Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 21k miles on my 2019 Subaru Ascent. So far, I have had to replace the rotors TWICE. I feel this is a design flaw and I can't continue to replace rotors for the remainder of the life of the vehicle. Subaru needs to acknowledge that there is an inherent design flaw with this model vehicle (loaner Ascent vehicles that I have had also have this problem). Since Subaru has not acknowledged this issue, I feel like taking my losses for the past year and getting a completely different vehicle (which will not be a Subaru!) Please keep in mind the rotors and pads were completely replaced at 9k miles. I am now at 21k with severe vibration and do not feel my car is safe to drive. The rotors are warping due to excessive heat and need to be completely recalled and redesigned.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I have 21k miles on my 2019 Subaru Ascent. So far, I have had to replace the rotors TWICE. I feel this is a design flaw and I can't continue to replace rotors for the remainder of the life of the vehicle. Subaru needs to acknowledge that there is an inherent design flaw with this model vehicle (loaner Ascent vehicles that I have had also have this problem). Since Subaru has not acknowledged this issue, I feel like taking my losses for the past year and getting a completely different vehicle (which will not be a Subaru!) Please keep in mind the rotors and pads were completely replaced at 9k miles. I am now at 21k with severe vibration and do not feel my car is safe to drive. The rotors are warping due to excessive heat and need to be completely recalled and redesigned.
Why would you make such an unsupported, unsubstantiated claim? At what time frame did you have yours replaced, and what steps did the dealership use to install the replacements?

At 21K, I had my rotors turned, and the pads re-installed per the new method, and they have been fine for the last 23,000 more miles (I am about to break 45,000 miles).

The stock rotors stopped this big beast behind my Ascent when I forgot to plug in the brake controller.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I"m curious if others are having problems with brakes/rotors. I have my 2019 Ascent at the dealer today because at 10,600 miles I can hear a distinct grinding/rough brake feel. I have not heard back yet, but if the pads/rotors need to be replaced at 10,000 miles...there is an issue with the design.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I"m curious if others are having problems with brakes/rotors. I have my 2019 Ascent at the dealer today because at 10,600 miles I can hear a distinct grinding/rough brake feel. I have not heard back yet, but if the pads/rotors need to be replaced at 10,000 miles...there is an issue with the design.
Yes, I had the same problem. Mine were not replaced. I am still on my originals. They too vibrated and "grinded". They were turned at 21,485 miles, the pads were lubed per the new install procedure, and they have been fine since.

I am currently at 43,403 miles.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Do you know your build date?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I had my rotors replaced at around 9000 miles under warranty due to some warping, but it was no big deal to me. It would certainly never occur to me to sell the car because of it. If you run out a buy a new car every time some minor thing goes wrong, then you'll be changing cars yearly.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Not an exhaustive survey but 30 seconds of Googling shows:

Front Brake Rotor Diameter - 2019 Models
Honda Pilot 12.6"
Toyota Highlander 12.9"
Subaru Ascent 13.1"

14 months and counting of really nice, smooth and predictable breaking so far.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The rotors are warping due to excessive heat and need to be completely recalled and redesigned.
Rotors heating up and warping is not a common complaint. Do you live in the mountains or run race courses? Why do your rotors heat up when other's don't? Either there is a unique problem with your car like a sticking caliper or your driving habits.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Rotors heating up and warping is not a common complaint. Do you live in the mountains or run race courses? Why do your rotors heat up when other's don't? Either there is a unique problem with your car like a sticking caliper or your driving habits.
It did happen on some earlier Ascents, and Subaru changed the installation procedure to include lubricating the pads a certain way. I presume it was a break in issue, from what I could hlean based on the TSB.

But, there were no hardware changes, and the complaints dropped off.

Anyway, that's why I asked the op for their build date.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hello,
I also had a similar grinding/noise problem and it took visits to two dealers to get it sorted out. First dealer kind of blew me off saying braking sounds were "normal" but the second asked no questions and looked into it immediately when servicing my AC issue. They ended up turning the rotors and replacing the front pads at 4900 miles. Thank you Carter Subaru Ballard!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just to follow up on my post. Heard from the dealer, they are replacing the rear rotors as they are warped, under warranty. I hope I'm not here in another 10,000 miles... Love the car otherwise. I do not know the build date. We purchase in March, and had to wait a few weeks for it to be shipped...so I assume build date would have been somewhere around then.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It did happen on some earlier Ascents, and Subaru changed the installation procedure to include lubricating the pads a certain way. I presume it was a break in issue, from what I could hlean based on the TSB.

But, there were no hardware changes, and the complaints dropped off.

Anyway, that's why I asked the op for their build date.
Sorry for the sidetrack. Were the early problems noise or heat related or both?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Sorry for the sidetrack. Were the early problems noise or heat related or both?
Noise and pulsating. I think improper break in caused uneven wear. "Turning" mine and installing the same pads using the method on the TSB solved the problem.

Whether heat, or improper break in because of original installation method, or heat caused by the break in caused it, I don't know.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Interesting, back in May when I had about 5000 miles on the car, I had some grinding noises, although I didn't feel it in the pedal. It went away about 500 Miles later, no problems since.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My Ascent with 33k miles never had any brake noise. My loaner Ascent with 4K did. I’m not sure why the newer car was noisier.

·
Registered
148 Posts
hello,
I also had a similar grinding/noise problem and it took visits to two dealers to get it sorted out. First dealer kind of blew me off saying braking sounds were "normal" but the second asked no questions and looked into it immediately when servicing my AC issue. They ended up turning the rotors and replacing the front pads at 4900 miles. Thank you Carter Subaru Ballard!
Can you say who the unresponsive dealer was?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had my rotors and pads replaced under warranty at 14,000 mi.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My brakes have always felt very rough when applying them with some force ie: a quick stop. Guess I'll take mine in and see what they say.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had my rear rotors and pads replaced two months ago at about 10,000 miles under warranty. 2000 miles later, I suspect the same needs to be done. Called and could not get an appointment for 2 weeks at my local dealer. Car goes in this coming Wednesday. I'll put an update in when I know what the issue is.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts