Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone determined the optimal length of the cross bar for use with a hullavator (or two)? I’d like as short as possible with enough hullavator drop down clearance to not make me panic... anyone know the magic length?
Thanks!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Has anyone determined the optimal length of the cross bar for use with a hullavator (or two)? I’d like as short as possible with enough hullavator drop down clearance to not make me panic... anyone know the magic length?
Thanks!
This is a very unique question that is impacted by the hulls your hauling and the loading efforts.

I have found over the yrs of car topping boats that this ideal length changes based on various conditions. I use Yakima rail grabs so I can use the basic round bar which is cheap to purchase and easily cut down to custom lengths. I have 5 different bar lengths in the garage each one has its purpose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Hullavator itself requires a minimum overhang that already takes into account the shape of the hull (since it’s the hullavator arm itself that is closest to the vehicle when it extends down the door) and it is dependent on the side vehicle clearance. There is a little bit of wiggle room with the length depending if the kayak is on the lighter or heavier side of the limits of the hullavator - and how many inches you find acceptable between metal and your paint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just installed Thule aero bars and rapid crossroads. For use with hullavators (and probably a 10ft boat and longer) the ideal length of bar is 60”. I called Thule this morning and they said 53” could work - which I don’t think takes into account the wide “hips” of the Ascent and I would not recommend. I have two 15 ft kayaks so it required setting the front crossbars as far forward as possible to clear the Ascent’s hips - this means the front rapid crossroads are in between the first gap on the side rails. If you have lightweight kayaks you may be able to get away with setting it back a bit and being careful - but this seemed the safest for a typical rotomolded average weight kayak. There was a door clearance of approximately 4.5 inches when weight was on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just installed Thule aero bars and rapid crossroads. For use with hullavators (and probably a 10ft boat and longer) the ideal length of bar is 60”. I called Thule this morning and they said 53” could work - which I don’t think takes into account the wide “hips” of the Ascent and I would not recommend.
Just to confirm, you did get the 60" bars, right? Can you post a picture of your setup showing the hullavator in the down position?

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts