Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get some crossbars for my 2021 Ascent. What is the difference between the $500 crossbars vs the $200 crossbars vs the $95 crossbars.

I just don't understand the cost? What do you get with the pricy ones you don't get with the less expensive ones?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I guess it all the depends on what you will be using it for. Some are more heavy duty than others. More aerodynamic than others, thus less driving noise. Some will have a plethora of attachments to carry anything you think you would need to carry on the roof of your Ascent. The good thing lately is that products seems to be able to be used on any type of bar.

I have used Yakima products for years. Thus, it’s been a proven product for me. My bars over the years have been transferred to different cars. I expect that the current bars on both my Subarus will also transfer to other cars too. I’ve also used Thule products before too and had no complaints. Whatever fits the car the best was the deciding factor between the two rack companies.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring, Crystal White Pearl
15 Posts
I bought the stock aero bars, mounted them correctly (thicker side forward like an airplane wing), and had no issues with noise or a whistle. I only put them on when I need them since I don’t want to lose even 1-2% gas mileage and I drive 80 in SoCal, so parasite drag would be an issue. I have two pieces of 2” foam pipe insulation I cut to fit that I use as padding underneath whatever I’m carrying.

·
Registered
2020 8 Seat Limited (Crystal White Pearl)
62 Posts
Locking functionality is one of the major criteria. OEM cross bars do not lock - some aftermarket models do.

Cross bar width is another. Some aftermarket models extend a bit wider which can allow owners to attach more goodies up top (i.e. roof box [or basket] + bike rack + camping awning).

I would also say bar flatness is yet another criteria. Some aftermarket models are completely flat across the top.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Greetings,
Weight limit is the first criterion. As others have said, locking capability and flexibility (for bikes, kayaks, etc) are also factors. I suppose there must be some durability and ease of use differences as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts