Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Ours is starting to also pulsate but the dealer says that it's not covered but they will do a good faith one time repair. BS lol 2yr 16k only. I called a couple dealerships no one seems to know the answer whether it's covered under the three year 36,000 mi. Give me the run around.

Maybe it's time to go buy the new Highlander. Lol I swear Toyota service centers do a better job at costumer concerns.
this is an issue with your dealer not Subaru. Contact Subaru of America to get confirmation it is covered and to let them know of your disappointment in the dealerships. This is the only way to keep the dealerships accountable.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,416 Posts
Brakes (and wiper blades) are specifically called out on the written Subaru new car warranty as being covered during the 3/36 OEM warranty period.

Reactions: Northern Ty

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ours is starting to also pulsate but the dealer says that it's not covered but they will do a good faith one time repair. BS lol 2yr 16k only. I called a couple dealerships no one seems to know the answer whether it's covered under the three year 36,000 mi. Give me the run around.

Maybe it's time to go buy the new Highlander. Lol I swear Toyota service centers do a better job at costumer concerns.
Premature wear is listed as a coverage item in the warranty, take it to the dealer and also reach out to SOA for assistance

·
Registered
473 Posts
Premature wear is listed as a coverage item in the warranty, take it to the dealer and also reach out to SOA for assistance
I called SOA today, they gave me a BS run around that it is a wearable part, NOT COVERED under the 3/36k. Really? What kind of BS is that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Complete BS ( from the mothership), listed as covered under 3/36. Mine are being covered under warranty as I write this at 13 k miles. Noise/sensation wasn't excessive, but it was present. I just have to remind them to replace the wipers (also covered) while they have it in the shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem. I have a 20/20 ascent limited edition and after 3,000 mi they had to turn the rotors. At 4,000 mi they turned the rotors again. At 4500 mi they replaced all of the rotors. I now have a little over 6,000 mi on it and the rotors are bad again. I have been talking to Subaru headquarters and they are very helpful. anyone having issues I would suggest that you talk to them directly and they will work with your dealership. Curious to hear anyone's updates. I purchased this in October of 2019.
Hello just had my rotors turned at 14,000 miles on my Subaru Ascent, we purchased our vehicle September 2018. Have they did anything to resolve your problem with the rotors yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had my rotors turned on my Subaru Ascent. It has only 14,000 miles and the front rotors were uneven already. I was told it would be a courtesy repair because it was not covered under warranty. Such nonsense, where is the Subaru "love" in that, Subaru needs to step up and figure out what's going on with their brakes. Especially since its the brakes, how many people will ignore the vibration and carry on driving their cars, making it unsafe for them and other drivers on the road. I put in a complaint with the NHTSA below.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just got my ascent back from the dealership today. They resurfaced it, reglazed the pads etc and shaved from .7 to .2, something like that.

They said they've received a few ascent that had that problem. So it must be a known issue yet Subaru isn't going to do anything about it. At least it was free. And it should be!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I have read rotors should last between 30,000 and 70,000 miles (also read 50,000 - 70,000). Make them accountable and educate them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just my thoughts from many years of racing and obviously going through A LOT of pads and rotors. Seldom does a rotor warp unless if you heat them the hell up and then dunk them in water. More often then not, it is uneven pad deposits on the rotor that cause the sensation that you feel as a warped rotor. This could be caused by not properly bedding the brakes in when new, parking the car with very hot brakes, etc. In all honesty, our cars "should" have enough brake mass in the rotor to deal with the heat we are putting into them so it must be a wonky pad compound. I drive aggressive, and usually with 7 people in the car, do I put my brakes through A LOT...including a track day fundraiser going 100+. Do i sense some vibration, yes. It comes and goes. If I did a bed-in procedure, it'd likely go away. But is it unsafe, no. The car will still stop, it'll just not feel right. I suspect that utilizing a different pad compound will likely cure this issue.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Glad you posted on this thread. Been meaning to get back to it, but forgot. I'm now just passed 10,000 miles on the new (v2) front pads on my same rotors. No vibrations. So far so good. I suspect changes in the pads that alleviated pad deposits (or alleviated uneven pad deposits). Even towing through the mountains (which is something I did not do on my original pads) hasn't caused any vibration.

Just my thoughts from many years of racing and obviously going through A LOT of pads and rotors. Seldom does a rotor warp unless if you heat them the hell up and then dunk them in water. More often then not, it is uneven pad deposits on the rotor that cause the sensation that you feel as a warped rotor. This could be caused by not properly bedding the brakes in when new, parking the car with very hot brakes, etc. In all honesty, our cars "should" have enough brake mass in the rotor to deal with the heat we are putting into them so it must be a wonky pad compound. I drive aggressive, and usually with 7 people in the car, do I put my brakes through A LOT...including a track day fundraiser going 100+. Do i sense some vibration, yes. It comes and goes. If I did a bed-in procedure, it'd likely go away. But is it unsafe, no. The car will still stop, it'll just not feel right. I suspect that utilizing a different pad compound will likely cure this issue.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I took my 2020 Ascent Premium in to the dealer for brake pulsing/grinding after firm braking. They called me back and said it was warped rotors and were going to replace, takes a couple days for parts and labor. No problem with warranty he said, all covered under the 3 year, 36,000 miles.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
I took my 2020 Ascent Premium in to the dealer for brake pulsing/grinding after firm braking. They called me back and said it was warped rotors and were going to replace, takes a couple days for parts and labor. No problem with warranty he said, all covered under the 3 year, 36,000 miles.
Have them check the TSB, as it's the pads that need replacement, not the rotors. Let them replace the rotors too, since they're willing, but that's not the solution.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
TSB 06-78-20. Front pad redesign to stop noise, vibration, etc. Remember, you will have a full thousand mile break-in to perform, once they are done.

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just spoke to the service tech. He told me they are aware of the TSB, but that this was not it, needed the rotors. When asked about break in for the new components, he said there would not be need, they do the break in for me. Not sure what break in is done. When I pick it up and see the bill/receipt, I'll pass that along.

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
WHEN it starts vibrating again, have them perform the steps in the TSB.

I've been there, done this all already. Anyway, I will work on getting the TSB wording changed to more accurately indicate the issue.

·
Registered
398 Posts
WHEN it starts vibrating again, have them perform the steps in the TSB.

I've been there, done this all already. Anyway, I will work on getting the TSB wording changed to more accurately indicate the issue.
Thanks for the speedy replies!
BTW, I've never experienced any squeak from my brakes on this car. It also does not pull one way or the other. I do not notice any drop in brake performance, just the grinding noise and sensation when firmly braking and only when longer or several shorter maneuvers. Especially returning from the ski resort, a 2 lane downhill run from 7000' to 2000' over 30 miles. I know the road and drive accordingly. Ha! After 4 previous Foresters, it's obvious with this car this season. Last ski season, I did not experience this. The car was brand new in November, started driving it to the ski resort soon as I reached 1,000 break-in miles. Season ended early with the covid virus though...

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Yep, you're describing exactly what happens. Not all of us get the squeak/screech sounds. I've gotten dozens of people's pads replaced, which has resolved the issues for them. There've been others, myself included, where, instead, the rotors were ground or replaced, and the problem returned as soon as they were pulse glazed by the early revision/original pads.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts