Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the Ascent does not come with swing over cross bars on the roof rack like the Outbacks have? My 2017 Outback has the swing over cross bars which I use often for my Thule Storage Box. Considering purchasing a 2020 Ascent, however that’s just another expense I’d have to add to the purchase price.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That is a big reason why I didn’t buy an Outback. I like the positioning flexibility that the Ascent and Crosstrek rails give with my Yakima rack. I can position my crossbars on the Ascent so that it doesn’t interrupt the view out of the panoramic sunroof. Or if my accessories requires a certain distance I can accommodate it. However, if all your using the crossbars for is to attach a box, then it is neat that when you don’t need it you can tuck it away.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Does anyone know why the Ascent does not come with swing over cross bars on the roof rack like the Outbacks have? My 2017 Outback has the swing over cross bars which I use often for my Thule Storage Box. Considering purchasing a 2020 Ascent, however that’s just another expense I’d have to add to the purchase price.
The only thing nice about the OB cross rails was convenience. They were not that attractive nor as functional and strong as aftermarket options.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I got my cross bars and hitch for free so I can't complain. Tbh, even though I have my crossbars on my 2020 Ascent, I've never had to put anything on them because my bike goes on the hitch rack and everything else fits inside

·
Registered
116 Posts
Since I own both a 2019 Ascent and a 2011 Outback, I agree that the lack of the hidden "swing-over" cross bars are one of the few negatives of the Ascent. We use our car-top carrier several times a year. On the Outback it takes literally seconds to open the cross bars and then the car-top carrier is ready to be attached. With the Ascent, I have a set of cross bars, but do not leave them on except when needed -- this lowers wind noise and improves gas mileage (probably minimally, I'll agree). With the Ascent, I have to retrieve the cross bars from the attic, find the little torx wrench and take 10 or 15 minutes to install them. Then reverse the process when it's time to remove the cross bars. The Outback "swing-over" cross-bars are definitely much more convenient and would be a great addition if Subaru would make them standard on the Ascent.

Reactions: Amers1

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
At first, I missed those bars (I had a 2010 Outback), but, when I went to install my roof rack on my Ascent, I had to move one of my bars to get it to fit. That's when I realized how limiting they were. Not that I didn't already know - I have a cargo box from my Outback that I had to drill new bracket holes in because they didn't align with the Outback swing rails.

Anyways, it's interesting, because the Outback is the only Subie those come on.

Maybe it can be an option on the Ascent one day, if enough people ask. IIRC, there's some licensing involved with some part of the design, but I doubt that will stop Subaru from making the appropriate arrangements if enough people want it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The only thing nice about the OB cross rails was convenience. They were not that attractive nor as functional and strong as aftermarket options.
I owned a 2011 Outback and quickly removed the swing bars once Yakima came out with their landing pads. Sometimes you need something wider and stronger or something that doesn't rock depending upon the load in motion. If the Ascent came with same fugly rails, I would not be an owner of the Ascent. I would actually like to see Subaru offer a rack delete option on both vehicles and/or provide a standard mounting option for the aftermarket crowd. Be so much easier for the Prinsu and others of the world. You can have style and function....wait, this is Subaru.....

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
I would have been happy with a "roof rack delete" option, myself... :) :D

Reactions: ATXV18&Ascent19

·
Registered
81 Posts
That ugly built in bars started in the 4th generation outback... before that, it had raised rails for Outbacks. But the 5th generation Outback flush rails came only on the 3.6R Touring trim. One of my friends have one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Those swing away bars are one of the reasons we didn't get an Outback! We needed the flexibility of a real roof rack. But I must admit, if you don't need a real rack then the swing aways are kind of nice. I liked them when I first saw them but when I realized I how limiting they were I was very glad the Ascent had a way to get a "real" rack up there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for sending these pictures. This makes much more sense now why some people would opt not to have the stock cross bars. Off the subject. How long is your kayak? We have a 16’9” Old Town Canoe. I wonder if your set up would be compatible for our canoe? For now we have to take my husband’s truck if we bring it anywhere, and I can’t drive his manual super duty truck if I wanted to go with my boys.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Off the subject. How long is your kayak? We have a 16’9” Old Town Canoe. I wonder if your set up would be compatible for our canoe? For now we have to take my husband’s truck if we bring it anywhere, and I can’t drive his manual super duty truck if I wanted to go with my boys.
My boat is almost 18' long. But that's a kayak, not a canoe. The Thule Hullavators are only for kayaks. For a canoe I'd use some sort of rear loader, like the Yakima Showboat, but that seems to be out of stock everywhere. Talk with a good paddling store or get an account at paddling.com, you'll get plenty of advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My boat is almost 18' long. But that's a kayak, not a canoe. The Thule Hullavators are only for kayaks. For a canoe I'd use some sort of rear loader, like the Yakima Showboat, but that seems to be out of stock everywhere. Talk with a good paddling store or get an account at paddling.com, you'll get plenty of advice.
Great! Thanks for the info!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts