Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the factory installed crossbars and I need a rooftop box. What is everyone using? I looked on the Thule website and it says there are no boxes that are compatible. I'm guessing that's due to the factory installed bars? I would like to use the ones that I have rather than purchase a new set of crossbars. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
212 Posts
Our Thule Force XT XL goes on our factory cross bars no problem. All of the Thule and Yakima (at least) boxes are designed to go on just about any factory or aftermarket cross bars out there.

For the record, this particular box has also been used on a Mini with factory bars, a Chrysler Town and Country with Yakima bars and a Tahoe with no name aftermarket bars.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a Thule Atlantis box. It's an older model but is a hugh help. It's the claw type that wraps around the crossbar. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thule Motion XT XL here, also using Subaru's aero bars. Works great, you can even open the moon roof with the box there.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I have the factory installed crossbars and I need a rooftop box. What is everyone using? I looked on the Thule website and it says there are no boxes that are compatible. I'm guessing that's due to the factory installed bars? I would like to use the ones that I have rather than purchase a new set of crossbars. Thanks!
based on posters below, I suggest you call Thule and ask, whats up?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Third, how tall of a ride would you say that is now? Most of the underground/overnight parking spots I find up next to the lifts have a lowish-overhead.

Thanks!
I can chime in: Mine is completely stock with the Thule Motion looking exactly like that in the picture. It's 7'-2" tall. It does not go through my 7ft garage door. I scratched the box at an airport that had a hanging steel bar at 7 ft. But the clearance everywhere else on the first floor was clearly around 8ft, the bar was setup for the higher levels which I had no intention of going anyway. Bottom line: you won't fit through 7ft clearance signs. If it's 7'-6" or more you'll be fine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
based on posters below, I suggest you call Thule and ask, whats up?
Don't even bother. They don't list it as compatible for 2 reasons:
a) The don't want to be responsible if your bars don't grab correctly.
b) They want to sell you the bars too.

Don't forget that the boxes sold by Subaru for use with the Subaru bars are actually Thule boxes. They are fully compatible despite what the guy that programmed the website says.

EDIT: Just choose the option that says you have their official Thule bars to fool the website and order the box only.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Third, how tall of a ride would you say that is now? Most of the underground/overnight parking spots I find up next to the lifts have a lowish-overhead.
Thule Force XT XL on the Subaru (Thule) extended bars here. Don't even try parking garages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So first, nice setup!

Second, what's in the box? Like, what do you use it for?
I've been contemplating switching from a fatcat6 to a box to eek out a little bit of extra room, but

Thanks!
It’s a big box. We use to haul a variety of things. Outdoor chairs, electric scooters, golf clubs. We didn’t buy it specific the Ascent. My other car is a Ford Expedition. We used that to haul a big RV and also had used this box. I like the way it looks on the Subaru.

it adds some height to the car but I don’t frequent parking garages so I haven’t given it much thought. We are using the OEM Aero cross bars.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thule Motion XT Rooftop cargo carrier. It fits factory cross bars. Opens either side, so I mounted in the middle. I set it up so with the rear hatch open, I have an inch clearance. I don't hear it or notice it's there other than in a cross wind. Does not affect my mileage either. I keep it on year round. Main reason I did not get a sun roof!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Using the Thule cargo box, size Large. We also have the factory crossbars. No problems whatsoever

Reactions: justmatt

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I am NOT a fan of roof cargo carriers (and I own one, and regularly borrowed another, for my Outback), but, that's a thing of beauty, and, if I could get one of those and paint it to match my Ascent, I'd be sporting that every day.

Thule Motion XT Rooftop cargo carrier. It fits factory cross bars. Opens either side, so I mounted in the middle. I set it up so with the rear hatch open, I have an inch clearance. I don't hear it or notice it's there other than in a cross wind. Does not affect my mileage either. I keep it on year round. Main reason I did not get a sun roof!
View attachment 7070

View attachment 7071

View attachment 7072

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
31 Posts
I have a Thule Motion XT XL. Minimal wind noise. I had cheap cross rails that made more noise than this cargo box does. I’ve seen a 15% decrease in fuel mileage above 40mph. It missed the rear lift gate by 6 inches with a lot of room between the open sunroof glass and the bottom of the cargo box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thule Force XT - size XL with subaru aero crossbars. Size is perfect for the Ascent and for aesthetics i like the dimpled texture of FORCE XT because it matches the texture and color of bumpers and fenders cladding. Price of FORCE XT is more practical and i say it requires less maintenance because dirt, dusts and bug stains are much less obvious than the shiny Motion XT. And the Force XT has aluminum reinforcements at the bottom. Buy the FORCE XT and use your extra money to buy other essential accessories. 👍🏽

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
31 Posts
I just got back from a 3000 mile road trip with my Thule Motion XT XL. I drove from Iowa down to South Padre Island and stopped everywhere in between to see stuff. I was caught in a torrential rain with extremely high winds. High enough winds that I saw branches and other large debris blown across the interstate along with visibility decreases so much I had to pull over. That being said I had very little water intrusion into cargo container and the water that did come in found the small grooves in the bottom and eventually evaporated. I am going to see if I can come up with some sort of weather seal for the cargo box but other than that I am surprised how dry the inside was.

EDIT: Also I will say the Ascent is an amazing road trip vehicle, I had 4 kids and my wife. Ranging from a 3 year old in a full size car seat to a 17 year old linebacker that is 6’ and 285. All the cup holders were so helpful along with the USB chargers in the 2nd and 3rd row. It is wide yet narrower enough to be agile in city maneuvering, long enough to be stable in high crosswinds, powerful enough to pass people and shoot the holes in traffic on the interstate. The only “issue” I noticed was that when fully loaded and in a heavy headwind the transmission shifting and control are somewhat jerky, it was reminiscent of newer electronic multi gear transmissions when they get warm and the transmission shifts are much harsher on up and down shifts. I do wish the transmission didn’t have the fake gear shifts and remained linear in acceleration. I managed to get 23.4mpg on the way down to Texas and 20.4mpg on the way back to Iowa. I spent $205 in gas for 3,009 miles of travel. Gas prices were between $2.49 and $2.69 a gallon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts