Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to find specs on roof rails. Does anyone know the width? I'm buying yakima jetstream crossbars for our Forester and can't decide between 50" and 60". I want to be able to transfer them to the Ascent when we replace the Forester.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought the Subaru crossbars but have not opened the box yet. I hate the idea of using bars that don’t lock to the vehicle so I’ll wait until something comes around.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
I bought the Subaru crossbars but have not opened the box yet. I hate the idea of using bars that don’t lock to the vehicle so I’ll wait until something comes around.

HA! I'm ahead of you!!!! I opened the box and even took them out!!!! :grin: :tango_face_wink:

But, that's about as far as I got. :sad:

Seriously though, it's sad that there's no locks for them, but, what others are doing with the very similar ones for other Subaru models is pulling the star/torx screws and putting in stainless M6 x 1.0 x 40mm security-torx screws which are a lot more difficult to remove unless you've got the right bits.

I am not 1000% sure about the fitment, since it's for a different size Aero for a different model, but, one can use the same idea with these and find the right size screws (if that size isn't correct).

Not a true solution, but at least it's a deterrent.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have attached a few photos from the roof racks I just installed. From outside edge to outside edge it looks like about 45 1/2. The inside edges on the most narrow points between the roof rails looks just shy of 40 3/4. They do sit lower than I expected for a stock crossbar, but they don't lock so these won't be on the car long. I also have a 2017 Forester XT that I have Whispbars on. The bars I have on the forester do adjust out, and while I can't remember the distance between the roof rails on the forester, I do remember that its only a couple inches different. I may try to fit them to the ascent tomorrow.

Another point to reference it the height of the rails on the forester are about 1 1/2 inches tall and the Ascent is about a 1/4 inch taller.

If you want other photos or measurements let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
HA! I'm ahead of you!!!! I opened the box and even took them out!!!! :grin: :tango_face_wink:

But, that's about as far as I got. :sad:

Seriously though, it's sad that there's no locks for them, but, what others are doing with the very similar ones for other Subaru models is pulling the star/torx screws and putting in stainless M6 x 1.0 x 40mm security-torx screws which are a lot more difficult to remove unless you've got the right bits.

I am not 1000% sure about the fitment, since it's for a different size Aero for a different model, but, one can use the same idea with these and find the right size screws (if that size isn't correct).

I am new to the world of cross bars. What do you mean when you say 'no locks'. Is this something to prevent people from stealing them off the roof?

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Yep, exactly.

HA! I'm ahead of you!!!! I opened the box and even took them out!!!!

But, that's about as far as I got.

I am new to the world of cross bars. What do you mean when you say 'no locks'. Is this something to prevent people from stealing them off the roof?

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you load a $700 cargo box on your vehicle with $300-$500 worth of property locked inside on a road trip and stop to catch some Zzzs, someone could just unscrew your crossbars with the locked box attached and take your property. Most safe means would be to have the crossbars locked.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Perhaps check out the Thule Aeroblade roof rails for something similar to the Aero, but with locks. Not sure if they will fit, since the Ascent isn't in a lot of compatibility lists yet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yakima jet stream 60” bars with showcase 15 box.
Would you be able to post some closer photos so I can see how high the bars are off the side rails, and how far they stick out? Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Folks all you need is a standard Thule or Yakima part called a “rail grab” these fit every rail equipped vehicle I have ever seen.

The Ascent has a very standard rail. Its not special.

This link is only for showing you what they look like. I know nothing of this vender

https://trekstorecincinnati.com/pro...eRiCEA8efIOH5YZPAfCJELR-hHPqkZshoCdIkQAvD_BwE

I bought mine in 2008 used with locks on Craigs list for $80. I used them on my 93 Land Cruiser, 2005 Sequoia and this past week my 2010 Subaru Outback. Next week Im swaping out the 54in bars for my 66in bars so I can haul a 18ft canoe side by side with my roof box.

Skip the Subaru stuff just get railgrabs your preferred brand etc. I use a Thule box on Yakima rack.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Not Many Thule Options that Lock

Folks all you need is a standard Thule or Yakima part called a “rail grab” these fit every rail equipped vehicle I have ever seen.

The Ascent has a very standard rail. Its not special.

This link is only for showing you what they look like. I know nothing of this vender

https://trekstorecincinnati.com/pro...eRiCEA8efIOH5YZPAfCJELR-hHPqkZshoCdIkQAvD_BwE

I bought mine in 2008 used with locks on Craigs list for $80. I used them on my 93 Land Cruiser, 2005 Sequoia and this past week my 2010 Subaru Outback. Next week Im swaping out the 54in bars for my 66in bars so I can haul a 18ft canoe side by side with my roof box.

Skip the Subaru stuff just get railgrabs your preferred brand etc. I use a Thule box on Yakima rack.
I already thought about that. The Rail Grab kits don't fit the rail shape of the Thule Aero crossbars.

The extended cross bars already come with locking attachments.

So, either look at Yakima, or here's the Thule solutions for locking rails:

AERO DESIGN (AEROBLADE CROSSBARS):
(these are NOT the same shape or design as the ones available from SoA - these are teardrop shaped)

EXTENDED/NOT HIGH-LOAD BEARING DESIGN:
BOTH of these (rails and grabs):

EXTENDED/HIGH LOAD BEARING DESIGN:
Get the Subaru kit: PN SOA567X010

Click "Flush Rails" on this page (there's no other options yet):

·
Registered
265 Posts
Measurements for Yakima jet stream 60” crossbar.

Thank you. I prefer the look of the flush mount systems. I don’t mind a little overhang but that might be too much for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If they are like the old Yakima round bars or Thule square bars I always bought the longer ones and then cut them down if needed. Easier than adding to them! Seriously, I like having them stick out a bit so you can add a bike rail or slide them one way and add a smaller ski rack, etc while still having the larger cargo box.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts