Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rotor started pulsating so I know that the rotors are most likely warped. when I call the dealership they said that it was not covered under the 3-year 36,000 mi warranty but a 12-month 12,000 mile warranty. Is this true?

warranty seems to not mentions anything about rotors but brake pads, shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades, are covered for three years or 36,000 miles.

My dealership said that they could probably do a one-time good faith resurfacing it since it hasn't been resurfaced before. My ascent has only 16,000 mi on it so I don't know why it would be warping so fast.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
My rotor started pulsating so I know that the rotors are most likely warped. when I call the dealership they said that it was not covered under the 3-year 36,000 mi warranty but a 12-month 12,000 mile warranty. Is this true?

warranty seems to not mentions anything about rotors but brake pads, shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades, are covered for three years or 36,000 miles.

My dealership said that they could probably do a one-time good faith resurfacing it since it hasn't been resurfaced before. My ascent has only 16,000 mi on it so I don't know why it would be warping so fast.
there are other threads about the brake system including rotors that I suggest you read on this forum that cover the rotor concerns.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
My front pads and rotors were covered under the 3/36 warranty. Yours are too. Time for you to find a new dealer.
If I were in that position I would get the dealer stipulating to "not under warranty" in writing (maybe email) and then present it to SOA and the general manager of the dealership.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My front pads and rotors were covered under the 3/36 warranty. Yours are too. Time for you to find a new dealer.
Thanks I'll call around. It's just I don't want to drive 30 miles, the closest is just 6 miles from me.

If I were in that position I would get the dealer stipulating to "not under warranty" in writing (maybe email) and then present it to SOA and the general manager of the dealership.
Maybe they thought we bought it used!?? Lol but we bought it new from them. I'll see if I can get that done. Maybe call again, someone might give a different answer.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Thanks I'll call around. It's just I don't want to drive 30 miles, the closest is just 6 miles from me.

Maybe they thought we bought it used!?? Lol but we bought it new from them. I'll see if I can get that done. Maybe call again, someone might give a different answer.
used or new would not matter. The vehicle is still under the original factory warranty of 3/36,000 and therefore all warranty items are covered as per warranty contract.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
You shouldn't need a different dealer. You just need to make your local dealer aware of the warranty provisions. Politely note the passage in the warranty booklet that states the brakes are covered and ask them if "you're misunderstanding what it's saying." Give them the opportunity to explain it to you. If they decide the brakes are covered afterall, then you're good to go. If they stand firm, then I agree that a call to SOA to clear things up would be in order.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We just had our rotors resurfaced for the second time at 26k. Both were covered under warranty, but I wondering if I should escalate the issue to get new rotors? I feel like rotor thickness has to have been depleted pretty good with 2 resurfaces.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We just had our rotors resurfaced for the second time at 26k. Both were covered under warranty, but I wondering if I should escalate the issue to get new rotors? I feel like rotor thickness has to have been depleted pretty good with 2 resurfaces.
Has the dealer given you any idea about why your rotors are needed to be resurfaced twice? I too have a 2019 with 27,000 miles and have had no issues.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I would be concerned as well. I would want to know what the original spec was, what the minimum is before a required replacement and what it is at now. If it is too close to the minimum I would ask for a new set.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You got lucky with your dealership service. Both SOA and the dealers all tend to say it's really not covered at all. You're out of luck once you drive it off the lot since it's considered "wearable" bs. But why are the pads covered , it's also wearable!? Wtf

I will try to schedule an appointment and see what the dealership says. Honestly I'm not very impressed at all, this is no different than buying a Ford or GM and getting a middle finger back at the customer with the run-around game.

Even I had better experience with my Chevy truck.. SMH, way to go Subaru. Now I'm really going to reconsider buying any new Subaru in the future. I might as well but it second hand and save thousands and do the repairs myself.

·
Registered
684 Posts
page 4 on Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. copy came with a car at the time of sale .... Wear Item Limited Warranty WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades...

online today
Wear Item Limited Warranty
Wear item coverage for all models except Right-Hand Drive Legacy is one year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered include brake pad/shoe linings, clutch disk linings, and wiper blades.

·
Registered
28 Posts
page 4 on Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. .... Wear Item Limited Warranty WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles ...

online today
Wear Item Limited Warranty
Wear item coverage for all models except Right-Hand Drive Legacy is one year or 12,000 miles ...
Wow. Yeah, I see the same thing. I wonder if they changed it for 2020 but erroneously updated the web site to include 2019s also. (I seem to recall some other issue where the web site was wrong, but can't remember exactly what it was.)

In any case, regarding the OP's issue, it seems to me that the rotors would be covered under the "New Vehicle Limited Warranty" of 3 years / 36,000 miles. That section says "It covers the entire vehicle." The section about the "Wear Item Limited Warranty" specifically lists "Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades". It calls out those three items as specific "wear items", that's it. It doesn't say "among others" or "for example". The rotors are definitely not "brake pad/shoe linings". I'd fight.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mine is in for fuel pump recall, mentioned brake grind and seat fan noise when I dropped it off, and yes!, they were able to recreate both issues. Both will be covered under warranty. So they should cover your brakes. Service advisor acknowledged both of these are known issues.
Firm and kind usually works well. Don't go in there guns blazing....

Also found unrepairable nail in tire, sa suggested 2 ( not 4)!? tires, But since I run winter tires more than half of the year, I'm asking them to gauge each tire and see if I can get away with one new one (As I only have about 5k miles on them).
Plus, I am unimpressed with the falkens and can buy four new tires from a different maker for only about $150 more than replacing two falkens.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had grinding brakes, dealer said they would resurface, all work under warranty. They gave me an Ascent loaner to boot. I drive an hour to get to my dealer (passing several other Subaru dealerships on the way) because of the service I have received there.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I take mine to the same place I bought it ( Although there are at least four dealerships closer to my house), because I liked the salesperson, And I like to have a relationship with the dealership, in case there's some issue that they can work with me on, and even though they messed up my first service, they've been very good about everything else.

Interesting, I have a more base level loaner car without the HK audio, And I think it sounds better than that top-level system. The smaller wheels and tires also seem to wander less at highway speeds (Even though I run 18s for my winter tires), & the ride seems nominally quieter, but it could be the cloth interior muffles more noise than the leather. Seats are more comfortable also with the cloth, even without the lumbar and thigh extender. And I swear, throttle tip-in isn't as sensitive as mine, don't know if it's been recalibrated, or the smaller wheels and tires make a difference.

But as I've become high maintenance in my middle age, I can't live without my ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, and big sunroof!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just to update this post. I wrote to SOA stating my concerns with the rotors having to be resurfaced twice in 26k/16 months. Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned with the rotors on your Ascent. I'd like to assure you Subaru extensively product tests the features on your vehicle to ensure their quality. I am happy to hear you have been working with the service department, as this is best action to take. Rotors and pads are wear items and part of normal maintenance on a vehicle. I can confirm the service department has followed warrant guidelines with the repairs they have performed.

We appreciate you bringing your product experiences and concerns to our attention. I will pass on your feedback to Product Development for their review and consideration. Past input from our customers has been helpful in initiating changes to our products. Your comments provide us with a clear picture of our products as seen and experienced by our owners.

Thank you again for your message!

Just another disappointment in my ownership experience.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I got to admit one of the things that attracted me to Subaru was their attention to customer satisfaction and doing the right thing. Having your rotors resurfaced twice in 26k miles is not good. And I am sure that the rotors can be used safely after being resurfaced twice. I am frankly with you for wanting rotors with some life in them at the end of your warranty period. This is rather disappointing to hear about. I wonder if the flood of new Subaru owners coupled with the great sales numbers for the Ascent has taken its toll on Subaru's ability to do the right thing for you. I keep hearing little issues like this on the forum and got to wonder what is going on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts