this. The fact is everything has been covered under warranty, and SOA avoided a lemon complaint by essentially buying back our 2019 but now that the 2020 has warped rotors, it doesn’t give me great long term confidence in the car... I don’t want to have to get new rotors once this thing is out of warranty every 15k miles...
If the rotors and/or associated parts have a design flaw you should easily be able to negotiate free replacements for life. At some point they will be able to figure it out, but until then, that would be one solution.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts