Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With mixed results after searching the Internet , would like to know the options of go through automatic car wash with roof rack (manufactured,or after-market) still attached.
The idea of remove roof rack each time for car wash is a bit hassle. Off course there are options of hand washing, or touchless car wash.

Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
With mixed results after searching the Internet , would like to know the options of go through automatic car wash with roof rack (manufactured,or after-market) still attached.
The idea of remove roof rack each time for car wash is a bit hassle. Off course there are options of hand washing, or touchless car wash.

Thanks

I second the question. I take our vehicles to the gas station and carwash every weekend. Mine on Saturday, hers on Sunday. I fully intend on adding a roof rack to the Subie. It never occurred to me that might not be smart through the car wash.

·
Registered
486 Posts
i've taken cars with a rack through the car wash without incident. The forces on the rack are no different than driving at highway speed with a load on them. I don't think you will see any damage. The only thing you are guaranteed is a bunch of missed spots on the roof and between the rails. It may not be that noticeable with a vehicle as high as the ascent, but the dirt will be there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i've taken cars with a rack through the car wash without incident. The forces on the rack are no different than driving at highway speed with a load on them. I don't think you will see any damage. The only thing you are guaranteed is a bunch of missed spots on the roof and between the rails. It may not be that noticeable with a vehicle as high as the ascent, but the dirt will be there.
I have a monthly pass and wash my Forester with crossbars attached almost daily but I do miss parts. I would never drive through the car wash with anything attached to the crossbars though. No empty bike racks, baskets, bins... so if you plan on throwing a fairing or something on the crossbars for daily use I might reconsider.

Reactions: Scoobydoski

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Limited
11 Posts

Thanks
I have 25+K miles on our 2020 Ascent with the Subaru roof rack cross bars attached. Unlike the crossbars on our 2017 Outback which fold into the side rails, the Ascent requires the installation of the cross bars to be secured by 4 star drive bolts (1 at each root) that tighten down the bars at the owner’s choice of positions (fore & aft) on the side rails. I have regularly utilized a “full touch” car wash in my home town with no adverse effects. My dealership, Quality Subaru of Wallingford,CT, regularly issues free car wash cards to the nearby “Scrubbin Bubbles” full touch car wash as a customer perc. So the other day, I took the Ascent there. Near the end of the cycle, I heard a troubling “bang”. Upon exiting the car wash I noticed that the forward cross bar had been torn off the side rail on one side and folded back Under the rear cross bar. In addition to the irreparable cross bar, there were several scratches on my Abyss Blue roof paint. A new cross bar is ~ $135! The Car Wash claims that since the cross bars aren’t FACTORY installed (dealer option), they aren’t responsible.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
I use a touchless car washes (high pressure spray) all the time. They just have to have enough vertical clearance. I leave my hitch mounted spare tire carrier on as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well, quick story. My wife forgot we had the Thule cargo box on the roof and decided to go through the car wash, full touch kind. I got an email receipt that she was going through and texted her as fast as I could..."The cargo box is on the roof!!!" Apparently it wasn't an issue and nothing bad happened to my surprise. Now I'm just waiting for the time one of us forgets it's on the roof and tries to drive into the garage.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have the stock roof rack with the stock crossbars and go through the car wash all the time. The only issue is the car does not get cleaned very well where the rack and crossbars interfere with the brushes. Being much taller than the Ascent I notice but no one else does.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
179 Posts
Well, quick story. My wife forgot we had the Thule cargo box on the roof and decided to go through the car wash, full touch kind. I got an email receipt that she was going through and texted her as fast as I could..."The cargo box is on the roof!!!" Apparently it wasn't an issue and nothing bad happened to my surprise. Now I'm just waiting for the time one of us forgets it's on the roof and tries to drive into the garage.
There is a local chain here that has locations all over town. 2 of them can manage roof racks and tall vehicles and I've seen a "work van" with ladders on the roof go through one of them. I drove up to one of their regular locations the other day though and forgot I had the cargo box on the roof. Fortunately, they waved me down and reminded me it was up there. I drove about 15 blocks further (and on my way home anyway) and got it washed. 15 blocks beyond that was the other place I could have gotten it washed, but they were closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts