Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently transferred my Yakima Timberline and areo bars on to my Subaru Ascent and am not super thrilled with the looks, fit or noise. Not that they are super loud just not as quiet as the vehicle they came off of. I had these on a Toyota previously and they fit great and were very quite.

YAKIMA
Snapped a few close ups of how they fit on the factory rails. As you can see there is about an inch gap on the outside and a half inch on the inside. (For anyone who hasn’t installed the Yakima mounts you have to line them up on the line in the middle of the mount).
View attachment 1777

View attachment 1779
RHINO RACK
Second set of photos are the Rhino Rack Vortex SX mounts. According to Rackoutfitters.com these were designed for the shape of the Subaru racks. These photos being from a Impreza, which looks very similar to the Ascents shape. These by far fit better and may produce less wind nose without all the large gaps.
View attachment 1781

View attachment 1783
THULE
Last photo is of the Thule mounts and aero bars. You can see in the back there is a gap but it’s substantially smaller than the Yakima but still not as snug as the Rhino setup.
View attachment 1785
I’ve always bought aftermarket Yakima mounts and bars because I need to carry boats and other junk and but am seriously considering branching out to another brand because of the poor fit on the Ascent rails.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Rhino does look nice and snug... closer to what I prefer but I’ve always had Yakima and been happy. What are the other specs? Have you tried adjusting the location of the bars on the roof to see if the noise reduces? I just installed them and expected to get wind noise and have not heard anything yet. What’s your spacing between bars?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great info - I did pull the trigger on the Timberline / Aero setup and they'll be arriving Friday. Should have purchased local so I could test and return... Never thought to check the details of the mount fit...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just installed them and expected to get wind noise and have not heard anything yet. What’s your spacing between bars?
Same question for you - what's your spacing - and positioning of your bars? I'll be installing Timberline / Aeros on Saturday.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same question for you - what's your spacing - and positioning of your bars? I'll be installing Timberline / Aeros on Saturday.
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. The Timberline/ Aeros aren’t annoyingly loud or anything. I just noticed them more than I did on my other vehicle. Also wish they fit a little better but most people probably don’t care about that.

I’m running 60” bars since I need more room. The spread is currently at 30” but I change this often depending on the load. With the sky box I go much wider and in the winter narrower to accommodate kids skis and snowboards.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aero bars noise

We just started driving around with the new aerobars that came installed on the ascent and noticed that there is a somewhat loud whistling sound. The square Thule bars on our forester never made a sound, but we also had a wind deflector that was factory installed. Are others noticing the whistling? I was also curious if there is a front and back side to them. There appears to be a slight angle, but of course there was no documentation with them to know for sure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We just started driving around with the new aerobars that came installed on the ascent and noticed that there is a somewhat loud whistling sound. The square Thule bars on our forester never made a sound, but we also had a wind deflector that was factory installed. Are others noticing the whistling? I was also curious if there is a front and back side to them. There appears to be a slight angle, but of course there was no documentation with them to know for sure.
I have them but have not installed them yet. Here is a link to the installation and there is a note about wind noise...although it has to do with the sunroof...but it says to move the front crossbar as far back as you can when not using it. Maybe that will help the noise? I hope they provided you with the T30 torque wrench that came with the aero bars.

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/AccessoryInstallationGuide/SOA843X010.pdf

·
Registered
978 Posts
Old sailors trick. Take a length of parachute cord it’s basically like shoe string. Then put a few wraps like 3-5 around the cross bar. If your curious which bar is the noise maker do one. The cord will disrupt the air flow and eliminate the whistle. If you hear no change take painters tape and put it around where the bar mounts to the roof rail. Most likely the parachute cord will quiet your whistle.

Last possible spot the front edge of the roof rail where it touches the roof. The outbacks had a rubber pad between the rack and roof that would flap sound like an angry bee hive or whistle. Once you locate the source there are cleaner more permanent fixes you can try. The paracord I just left in place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Old sailors trick. Take a length of parachute cord it’s basically like shoe string. Then put a few wraps like 3-5 around the cross bar. If your curious which bar is the noise maker do one. The cord will disrupt the air flow and eliminate the whistle. If you hear no change take painters tape and put it around where the bar mounts to the roof rail. Most likely the parachute cord will quiet your whistle.

Last possible spot the front edge of the roof rail where it touches the roof. The outbacks had a rubber pad between the rack and roof that would flap sound like an angry bee hive or whistle. Once you locate the source there are cleaner more permanent fixes you can try. The paracord I just left in place.
Thanks for the info. And it looks like from the manual that there is a front and rear, but side to side doesn't matter. I'll check first to make sure they were installed correctly and try the shoe string.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thanks for the info. And it looks like from the manual that there is a front and rear, but side to side doesn't matter. I'll check first to make sure they were installed correctly and try the shoe string.
When you do the wrap the idea is just to have a few wraps the length of the bar so the string changing the bar shape slightly changes the air flow and likely stops the noise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought the areo bars from Subaru and installed them myself and have been pretty happy. They look nice and hold my canoe just fine. I haven't noticed any extra noise, even with a canoe on top, but we don't have a sunroof.

·
Registered
71 Posts
RHINO RACK
Second set of photos are the Rhino Rack Vortex SX mounts. According to Rackoutfitters.com these were designed for the shape of the Subaru racks. These photos being from a Impreza, which looks very similar to the Ascent's shape. These by far fit better and may produce less wind nose without all the large gaps.
View attachment 1781

View attachment 1783
I've just installed the Rhino Rack Vortex SX mounts, and I'm very pleased by the snug fit and clean finish. I wish there was something to fill in or cover the space towards the center of the car, but haven't noticed noise problems yet. I positioned the mounts above the front and mid feet of the rail for now--nice not having an extra break in the roof rail line.

The black bars look great with the matte black body side molding. 54" crossbars would be fine if you don't like extra overhang, as the 59" I installed protrude about 6" on each side. The other nice thing is that these bars are shaped the same front or back, so no need to worry about that while installing.

I tried taking my own pics, but the sprinkler heads and black piping the the building's garage made it impossible to see any details. If there's interest, I'll try again outdoors when the sun comes out. (I used water-less car wash yesterday, and I'll be d***ed if I'm the Behemoth out of the garage on this grey, rainy day after all that effort!)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts