Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends..

Looking for a roof type rack to mount a few gopro's and possibly a weather station. I have the OEM crossbars but they seem so loud and my gas mileage just plummets with them.

Anyone know of a sleek more aero dynamic rack for my 2019?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey friends..

Looking for a roof type rack to mount a few gopro's and possibly a weather station. I have the OEM crossbars but they seem so loud and my gas mileage just plummets with them.

Prinsu design roof rack maybe?

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Pushing the OEM crossbars as far back as they go should alleviate the gas mileage hit, especially if they are installed facing the correct direction (thick edge forward).

Prinsu works great for those without moonroof, but won't work for those with.

For the gopros, I skip the rack and use mag mounts and suction mounts. With the right ones, I've never lost gear. My Hero Max 360 sits atop a long extension pole on a Fat Gecko triple suction mount, or on a mid sized extension on a very powerful rubberized mag mount.

I can dig up links if you want.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey friends..

You can try wrapping a cord around the crossbars to quiet them down. It won't be whisper quiet but may be enough to not annoy you. I've done it to my Highlander and Ascent as well. Video is here:

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Neat trick!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Neat trick!
Based on concepts of fluid dynamics. Cars with vertical stick antennas from the past had them molded into them for this purpose. Below is how it's applied on my current Ascent with white cordage (use black if you want to hide them). I'm still able to put stuff on the crossbar since the cordage will just compress with the load.
Ascent crossbar.jpg

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
46 Posts
I guess you can use black paracord to make it look less conspicuous. I still get a light, high pitched wind noise through my moon roof seal even though I have compressed it as far as it can go with an industrial suction cup. I just don't feel like giving the car up for a couple of days to have the dealer install a new seal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pushing the OEM crossbars as far back as they go should alleviate the gas mileage hit, especially if they are installed facing the correct direction (thick edge forward).

Prinsu works great for those without moonroof, but won't work for those with.

For the gopros, I skip the rack and use mag mounts and suction mounts. With the right ones, I've never lost gear. My Hero Max 360 sits atop a long extension pole on a Fat Gecko triple suction mount, or on a mid sized extension on a very powerful rubberized mag mount.

I can dig up links if you want.
Thanks! I have used mag or suction mounts before but worry when in the middle of a tornadic storm I will lose one.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Thanks! I have used mag or suction mounts before but worry when in the middle of a tornadic storm I will lose one.
I'll share some appropriate links for storms. I use clamp on ones as well.

·
Administrator
9,239 Posts
Hey Eric, so, in another life, I worked as a grip, and gaffer on various indie films and series, so, I've done a bunch of rigging and grip stuff.

Here's what I use to attach to my rack on my rails.

I use the SmallRig SuperClamp on my cargo basket's thick tubing. There's others like it that are decent as well.

I use Smatree's and SmallRig's Action Cam to 1/4" adapter, and entirely replace the "bottom" half of the action cam mount with it. Smatree's comes with a really nice wrench.They're both solid metal. I really like the Smatree one, with its rubberized bottom.

I screw that directly into the SmallRig mount above, or I use one of SmallRig's Magic Arms, which will mount to either a hot shoe, or for what you'd need, you can unscrew the hot shoe mount and screw it into the 1/4" above. They come in different sizes, all the way up to 11"

ALL of those above are metal, and lock solidly.

And when I do suction in crazy places, I use this beast. Yep, it's massive - big enough for a full sized DSLR, which is why I use it along with the other mounts.

I've got a couple hundred pounds of other mounts, clamps, extensions, etc... but those are my favorites, which should work well for you.

When I do run magnetic, if it's close to the car, I use this and a safety cord. It takes a bunch of effort to pull it off the car - may be suitable for quick stuff NOT in a tornado, lol!

·
Registered
2020 8 Seat Limited (Crystal White Pearl)
58 Posts
Using string to reduce the Vortex Induced Vibration...clever.
I run Thule AeroBlade Edge cross bars - they have the cord wrap trick cleverly built into the design.

I don't think any tricks or design will totally eliminate wind noise with cross bars - but I am content with the minimal level that these produce. (and no whistling).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Eric, so, in another life, I worked as a grip, and gaffer on various indie films and series, so, I've done a bunch of rigging and grip stuff.

Here's what I use to attach to my rack on my rails.

I use the SmallRig SuperClamp on my cargo basket's thick tubing. There's others like it that are decent as well.
View attachment 11118

I use Smatree's and SmallRig's Action Cam to 1/4" adapter, and entirely replace the "bottom" half of the action cam mount with it. Smatree's comes with a really nice wrench.They're both solid metal. I really like the Smatree one, with its rubberized bottom.

View attachment 11119 View attachment 11120

I screw that directly into the SmallRig mount above, or I use one of SmallRig's Magic Arms, which will mount to either a hot shoe, or for what you'd need, you can unscrew the hot shoe mount and screw it into the 1/4" above. They come in different sizes, all the way up to 11"

View attachment 11121

ALL of those above are metal, and lock solidly.

And when I do suction in crazy places, I use this beast. Yep, it's massive - big enough for a full sized DSLR, which is why I use it along with the other mounts.
View attachment 11122 View attachment 11123

I've got a couple hundred pounds of other mounts, clamps, extensions, etc... but those are my favorites, which should work well for you.

When I do run magnetic, if it's close to the car, I use this and a safety cord. It takes a bunch of effort to pull it off the car - may be suitable for quick stuff NOT in a tornado, lol!

Super helpful Thanks!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I run Thule AeroBlade Edge cross bars - they have the cord wrap trick cleverly built into the design.

I don't think any tricks or design will totally eliminate wind noise with cross bars - but I am content with the minimal level that these produce. (and no whistling).

View attachment 11126
I have the same and get a ton of whistling / howling while driving in rain. Only occasional noise in clear weather.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yakima Jetstreams are great for us. Without any accessories they are pretty quiet even with the moonroof's cover wide open. However, just like all racks once you start adding accessories to it the ability to be silent goes away. We run a bike tray up there that isn't the most aero, you hear it but it isn't too bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts